Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless card stuttering my entire system

Options
  • 02-11-2012 1:09pm
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

my wireless card (Logilink WL0066 PCI) is causing my whole system to stutter every time it gets put under duress (ie: when I load Reddit/play games online) and I just can't take any more of it! I've tried using the most up to date logilink drivers I can and the windows drivers but to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix? If not any suggestions for a non-bargain bin wireless card that will work 100% of the time? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Homeplugs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I just got homeplugs for my system recently and would never go back to wireless.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'll check out a set of homeplugs so, thanks guys.

Out of interest, has anyone else had a problem like this? Took me a while to nail it down to being the wireless card. It's really peculiar that a crap wireless card could graphically stutter the entire system.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Woah, I think I have this exact problem. It's intermittent, and I haven't figured out what's causing it, but it sounds the same and I have a cheapo Logilink wireless card.

Can you describe what happens a bit more? It's a bit like watching a skipping DVD for me when it happens. If I'm moving the mouse, it will freeze, then jump to the new position, with sound freezing and jumping also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cosypanther

Same problem here. And one more person (from Germany) seems to have it too:

http://www.gutefrage.net/frage/pc-problem-mit-internet-wland-model-hackt

If I have a solution, I will inform you.

• Advertisement

Woah, I think I have this exact problem. It's intermittent, and I haven't figured out what's causing it, but it sounds the same and I have a cheapo Logilink wireless card.

Can you describe what happens a bit more? It's a bit like watching a skipping DVD for me when it happens. If I'm moving the mouse, it will freeze, then jump to the new position, with sound freezing and jumping also.

That's it exactly. Basically I'm not sure what causes it but you'll notice as soon as the bzzzz bzzz bzzzz freezing crap happens, your internet connection will die. Go to the network and sharing centre (while the bzzing is happening, can be a challenge in itself!), click on change adapter settings (top left) and then disable the wireless card. The buzzing will stop instantly. You can re-enable the card then and usually that will stop it but it will happen again.

The only two things I haven't figured out yet are (a) a solution for the damn problem and (b) what kicks off the stuttering to begin with. It seems to be whenever you put the card under stress e.g. open reddit, watch a youtube video dl a file all at once. Can't confirm though.

EDIT:
    Same problem here. And one more person (from Germany) seems to have it too:

http://www.gutefrage.net/frage/pc-problem-mit-internet-wland-model-hackt

If I have a solution, I will inform you.

Dude in the solution appears to suggest any other wireless tech near the computer could be the cause (wireless mouse, keyboard, speakers, mobile phone). Next time I'm on the desktop I'll try using my phone near the computer and see if that's the cause. It can't be any of the other things, because I have wired all the other stuff :P

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Very helpful, thank you.

Assuming this is the problem I'm having, I'm actually hugely relieved, it's a cheap enough fix to replace something if I need to. My first thought was that it might be my new GPU crapping out.

It hasn't happened in a few days so I haven't gotten to really test it, but I do think that my network died last time.. although, I've played extended online gaming sessions with no failure, plus, it's happened when I've barely been using the computer (possibly large updates coming down in the background though).

I'm almost looking forward to it happening again, to confirm the source of the problem.

I've tried making a call almost inside the damn computer case and it didn't stutter once. Also dl'd all the updates for my apps and left it on top of the case, and nothing. 20 minutes later, phone is half way across the room and it just starts off again. No idea :P

Advertisement