Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Notwithstanding the rules and the health and saftey aspect..... Why anyone would want to wear headphones whilst in beautiful Connemara, surrounded by other nationalities, some doing the HM, Marathon and Ultra is beyond me. There's a time for an enjoyable trot around in an event and there's a time for racing... Neither of which should involve headphones in my opinion. Are headphones a way of blocking out the pain and/or the psychological battle that pertains whilst distance running? If so, shouldn't your training involve both physical and mental preparation and improvement?

Yes Connemara is beautiful, but beauty is something you behold with your eyes not your ears..
    I personally wouldn't have them in all the time, enjoy chatting to other runners etc., but once I hit the hell of the west I will have a certain type of music on to help me up that hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I'm staying in Oranmore with a relative that w/end, does anyone know if it's free to leave a car near the collection point for the bus bus to the start in Galway? Assume it's free parking given it will be a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

opus wrote: »
    Assume it's free parking given it will be a Sunday.

Yup, loads of parking for free right beside the cathedral and on all of the streets on Sundays

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Have a feeling I'm going to have a chronic taper madness for doing the Ultra! it's over a month away and even this far out i'm waking up at night thinking about it! Not even the fact I'm running the Barcelona marathon on Paddies day can over shadow it. Just spent my lunch break reading old threads and race reports #cannotfeckinwait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Yup, loads of parking for free right beside the cathedral and on all of the streets on Sundays

Thanks, was hoping that was the case. That's me sorted for transport so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

I will be driveing from kilkenny to Galway for the connemarathon leaving the day before if someone wants a lift. pm me if you want to join me for the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So, I took a drive out around Leenane/Maam cross today...... The beauty of the place will more than make up for those little hills... If your feeling pain, just take a look around at your surroundings, you'll be blown away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Anyone have any idea how soon after the race the buses go back to the city? I'm looking at hopefully running around 4 hours, thus finishing at around 2:30pm, so what time should I plan to meet family at my hotel?!! Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Rook wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea how soon after the race the buses go back to the city? I'm looking at hopefully running around 4 hours, thus finishing at around 2:30pm, so what time should I plan to meet family at my hotel?!! Thanks!!

The buses leave all the time, you won't have to wait long. There are loads of buses there, as soon as one is full it leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Best of luck to everyone running. I did the marathon last year, my 1st Connemara experience and I loved every minute of it. We had great weather and its a stunning setting. Totally different experience to city marathons and for me the most enjoyable marathon experience I have had to date.
    Would love to doing it again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Training going great, 2 good months of running since Christmas, then last Wed was doing a run on hills and my upper achillies/lower calf feeling rough after it. Presumed it was just fatigue, but still nagging me.

Hope this sorts itself out soon. Due to do 20m on Saturday but not looking likely at the moment. Any tips on how to maintaining fitness without upsetting the ankle? Don't think I could manage a cycle, maybe swimming? Or is rest the reccomended course of action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Training going great, 2 good months of running since Christmas, then last Wed was doing a run on hills and my upper achillies/lower calf feeling rough after it. Presumed it was just fatigue, but still nagging me.

Hope this sorts itself out soon. Due to do 20m on Saturday but not looking likely at the moment. Any tips on how to maintaining fitness without upsetting the ankle? Don't think I could manage a cycle, maybe swimming? Or is rest the reccomended course of action?

My physio recommended the cross trainer machine in the gym to me when I had an ankle complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Leave it settle for 5-7 days without stressing it too much. Its a hard run on an achilles that isnt 100% so dont jeopardize all the work you have put in so far. You wont suffer performance wise for reducing or postponing your run but following a plan and ignoring your body when it is struggling a bit , might be a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TonFla

Hey.
    Does anyone have the Garmin Course Route (looking for the course profile) for the half? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

TonFla wrote: »
    Hey.
    Does anyone have the Garmin Course Route (looking for the course profile) for the half? Thanks

The first post in this thread has a link to last years. The first post in that thread has the 3 garmin routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Just seen this on connemarathon.com
    CONNEMARATHON MOURNS THE LOSS OF SIMONE GRASSI
    Tue, 26/02/2013
    SIMONE GRASSI - CONNEMARATHON LEGEND

In the early hours of Firday Morning last Simone Grassi sadly passed away. He will be remembered by us all as a true Connemarathon Legend. Having won our Marathon in 2008, Simone's wide smile when winning the marathon for a second time in 2009 will never be forgotten.

