Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray Foam insulation in Limerick

• 02-11-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I am thinking of getting some insulation done before the winter in my timber frame house attic and came across a few videos of spray foam insulation services offered by Fusion Insulation firm. Had anyone used them? I've rang them and as always been told that their product is the best on the market and suits the timber frame houses perfectly but I am a bit concerned about ventilation system they use, does it really works? I was quoted €1.5k for 175mm open cell spray foam insulation when their rivals quoted me over €2k for the similar job. Even though I 'd like to strike the best price deal, I still have few doubts as to how good the product actually is and is it worth the money paid. As I am not a technical person I would appreciate any advise on same as well as on the company in general. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can't do the cavity walls on a timber frame house I think as they already have sheets of foam in them.

What you can do is double or treble insulate your attic floor. It's quick and efficient. You'll also need to reinsulate the tank(s) and exposed pipes, as the attic will become pretty cold during the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatjana78

Sorry, maybe I was not clear enough, we are going to insulate the attic roof rafters only (I think if we do that there is no need to insualtion the attic floors), as our home is a timber frame we can't pump the walls, and I know that, I've done my research on same already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It comes down to cost.

Spraying between the rafters and doing a good job on insultaing the attic floor will do exactly the same thing ultimately, only doing the latter will cost only a fraction of the former.

The only difference is that your attic space would become a hot zone. Do you need this?

In most cases I think doing the attic floor properly should be fine, and it'll leave you with plenty of money to look at better sealing doors, windows, and perhaps an opportunity to fit a stove instead of an open fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tatjana78

We were thinking to convert the attic into a room later on, so thought using the spray foam will help to keep it warm so we don't need to use extra insulation afterwards. Or am I wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

sorry to hijack your thread, i have been toying with the idea of spraying between the rafters in my gaff, the lime rendering has all but dissapeared, so slates are starting to slip, would it be cheaper than removing the slates and putting on felt (or whatever is used nowdays) then replacing all the old slates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Can't believe anyone is considering this.
    Your roof was built with ventilation in mind... Spraying this stuff on will trap any condensation and prevent your timbers from breathing causing your timbers to become damp and rot.

If you need the space between your rafters insulated there are other ways of doing this but you need to maintain ventilation to the roof structure.
    Otherwise just top up your regular attic insulation.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

heck my gaff was erected circa 1890

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Can't believe anyone is considering this.
    Your roof was built with ventilation in mind... Spraying this stuff on will trap any condensation and prevent your timbers from breathing causing your timbers to become damp and rot.

The black plastic "trays" in the pic attached would look after the breathing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

got my circa 1930s roof done recently.used airseal sprayfoam from galway(090 9646756) they use a breathable foam which prevents
    dry rot.i had put a lot of research into the project and couldnt be happier with the outcome.sorry i didnt do it years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bootser

pilate 1 wrote: »
    got my circa 1930s roof done recently.used airseal sprayfoam from galway(090 9646756) they use a breathable foam which prevents
    dry rot.i had put a lot of research into the project and couldnt be happier with the outcome.sorry i didnt do it years ago.
    Hi Pilate,I was looking into doing this about a year ago but was eventually put off by the possibility of my roof Dry Rotting:eek:, how did you put your mind at rest and are you still happy with having gone for this in the end? Finally,if you dont mind me asking, are you in a detachted of semi-d or what? Sorry for all the questions but I do like the idea of going this route myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement