Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

only took me a week to mentally get over it and post a report lol.

Was doing grand, 10m/ml pace till around 7/8 mile when the ligaments in my left foot went, i had suspected heel spur beofre was told it wasnt.

Soldiered on, the wind - god the wind - gave no relief so i was pushing all the way. Thanks to all me hill training and sheer bloody mindedness i ran all the way up the hill ouside leenane which was grand and all was going ok fitness wise but the foot eventually came too much, it was like someone sticking a knife into it each time i hit the ground. For a while it mercifully went numb, but then there was a change of surface and each time a car past (this was on the closed section, a lot of passing by medical vehicles) I ended up on the camber and the pain just creased me. So by mile 20 i broke down, walked a little, tried to run but my legs were siezing up, walked - slowly.

Got towards 21 so decided to do the computer trick - turn it off and on again. Went to side of road, relaxed, did stretches and decided to go for a 5 mile run. So slowly, slowly wound myself back up pacewise, got to 12m/mile 13m/mile and decideded that no matter what I was going to run every inch of the HOTW. And I did, the ****ing thing just never seemed to end though. The downhill after it also never semed to end, as the back of the knee started having a sympathy strike with the foot - and the other foot joined in!! So I was in a sorry state coming over the line, and afterwards.

However - there is a silver lining. I recovered a lot faster than after dublin last year. I didnt get tight chest like i did in dublin, nor any cramping in the core area. Apart form the foot, and the tightness in the knee, I was alright after I got home and into the epsom salts bath.

Next up - inis bofin half (apparently on a par with connemara half) so getting foot looked at tonight, spin and core class tomorrow, hoping to be running thursday.

time 5.04 (full now, not ultra :D)

Advertisement