Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballycotton 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dernipper

I know the race pack will state what time the road closures will apply but can anyone remember from previous years?
    Staying in the Bayview hotel in Ballycotton rather than Garryvoe & trying to see what access will be like pre race On the Sun morning

druss wrote: »

I know the race pack will state what time the road closures will apply but can anyone remember from previous years?
    Staying in the Bayview hotel in Ballycotton rather than Garryvoe & trying to see what access will be like pre race On the Sun morning

druss wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

dernipper wrote: »

So you staying there the night before or after ? I was there 2 1/2 hours before the start and you could still drive down there last year. I'd say that if you have printed proof that you are staying there then you should be fine. As you know the bayview is turn is about 200m from the start line you want to be their early. People are recommended to be their 2 hours before the start so you want to be there well before that.

Thanks, staying on the Sunday night, normally stay in the Garryvoe and get the shuttle bus but trying the Bayview for a change this year, normally arrive @ 10:30 so should be ok but better safe than sorry !
    rom wrote: »

So you staying there the night before or after ? I was there 2 1/2 hours before the start and you could still drive down there last year. I'd say that if you have printed proof that you are staying there then you should be fine. As you know the bayview is turn is about 200m from the start line you want to be their early. People are recommended to be their 2 hours before the start so you want to be there well before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Race numbers posted last week. People should be in receipt of theirs by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

if anyone is looking for a seat on a minibus from Dublin Bros Pearse may have about 5 seats at €25 each on a minibus up and down same day next sunday. text me at 087/3655596 if interested.
    Peter Vincent

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Weather looking good for Sunday, some light recovery runs and I ready.

http:// www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Ballycotton's so much better when the rain stays away what with all the waiting around beforehand. Looking forward to this - haven't run more than 8 miles in training but hoping that muscle memory takes care of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

irfrm wrote: »
    Weather looking good for Sunday, some light recovery runs and I ready.

http:// www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Cork/long.html
    That looks perfect. Looking forward to it. So, who's looking for a top 100 finisher's t-shirt? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Aww heck, this is really happening this Sunday :D.

Any advice for a first timer (not at this distance, but at this race). Will be driving myself down there from Cork (not a native of this area), and advice on when to get there or parking or what I need to bring with me from the Car to the village would be appreciated.

I'm guessing wear a tracksuit and hoodie over the race gear to keep warm, bring a couple of euro to get a drink or whatever while hanging around, should/shouldn't I bring my phone with me, is there somewhere secure to leave my gear and phone while running.:confused:

Thanks for any advice, i'm one of those annoying people who like to be prepared, must be from my boy scout days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

who's looking for a top 100 finisher's t-shirt? :)

I have an outside chance, but probably not. Will also depend on what time will be required ( <-- stating the blindingly obvious here :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

So, who's looking for a top 100 finisher's t-shirt? :)

I'm hoping for one. There wasn't a major difference in the numbers running sub 60 in Dungarvan this year compared to last year (a few less this year but conditions maybe tougher than last year) so I'd expect sub 60 to be required this year for a t-shirt - sub 60:30 at the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for one. There wasn't a major difference in the numbers running sub 60 in Dungarvan this year compared to last year (a few less this year but conditions maybe tougher than last year) so I'd expect sub 60 to be required this year for a t-shirt - sub 60:30 at the outside.

The time was 60:20 last year. I'd expect this year to be similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

That looks perfect. Looking forward to it. So, who's looking for a top 100 finisher's t-shirt? :)

Training has been blighted by injury so not in good shape at all. I should really sit this one out but I've never run ballycotton and I really wanna be there on sunday. Krusty if you need a pacer for a crack at sub 57mins let me know.

tunguska wrote: »
    Training has been blighted by injury so not in good shape at all. I should really sit this one out but I've never run ballycotton and I really wanna be there on sunday. Krusty if you need a pacer for a crack at sub 57mins let me know.
    Hmm... Now there's a thought! Surprised you'd travel all the way down there, if not racing. Did you manage to get a lift sorted?

Hmm... Now there's a thought! Surprised you'd travel all the way down there, if not racing. Did you manage to get a lift sorted?

Just gonna do it for the ballycotton experience. I mean I'd be running 10miles on sunday anyway so might aswell make a day out of it. I think the lift thing is sorted, I left that with paul and he said we were good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

lway wrote: »
    Any advice for a first timer (not at this distance, but at this race). Will be driving myself down there from Cork (not a native of this area), and advice on when to get there or parking or what I need to bring with me from the Car to the village would be appreciated.
    I parked at Garryvoe, but was coming from Waterford. I think there is another car park, which might be handier for you? Someone else should be able to confirm this. I was parked up at about 11am. Plenty of buses waiting to get you into Ballycotton.

Here's a link about parking http://www.corkrunning.blogspot.ie
    I'm guessing wear a tracksuit and hoodie over the race gear to keep warm, bring a couple of euro to get a drink or whatever while hanging around, should/shouldn't I bring my phone with me, is there somewhere secure to leave my gear and phone while running.:confused:

Definitely bring plenty of layers, hat & gloves. I found it very cold waiting around (about 1 1/2 hrs or so), and I only had a longsleeved top - I wasn't very well prepared for the cold at all. I wouldn't bring my phone. We were given a bag and put our race no's on it, and "hid" it in a field near the start, afaik there were a couple of marshalls who stayed in the field during the race, but you wouldn't want to have anything valuble, just incase.

Thanks for any advice, i'm one of those annoying people who like to be prepared, must be from my boy scout days :)

Best of luck, and enjoy the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks, Corkrunning. Do you know what time the roads into Ballycotton close in the morning? I am thinking of staying with a friend in Ballycotton on Sunday night, and wondered if I drove in at around 9.30 on Sunday mornign would I still get to her house? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Great info as always. The course preview is particularly useful, for anyone who hasn't done the race before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

PVincent wrote: »
    if anyone is looking for a seat on a minibus from Dublin Bros Pearse may have about 5 seats at €25 each on a minibus up and down same day next sunday. text me at 087/3655596 if interested.
    Peter Vincent

I'll bump this up for you P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Mise - I'd settle for sub-60 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭CorkRunning

Info on the start / finish area. Might be useful for first timers.

http://corkrunning.blogspot.com/2013/02/ballycotton-10-start-and-finish-area.html

Should be a good day, weather looks fine for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

tunguska wrote: »
    Should be a good day, weather looks fine for tomorrow
    Moderate breeze though... and a south easterly. Pretty much the opposite of last year. So be prepared to dig in on Mile 6 after the turn and again for the last mile up the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Moderate breeze though... and a south easterly. Pretty much the opposite of last year. So be prepared to dig in on Mile 6 after the turn and again for the last mile up the village.

Thought you always had to dig in for that last mile up to the village ;)

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

another great day at Ballycotton, weather was good, the breeze made it interesting from mile 6:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great day in BC. Missed this race last year, so having just popped my Ballycotton cherry :D, I can say it is all its cracked up to be.

24 of us down from the club, and despite a challenging wind between mile 6 and 8 I think the vast majority very happy with their experience.

I'm just off to look for the race song on iTunes! :)

Advertisement