Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Firstly, congrats on your sub 3 in Tralee, I really enjoyed reading your report and I'm delighted it went so well for you.
    I was lucky enough to run Conn Ultra last year as my first real ultra (apparently 50Ks don't count as ultras;)) I'm sure there'll be plenty more answers with advice but here's what I remember.

- How big can each drop bag be? I'm thinking of putting say a 500ml bottle in each, maybe a gel, together with half a bagel or some pretzels or some other solid food.
    I don't think they specify exactly how big the bag can be but last year they ranged in sizes from full Tesco shopping bags to small zip-lock bags. Whatever suits you.

- I remember from previous years' threads that there was some thieving of the bags whether intentionally or unintentionally by half/ mara runners. Has there been any control on this over recent times?
    I had no problems last year but I went to a lot of trouble to make my drop bags distinguishable. I used clear plastic and inserted illuminous orange card with my race number and the word ULTRA clearly visible on all sides.

- I take it that if you leave your stuff behind in the bags at the drop stations it gets binned and you dont see it again?
    I assume so, I'm sure the volunteers at the last bag-drop do well, nobody feels like eating later in the race

- Do I have to label each bag with any special instructions - ie race no, aid station?
    You don't have to put your number on but it might prevent somebdy taking it. You can decide on the morning which drop bins to put them in, make sure you write on your pace band/arm where you left the bags, you WILL NOT remember later in the race (maybe you will but I'd be impressed if you did;)

Finally, is my understanding correct that we can check-in a bag in at the start to pick up at the end (with change of clothes etc)?
    Yes you can

Best of luck over the next few weeks.
    sub 5.30 is well within your reach but you are right to approach it with the attitude of enjoying it.
    Conn Ultra is a truly memorable race, you will love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Marthastew wrote: »
    Firstly, congrats on your sub 3 in Tralee, I really enjoyed reading your report and I'm delighted it went so well for you.
    I was lucky enough to run Conn Ultra last year as my first real ultra (apparently 50Ks don't count as ultras;)) I'm sure there'll be plenty more answers with advice but here's what I remember.

- How big can each drop bag be? I'm thinking of putting say a 500ml bottle in each, maybe a gel, together with half a bagel or some pretzels or some other solid food.
    I don't think they specify exactly how big the bag can be but last year they ranged in sizes from full Tesco shopping bags to small zip-lock bags. Whatever suits you.

- I remember from previous years' threads that there was some thieving of the bags whether intentionally or unintentionally by half/ mara runners. Has there been any control on this over recent times?
    I had no problems last year but I went to a lot of trouble to make my drop bags distinguishable. I used clear plastic and inserted illuminous orange card with my race number and the word ULTRA clearly visible on all sides.

- I take it that if you leave your stuff behind in the bags at the drop stations it gets binned and you dont see it again?
    I assume so, I'm sure the volunteers at the last bag-drop do well, nobody feels like eating later in the race

- Do I have to label each bag with any special instructions - ie race no, aid station?
    You don't have to put your number on but it might prevent somebdy taking it. You can decide on the morning which drop bins to put them in, make sure you write on your pace band/arm where you left the bags, you WILL NOT remember later in the race (maybe you will but I'd be impressed if you did;)

Finally, is my understanding correct that we can check-in a bag in at the start to pick up at the end (with change of clothes etc)?
    Yes you can

Best of luck over the next few weeks.
    sub 5.30 is well within your reach but you are right to approach it with the attitude of enjoying it.
    Conn Ultra is a truly memorable race, you will love it

Marthastew, firstly thank you for the congrats on the Tralee race - much appreciated.

And secondly, thanks very much for the comprehensive and prompt response to all the questions - that has given me what I needed.

Yes, <5:30 is quite possibly within reach, and I may readjust my goals depending on recovery - that said, I would rather regret having too much left in the tank in the end vs. being in the final third and regretting going out too fast, if that makes any sense - I think the consequences of the latter could be far harsher!

All the best and thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

congrats on your sub 3 in Tralee, I really enjoyed reading your report
    +1 excellent report Killerz.

Race numbers are up on the site, got me a palindrome 39093:cool:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Marthastew, thanks very much for post about the drop bags, much appreciated.

I've been trying out taking stuff other then gels recently, tried flat coke which went down fine and rice crispy square which isn't very heavy so that was fine.

Just curious what others will be either carrying or are planning on leaving in their drop bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

sideswipe wrote: »
    +1 excellent report Killerz.

Race numbers are up on the site, got me a palindrome 39093:cool:

Congrats on your "progression run" in Barcelona K, I'm delighted your training has gone so well. You will fly around Conn.
    39093 looks like a VERY lucky number:D My number last year was 39333 and it was incredibly lucky (not that I'm remotely superstitious;))

Cabaal, I'd stick with whatever works for you, I had flat coke and Rice Krispie squares, a banana, chocolate and in my last bag drop I also had a packet of Tayto cheese and onion, I only managed to eat about 2 crisps though:)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congrats on your "progression run" in Barcelona K, I'm delighted your training has gone so well. You will fly around Conn.
    39093 looks like a VERY lucky number:D My number last year was 39333 and it was incredibly lucky (not that I'm remotely superstitious;))

Cheers MS, if things go belly up in Conn I'm going to be cursing you anyway!!!! Yours was one of the races reports I read last year that made me register for this as soon as this years registration opened!
    Just curious what others will be either carrying or are planning on leaving in their drop bags?

I'm going to keep it as simple as possible- no solids, going to carry some gels and drop 3 bags at the stations 13/22/32, just to get something extra onboard before the 3 main climbs. I'm going for an iso drink and 'emergency food/treats' (jelly's/chocolate/banana) which will only be used if I'm really struggling. Only took 2 gels and a few sips of water and powerade during Barcalona last week and 3 gels during Donadea 50K and nothing on training runs, the less is more approach seems to be suiting me having probably taken too much in races before and suffering as a result......of course the extra distance is the unknown, hence the 'emergency' supplies.

Anybody know what sports drink is on offer around the course? Can't find any reference on the site.

Also what's the thinking behind flat coke over a sports drink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

sideswipe wrote: »
    Anybody know what sports drink is on offer around the course? Can't find any reference on the site.

Also what's the thinking behind flat coke over a sports drink?

They used to have High5, but this year they are sponsored by Kinetica, so I'd expect that's what we get.

Flat coke/sports drink is pretty much the same idea: get some liquid carbs, simple sugars. It depends on your stomach and/or taste buds which you prefer.

Killerz, we're in the same boat running Connemara after Tralee, though I think you must be kidding going for a sub-6. I comfortably ran sub-5 last year when I had this as my goal race, and while Tralee will certainly have left its mark on the legs it surely won't add an extra hour (at least I bloody hope not! :eek: ).

They used to have High5, but this year they are sponsored by Kinetica, so I'd expect that's what we get.

I was thinking that alright, but it says on the website that Kinetica will be giving out recovery drinks post race. Might email them and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

One tactic from last year was that myself and VaderMLK shared our bags which meant we could leave 6 drop-offs instead of three.

Also, remember that with Connemara the temps can be up and down in the one day. I had melted messy chocolate and lukewarm lucozade sport at a couple of my drop-offs before. Neither were appetising in any way so couldn't stomach them. Perhaps sweets are better than chocolate...

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭**Portia**

I am travelling from Dublin on Sunday morning yet got an email telling us the only place to pick up numbers is Galway or clifden on the Saturday! Wtf?! I only have accom for the Sunday night, what can I do?! I have emailed then so maybe thy will post it out as an exception or something...??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

**Portia** wrote: »
    I am travelling from Dublin on Sunday morning yet got an email telling us the only place to pick up numbers is Galway or clifden on the Saturday! Wtf?! I only have accom for the Sunday night, what can I do?! I have emailed then so maybe thy will post it out as an exception or something...??

