Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemarathon 7/4/2013

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

There is a cost involved, but they are not hard to find.

Some people simply don't like them as it takes away some of the challenge. E.g. the RD in Longford will never allow pacers in his race for exactly that reason.

That's not really the case in Connemara, as the 2006 Connemarathon was the very first race in Ireland to feature a pacer as far as I know. It's entirely up to the RD if he wants them or not.

Understood.

The course is a challenge in itself, I can't really see how a man with a balloon will make it much easier for me unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I did the full two years ago and (looking back) I enjoyed it, but probably not at the time. I'm booked onto it again this year but a neuroma in my foot means I haven't been able to run since November, so definitely won't be doing it :mad:

I had hoped to run around Howth hill for the last time today but this weather looks like it's here for a while.

Think I might cut my losses and do a run on the threadmill instead of risking catching a head cold.

Would an incline of 1% be enough on the threadmill to mimic some kind of a hill?

Don't want anything to difficult so close to the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

According to map my ride, the hill at mile 13 is 1.2 miles @ 2.4% gradient and the hill at mile 22 is 1.2 miles @ 3.0% gradient

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/163942096

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

ebixa82 wrote: »
    I had hoped to run around Howth hill for the last time today but this weather looks like it's here for a while.

Think I might cut my losses and do a run on the threadmill instead of risking catching a head cold.

Would an incline of 1% be enough on the threadmill to mimic some kind of a hill?

Don't want anything to difficult so close to the race!

As far as I know to even replicate running outside you'd want an incline of 2%. To replicate Howth Head you'd want a greater incline, possibly4, 5%... but I'm not familiar with treadmills so I'm just guessing at those figures.

I say go for Howth Head, what's the worst that can happen?!! (Ahem!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Shedite27 wrote: »
    According to map my ride, the hill at mile 13 is 1.2 miles @ 2.4% gradient and the hill at mile 22 is 1.2 miles @ 3.0% gradient

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/163942096

Both hills flatten out as you near the top, which significantly decreases the average gradient. The real meat of both climbs is a lot steeper than 2.4 and 3%.

I'm also pretty sure that the climb out of Leenane (mile 13 as you call it) is steeper than the Hell, not that I have ever measured them with anything but my own tired legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

I'm also pretty sure that the climb out of Leenane (mile 13 as you call it) is steeper than the Hell, not that I have ever measured them with anything but my own tired legs.

I'd agree with that - certainly on the lower section of the hill which feels like the steepest part of the course. It eases about half-way up and always seems to peter out before I expect it to. The real meat on HOTW is about half-way up I think - the lower section eases you into it after the school, the road then veers right and gets steeper, and it seems a longer drag than the Leenane hill until it crests the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

This is getting dangerously close now, hopefully it won't be sub-zero on the day!

A friend of mine who had a good performance at the recent Tralee marathon has somehow managed to get an entry into the ultra this week even I thought entries were closed for a while, no idea how she managed it yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

opus wrote: »
    This is getting dangerously close now, hopefully it won't be sub-zero on the day!

I got very badly sun burnt last year so ideally I'll be happy if its not warm as I don't handle heat very well.

As long as its not windy I'll be happy though...even if its cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 T1977

Opus I saw in the Irish Independent Fit magazine that you can get an entry through charities so maybe that's how your friend got in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cabaal wrote: »
    I got very badly sun burnt last year so ideally I'll be happy if its not warm as I don't handle heat very well.

As long as its not windy I'll be happy though...even if its cool.

Long range forecast is for 11 degrees with a few showers
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/maam-cross/208577/daily-weather-forecast/208577?day=11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

could do without those showers!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I can see the temp's increasing alright but outside of that its hard to accurately predict beyond 3 days so I'd take the showers with a pinch of salt for now.....time will tell of course

Hi. My friend has had to pull out of the full marathon last minute.

Anything he can do with his entry?

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi. My friend has had to pull out of the full marathon last minute.

Anything he can do with his entry?

If its for medical reasons then I believe he can change the entry to next year, I may be wrong about this.

Outside of that you can't resell them to other people

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Anybody any experience of Peacocks Hotel at Maam, have booked to stay there but have seen some pretty damning reviews online, looks like a handy option for a shower and change at the finish though regardless of the quality.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adrian36

Snip for breach of charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Anybody any experience of Peacocks Hotel at Maam, have booked to stay there but have seen some pretty damning reviews online, looks like a handy option for a shower and change at the finish though regardless of the quality.

wouldnt stay there,,would be half pushed even to use the jax....

Anyone know if they are doing the all you can eat pasta the night before like the did last year...

Or even hosting pasta dinners full stop, was awful handy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

T1977 wrote: »
    Opus I saw in the Irish Independent Fit magazine that you can get an entry through charities so maybe that's how your friend got in!

That could well be it, haven't seen her yet so didn't get the full story.

The P&D marathon plan I've been following to train for Comrades had a 24 mile LSR on the cards this weekend but a friend of mine told me I'd be nuts to do that with the Connultra next weekend so will scale back to something much shorter.

The Norwegians are saying showers for next weekend so no worries about too much sun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

ultraman1 wrote: »
    :eek:

*Frantically goes hunting for alternative*

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I'm really buzzing about this, it will be my first ultra. As well as buzzing, I'm nervous (did I do enough, what pace will I go, how do I manage my food, etc) and somewhat giddy! I actually had an okay lead up to this - not totally injury free but all things considering (including my past with dodgy running injuries), I'm happy.

I'm surprise people are opting out of the Peacock Hotel - it's a bed (an expensive one!) - how bad can it really be!!

Anyway, I thought I might call for an update on the roll call, this was the last I could find.
    Half:
    Bugsy2000
    ultraman1's da
    Martyboy48
    jmcc99_98
    T1977

Full:
    R O B
    The Rook
    dev123
    Stephenduffy08
    ciancullinan
    Conseng
    Puck
    Bigslice
    Shedite
    Adamski8
    popebenny16
    rovers_runner
    ofthelord

Ultra:
    johnsherwin
    Cabaal
    Vagga
    opus
    Killerz
    Toblerone
    me (ultraman)
    hot to trot
    canine marathoner
    Aimman
    Oisin11178
    TFBubendorfer
    Sideswipe
    theduke1
    eoin ryan
    McWotever
    Statss

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Alex_St

Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for the precious info posted here.

This will be my first ultra. I hope to finish it even if I had a little injury that prevented me from following my training schedule. Also for the first time in Ireland.

Looking forward to see you there. Will be easy to spot me - the guy who's bringing up the rear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Not sure if any of you are interested in a cheaper meal in Galway centre but looks pretty ok.

http://www.groupon.ie/deals/west/The-Western-Restaurant/19559154?nlp=&CID=IE_CRM_1_0_0_90&a=1227

Alex, will see if you genuinely are down the back.;) You can keep me company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Was just looking at the Peacock as my previously made plan's to stay in the G Hotel with my OH have been scuppered by baby-sitting issues:mad: Was thinking it might be a handy option as I'll be traveling late enough on saturday and just looking for somewhere to put the head down for a few hours. Is the Peacock that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TonFla

Hey. Anyone know if it's possible to drive to Leenane for the HM Start? Thanks

TonFla wrote: »
    Hey. Anyone know if it's possible to drive to Leenane for the HM Start? Thanks
    not suppose to ,,,but if ur dere very early or before the busses or masses arrive u d get a spot...shhh dont tell anyone i told ya;)

sideswipe wrote: »
    Was just looking at the Peacock as my previously made plan's to stay in the G Hotel with my OH have been scuppered by baby-sitting issues:mad: Was thinking it might be a handy option as I'll be traveling late enough on saturday and just looking for somewhere to put the head down for a few hours. Is the Peacock that bad?
    if ur stuck stay there but bring ur sleepin bag and a swim cap....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

if ur stuck stay there but bring ur sleepin bag and a swim cap....

:pac: Cool, I'm partial to a bit of camping, bit of a bonus that they have a pool:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Alex_St wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for the precious info posted here.

This will be my first ultra. I hope to finish it even if I had a little injury that prevented me from following my training schedule. Also for the first time in Ireland.

Looking forward to see you there. Will be easy to spot me - the guy who's bringing up the rear ;)

Welcome to Boards! Best wishes for the ultra, I think its gonna be awesome!

Really looking forward to this now - less than a week to go. Excitement levels building, must go and sort out my drop bags...... :)

Advertisement