He was so thrilled and his excitement lifted the entire finish area and it was the same smile that lifted our hearts when he walked the 2012 event surrounded, as always, by a large group of friends. A true friend, gentleman and gifted athlete Simone will be sadly missed by everyone. All three Connemarathon races on April 7th next will be dedicated to the memory of Simone Grassi and he will be forever in our thoughts.

Riposa in pace.

An announcement of Simone's trip to Connemara in 2012 can be viewed here
    http://www.connemarathon.com/simone-grassi-returns-different-circumstances

Some athlete to win back to back titles...

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Very sad. RIP.

Howdy all,

So I'm all booked in for April 7th; Connemara and the Hell of The West await me.

For the past few months I've been doing all my long runs out in Howth head and on Saturday I finished my second (and last) 20 miler going 3 times from Sutton Cross up the Head and then down through the village and back around again.

By the time the race comes around I'll have done 3 * 18 milers and 2 * 20 milers all out in Howth head. My 20 at the weekend was done in 3:15.

All in all since starting training at the start of December I'll have logged over 800km ranging from long slow runs to speedy fartleks and tempo runs ...

So , knowing all that ... I'm hoping to get around in sub 4 .... what's the general opinion ... do you think I've done enough to do it?

Thanks to all replies....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Howdy all,

So I'm all booked in for April 7th; Connemara and the Hell of The West await me.

For the past few months I've been doing all my long runs out in Howth head and on Saturday I finished my second (and last) 20 miler going 3 times from Sutton Cross up the Head and then down through the village and back around again.

By the time the race comes around I'll have done 3 * 18 milers and 2 * 20 milers all out in Howth head. My 20 at the weekend was done in 3:15.

All in all since starting training at the start of December I'll have logged over 800km ranging from long slow runs to speedy fartleks and tempo runs ...

So , knowing all that ... I'm hoping to get around in sub 4 .... what's the general opinion ... do you think I've done enough to do it?

Yes.
    Looks like your training has gone really well. Doing 3 laps in 3:15 is a great test, I think you'll be disappointed that you only get to do HOTW once on April 7th:D.
    I've probably crossed paths with you out in Howth!!
    Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Howdy all,

Great work put in, well done. I did my last 20 miler on Saturday too, also around Howth. But I ran from town which is 9 miles then around the hill, back to Sutton and beyond.
    I was also doing a 9 mile run with Howth hill every week.

Just thinking now, probably should have done 2-3 laps like you did. However always felt that downhill after the hill was a bit of a cheat as won't have that luxury in the race.

Would I be right in thinking that from bottom to the top of that hill is around 2 miles where as the HOTW is around 1.5 miles?

• Advertisement

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that from bottom to the top of that hill is around 2 miles where as the HOTW is around 1.5 miles?

Yeah Sutton Cross to the top is about 4.5k (although it does have a very welcome downhill section in the middle which lasts for 4 or 5 hundred metres!)

HOTW is 2.8k from flat to summit and there's also a 2.5k climb at around the half way mark so that's why I've been trying to replicate that as much as possible in training!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Brenner65

Hi All,

Getting ready for my first marathon. Been hounded by injury (mostly post tib) but finally got a 20 miler injury free in around the Phoenix Park last Sat. Had to give up the hill training a bit due to injuries but don't care if I end up crawling over the finish line as long as I get there. (Ideally 4:15-4:30 but if not I'll get over it).

Anyway, I was hoping some-one might be able to help me. I'm bringing along the wife and young kids for morale support at the end. My kids are pre school age and I see the spectators bus leaves at around 12:00 from Clifden. Was down at Maam Cross not so long ago and Peacocks hotel seemed to be closed down. I'm concerned that the kids won't be able to last the day standing around waiting for me to crawl across the line (if I see it :)). Ideally I was hoping they could at least get into the hotel for a bit especially if the weather was poor. Tried ringing peacocks but just get redirected to a mobile answering number. Has anyone any idea if the hotel will be open to provide some food and shelter to spectators? I think taking the car is a bad idea but at least it provides shelter for kids or maybe they can stay on the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

As far as I know , Peacocks opens at Easter and is usually the venue for all activities around the runs. the Ultra briefing is there along with the baggage drop , soup and sambos after. I reckon your kids will be well sorted there for a good few hours :)

info@peacockes.com might be your best bet for a reply. Check correct email address of the Connemarathon.com site in case I have it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Heading to Connemara for the full and looking forward to it. Staying in Galway so one thing I'm not looking forward to is the bus trip back into Galway after the marathon.

Does anyone know is there a lake or the like near the finish that would serve as an "bath" as such to give the legs some relief before getting on the bus back into the city. I'd not be expecting any changing facilities or that.

Any help from anyone with experience of it be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

bigslice wrote: »
    Heading to Connemara for the full and looking forward to it. Staying in Galway so one thing I'm not looking forward to is the bus trip back into Galway after the marathon.

Does anyone know is there a lake or the like near the finish that would serve as an "bath" as such to give the legs some relief before getting on the bus back into the city. I'd not be expecting any changing facilities or that.

Any help from anyone with experience of it be appreciated.

Literally across the Galway road from Peacocke's there is a lake that should suffice. (Take a look on google maps and you'll see there's lots of lakes and rivers in the area).
    Can't remember if there are any showers available but I don't think so. Certainly I've always gone back on the bus a smelly b@st@rd!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

belcarra wrote: »
    Literally across the Galway road from Peacocke's there is a lake that should suffice. (Take a look on google maps and you'll see there's lots of lakes and rivers in the area).
    Can't remember if there are any showers available but I don't think so. Certainly I've always gone back on the bus a smelly b@st@rd!!:D

The lake sounds idea to cool the legs off and help ease the bus journey :) Thanks, i'm not too worried about the smell on the bus but you would feel for the bus driver :D

Thanks

bigslice wrote: »

That bus journey is the most painful bit of the day for me. Between cramping and "upset stomach", it's never an enjoyable trip back to Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

That bus journey is the most painful bit of the day for me. Between cramping and "upset stomach", it's never an enjoyable trip back to Galway

how long is the journey?

statss wrote: »
    how long is the journey?

Probably 45mns I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

For those that have run the Conn Ultra before, I had some questions regarding the drop bags. I do understand that it is perfectly possible to run with what is on offer at the aid stations and any gels etc I may have on me, but nonetheless, I may as well take advantage....

Firstly, my goal is sub 6 hours (possibly sub 5:45), maybe a little quicker, but after the exertions of my marathon last Saturday, I will be taking it easy enough and enjoying it. I've done trail ultras up to 10 hours so am comfortable enough in terms of being on my feet for a long time.

- How big can each drop bag be? I'm thinking of putting say a 500ml bottle in each, maybe a gel, together with half a bagel or some pretzels or some other solid food.
    - I remember from previous years' threads that there was some thieving of the bags whether intentionally or unintentionally by half/ mara runners. Has there been any control on this over recent times?
    - I take it that if you leave your stuff behind in the bags at the drop stations it gets binned and you dont see it again?
    - Do I have to label each bag with any special instructions - ie race no, aid station?
    - Finally, is my understanding correct that we can check-in a bag in at the start to pick up at the end (with change of clothes etc)?

Any other hints or tips gratefully accepted!

Thanks,
    Kz

PS: In which venue is the post-race get-together in Galway (official or otherwise) taking place? :D

Advertisement