Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area being upgraded to Ngb..... Will i notice anything

• 02-11-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Guys,

Just got word by dec we will have ngb in our area, im wondering will i see any change or much difference or will it mean better speeds????

Currently download of 5.60 and upload of 0.31

Work. From home and need better, hoping this ngb will help??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Dan82 wrote: »
    Guys,

Just got word by dec we will have ngb in our area, im wondering will i see any change or much difference or will it mean better speeds????

Currently download of 5.60 and upload of 0.31

Work. From home and need better, hoping this ngb will help??

Not really, as the length of your line is what determines your speed. All NGB does is remove congestion at the exchange so if your speeds dropped at busy times then there will be some improvement otherwise everything will be exactly the same

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Depends on which room inside their exchange you live in :D

Basically, no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Probably not. Did eircom confirm they were adding 24 mbit capability to your exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

They're still upgrading areas to ngb? I hope they'll upgrade a few more exchanges to adsl 2, with the equipment they pull out of the exchanges they've upgraded to vdsl. I'd hate to be stuck at 7mbs forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Dan82

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Probably not. Did eircom confirm they were adding 24 mbit capability to your exchange?

No just said ngb , i did ask then what speed i could expect but eircom never replied :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Generally if the backhaul gear is clapped out eircom have no choice but to upgrade it to ethernet backhaul. That is what NGB is.

Many NGB exchanges only run ADSL1 and do not have 2005 era ADSL2 standard gear capable of running at speeds over 8mbits.....however the backhaul is 1gbit capable.

Advertisement