Travel from Dublin on Saturday afternoon.

Even if you are made an exception you would need to be leaving Dublin at about 5am Sunday morning and you would be in no fit state for a race!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

**Portia** wrote: »

It's not normal for chips etc to be collected on race day, it's also not normal for numbers, chips etc to be posted out for big events like dublin, cork or connemara.

It's extremely unlikely an exception will be made, just being honest here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cabaal wrote: »
    It's not normal for chips etc to be collected on race day, it's also not normal for numbers, chips etc to be posted out for big events like dublin, cork or connemara.
    I'm not disagreeing, but I really think Connemara could make an exception from Dublin. There must be a good number of people coming from Dublin, maybe set up a stall somewhere the Saturday before hand somewhere for 3/4 hours to allow people to pick up packs? Or give an option for a €5 extra charge to post out the race packs?

I hate having to go down on the Saturday, try to find a restaurant with food that's going to agree with you, sleep in a strange bed, then have a breakfast made from hotel food

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing, but I really think Connemara could make an exception from Dublin. There must be a good number of people coming from Dublin, maybe set up a stall somewhere the Saturday before hand somewhere for 3/4 hours to allow people to pick up packs? Or give an option for a €5 extra charge to post out the race packs?

I hate having to go down on the Saturday, try to find a restaurant with food that's going to agree with you, sleep in a strange bed, then have a breakfast made from hotel food

Should DCM organisers go down to Galway the week before hand to cater for those in the west?

What's to hate about going down? We are in the age of the internet and recession in Ireland. Spend your time researching restaurants and accommodation, there are great deals out there.

Myself and two of my mates rented out an apartment for the Saturday and Sunday night. We will cook all our own food the night before, we will prepare all our own breakfast. Only 30e each per night.

Most beds are of decent quality these days.
    Galway is a great city, I enjoy going down and strolling around the day before. Certainly beats getting up at 5am and travelling from Dublin on the Sunday.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Should DCM organisers go down to Galway the week before hand to cater for those in the west?

Galway is a great city, I enjoy going down and strolling around the day before. Certainly beats getting up at 5am and travelling from Dublin on the Sunday.
    I'm just saying, if they find there's demand for it (1000 people with Dublin address' signing up for it or whatever), then why not allow people to collect packs in Evlerys Dublin rather than Elverys Galway. Just adds to the expense of running races these days. Even charging extra for postage would be a nice compromise.

I'd much prefer a night at home, bed early, then drive down in the morning (it's only 2hrs, prob leave my house in Dublin at 6.30), rather than wasting a night in admittedly a lovely city, but I'm not sure how much I can enjoy myself the night before a marathon.

I'm just saying, if they find there's demand for it (1000 people with Dublin address' signing up for it or whatever), then why not allow people to collect packs in Evlerys Dublin rather than Elverys Galway.

Why not? Because it's a logistical nightmare for organisers. Not everyone who signed up with a Dublin address will be in Dublin on Saturday, plenty of people make a long weekend out of it and will be in Connemara for a few days. How do you cater for that?

I have never heard of a race that allows packet pickup 150 miles away from the start, to be asking the Connemarathon organisers to do just that is a bit ridiculous.

Why not? Because it's a logistical nightmare for organisers. Not everyone who signed up with a Dublin address will be in Dublin on Saturday, plenty of people make a long weekend out of it and will be in Connemara for a few days. How do you cater for that?

I have never heard of a race that allows packet pickup 150 miles away from the start, to be asking the Connemarathon organisers to do just that is a bit ridiculous.
    I obviously meant people who want to collect it in Elverys Dublin to collect it there :rolleyes:.

All ya need is to put one more option on their signup page, pickup in Galway or Dublin. It's really not a big deal.

