Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dye jeans

• 02-11-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Has anyone ever successfully dyed their jeans?

I have a pair of black jeans that have faded slightly and I want to dye them so they're jet black again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yeah Im a big fan of new life with black dye!!

I personally find the Dylon machine dyes the easiest to use. I did have one disaster where I used quite chunky salt and the salt didnt dissolve properly so the item didnt dye properly, but usually Saxa salt plus Dylon machine dye gives best results!

I tend to run a wash of darks through next just in case any dye left, Ive never had an issue though.

I used the cold water dyes successfully many times before I owned a washing machine too and they are also good if you follow the instructions to the letter, but messier than the machine dyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Where did you find the dylon? Is it expensive ?

Most big supermarkets like Dunnes or Tesco should have it, chemists sometimes have it as well or places that sell things like curtain fabric and buttons.

I honestly cant remember how much it costs, I think its in the range of a fiver - could be wrong, definitely not more than a tenner though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I got it in Hickeys last year and it was around 8€. Black should be fine, I dyed my jeans red/purple though and it didn't work too well, should've bleached the blue out of them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I got it in Hickeys last year and it was around 8€. Black should be fine, I dyed my jeans red/purple though and it didn't work too well, should've bleached the blue out of them first.

Better off buying white jeans to dye them red/purple...better result.

Hickeys or most chemists sell them, cost €8 for the machine ones or €3.15 for the one you use in a basin. They work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭thier

I used Dylon black dye for machine use, but handwashed the jeans because I was afraid it would ruin the washing machine. It took about 30 rinses until the water ran clear and at the end the jeans ended up more faded than they were before I dyed them! I think the trick is not to rinse it so much.

thier wrote: »
    I used Dylon black dye for machine use, but handwashed the jeans because I was afraid it would ruin the washing machine. It took about 30 rinses until the water ran clear and at the end the jeans ended up more faded than they were before I dyed them! I think the trick is not to rinse it so much.

The machine dyes are designed specifically for machine use, so its not really surprising that it didnt work - they dont ruin the washing machine at all btw.

You should try one of the cold water dyes then, you can do them in a basin, no need to worry about ruining the washing machine etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

tan11ie wrote: »
    Better off buying white jeans to dye them red/purple...better result.

Hickeys or most chemists sell them, cost €8 for the machine ones or €3.15 for the one you use in a basin. They work well.

It was just to do something with my faded jeans rather than throw them out tbh, it worked okay but yeah, obviously didn't come out the intended red colour!

Thier the machine dye comes with instructions, afair you have to run the machine on an empty cycle after dying the jeans, so the machine is cleaned. I'ved dyed a few things pretty dark and the machine's always been fine, as username123 says that's what it's designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

oh i bought Dylon fabric colour this evening in Dunnes !! €6.29 and paid 89c for 1500g of regular food salt in a bag.

so cant wait to collect up the few pants and tops i need to dye. few days time i will do them , will get back to ye when i have them done .

Advertisement