I obviously meant people who want to collect it in Elverys Dublin to collect it there :rolleyes:.

All ya need is to put one more option on their signup page, pickup in Galway or Dublin. It's really not a big deal.

You might think it's no big deal but the more complicated you make these type of things the more room for chaos- people forgetting where they chose to pick up, turning up on race morning without their bib and chip, changing their minds on location. Better to have it black and white, there are plenty of races all around the country these days, no need for mobile registration options, if it doesn't suit people, they won't be stuck for an alternative.

The post option at an extra charge might seem like a better option, until that is people turn up saying the postman lost it/dog ate it/I moved house! As I say simplicity is best. I did waterford last year and drove down and back (2hrs each way) and then back down on race day, believe me driving 2hours and running a marathon is not a good idea, make a weekend out of it and enjoy! I'm not having a go at your suggestion's by the way, just pointing out that running any event of this nature can be far trickier than one would assume.

Now back to the race, how to you taper and not pile on weight with a house full of easter eggs:eek:

I'm not disagreeing, but I really think Connemara could make an exception from Dublin.

What about Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Kilkenny, equally a long journey from any of these places. Can they make exceptions for them, what about people from the UK etc?

Can't make exceptions for everyone it'll add to the overall cost of the event.

At the end of the day it is the way its setup and its an early start so with the exception of locals most people will be staying the night before the event.

The best way is the most straight forward which is pickup locally before the event, whilst not ideal to everyone it still works fine.

I'm just saying, if they find there's demand for it (1000 people with Dublin address' signing up for it or whatever), then why not allow people to collect packs in Evlerys Dublin rather than Elverys Galway. Just adds to the expense of running races these days. Even charging extra for postage would be a nice compromise.

I'd much prefer a night at home, bed early, then drive down in the morning (it's only 2hrs, prob leave my house in Dublin at 6.30), rather than wasting a night in admittedly a lovely city, but I'm not sure how much I can enjoy myself the night before a marathon.

There are 3,500 or so doing it. There's probably a few hundred at most coming from Dublin. Of those, a very tiny minority, as in a handful, are probably going to drive down on the morning.

Why?

Because it is a much better idea to go down on the Saturday, have a very chilled out and relaxing day in Galway and be fresh for the race on the Sunday. For this reason there is no demand for a registration in Dublin.

A marathon is usually something people sign up to many months in advance, so very few people would not have made arrangements to have the Saturday free. For those who didn't or don't want to, then that is 100% their loss.

• Advertisement

So now you're asking to add an extra option at registration specifically for Dubs. Plus, they'd have to make provisions for anyone who either ticked the wrong box or changed their minds in the intervening months and now need to pick it up at the other place after all.
    Shedite27 wrote:

That's where you're wrong. It really would be a big deal.

Lads, go back there and read the entire thread. Obviously only meaning where there is the demand.

Wicklow Half Marathon is doing it this weekend, allowing us to pick up the packs in Dublin, Dublin 10k posts out packs, Dublin City Triathlon allows race pickups for people travelling on the day of the race. There are alternative approaches

Wicklow Half Marathon is doing it this weekend, allowing us to pick up the packs in Dublin, Dublin 10k posts out packs, Dublin City Triathlon allows race pickups for people travelling on the day of the race. There are alternative approaches

Wicklow is far closer to Dublin so it kinda makes more sense as alot of the entry's are likely from Dublin also.

Connemara is a more international event, amount of people from france, usa, germany, australia I spoke to last year was unreal.

Its the same as collection for Connemara happens in Galways, not in a town nearer to the start of the race such as Oughterard.

If you want to sight other events then:
    - Cork doesn't post out stuff
    - Dublin doesn't post out stuff or allow collections in any other city/town (how very self centered of them! ;) )

Again its setup the way it is because its simple and it works, why make things complex and add even more costs to an event for a few people that want to arrive on the morning of the race?

Plenty of places to stay still and you don't have to break the bank, I'm staying two nights (I normally stay one) and its costing me less then 100e. :)

Fair enough, and Ballycotton send out the race numbers as well, though that's definitely the exception and not the rule.

But to make a helpful comment for a change, most races allow pickup by a friend. If you know someone in Galway you can ask them to pick up your number and get it from them on race morning.

(It's still a bad idea to sit in the car for several hour before running a race, though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Killerz, we're in the same boat running Connemara after Tralee, though I think you must be kidding going for a sub-6. I comfortably ran sub-5 last year when I had this as my goal race, and while Tralee will certainly have left its mark on the legs it surely won't add an extra hour (at least I bloody hope not! :eek: ).

Haha, yes, that is a fair point, TFB. However, i have done no training beyond 26 miles for this, no back-to-back long runs and my feet arent in the best shape. Also, i dont want to push the pace on this one, i'm not going for all out effort!

You however have significant experience in the connemara and other ultras, and going at them at a good clip! I have some experience in longer stuff, but its on trails, a couple of years old, and at a slower pace. I will of course see how my recovery from tralee goes, but i wont be doing a huge amount of training in between.

All the above said, 6 hours is an outside goal, and i will make a call on it a couple of days out. Agggghh, stop tempting me to go that bit faster! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dhufaigh

statss wrote: »
    Hey,

I've emailed the info address twice over the past couple of weeks to ask to switch races, no reply as of yet. Can anyone PM me a direct email address for anyone working on it please? Would hate to miss out on the full over an unseen email.

Thanks

I'm in the same predicament, except I wanted to change from full to half. I messaged them around Feb via the online contact on their website. I didn't expect a reply as such, just thought they'd change me as I did this before a few years ago. Just checked this morning and I'm still down for the full, which I am not fit to do.

Have you had any solution to your query?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

Dhufaigh wrote: »
    I'm in the same predicament, except I wanted to change from full to half. I messaged them around Feb via the online contact on their website. I didn't expect a reply as such, just thought they'd change me as I did this before a few years ago. Just checked this morning and I'm still down for the full, which I am not fit to do.

Have you had any solution to your query?

a mate of mine got it changed two week ago no problem, i think he told them he was doing the half anyway even if they said no.(he was down for the ultra at first):D

I have to say from my own experience, the experience of some friends and from other boards users...the organisers are shi.te at responding to queries and requests.

I e-mailed them yonks ago asking about pace makers who run with balloons etc.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know for what reasons they would not be used in a race? Are they hard to find or is there a cost involved or what's the story?

I wouldn't have taught it would be too much hassle but I have no clue about such things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have to say from my own experience, the experience of some friends and from other boards users...the organisers are shi.te at responding to queries and requests.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know for what reasons they would not be used in a race? Are they hard to find or is there a cost involved or what's the story?

I wouldn't have taught it would be too much hassle but I have no clue about such things.

Pacemakers cost organisers very little (believe me ;)) and there are normally plenty of volunteers willing to do the job for little more than a free entry.
    I'd Imagine there are no pacemakers in Conn simply because it would be a terrible race to pace. I can't imagine what would be the optimal strategy given the hills and their locations. I can only imagine the complaints and negative feedback (they went out too fast, too slow etc) wouldn't be worth the headache. Also I can't imagine that running in large packs In conn is a good idea since the roads are open to the public and with all the races interacting with one another (ultras passing Full runners and both passing Half runners) large packs would cause a safety hazard.

Besides all this I think Conn is one to be enjoyed and not one to be too worried about hitting a certain time.

• Advertisement

There is a cost involved, but they are not hard to find.

Some people simply don't like them as it takes away some of the challenge. E.g. the RD in Longford will never allow pacers in his race for exactly that reason.

That's not really the case in Connemara, as the 2006 Connemarathon was the very first race in Ireland to feature a pacer as far as I know. It's entirely up to the RD if he wants them or not.

Advertisement