Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polyolefin for window insulation

• 02-11-2012 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

When you buy Polyolefin to use for window insulation, is this the very lightweight stuff you get on rolls of clingfilm for cooking, or is it heavier? And is there any special kind of double-sided tape you need to use? And where's the best place to get it, from point of view of price and quality?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oh for the love of god......1st you are whinging on about the cost of insulation on the inset stove thread,and now its this.Get energy effiecent A+ rated double glazed panes fitted to the existing frames,if the frames will accept them.

Or else get new double/tripple glazed A+ rated windows installed.

short term pain for long term gain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

paddy147 wrote: »
    Oh for the love of god......1st you are whinging on about the cost of insulation on the inset stove thread,and now its this.Get energy effiecent A+ rated double glazed panes fitted to the existing frames,if the frames will accept them.

Or else get new double/tripple glazed A+ rated windows installed.

short term pain for long term gain

Paddy, let the poster have his opinion, no need to go after him about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

OP that is a very specific query you have posted, and very few people use that product.

I suggest you try the different products on several windows, and record how they do over the winter. TBH I doubt you'll notice any difference.

In my (brief) experience of using any 'clingfilm', it crap. Not worth the effort.

For internal glazing use 4mm polycarbonate, e.g. from goldstar plastics or the crowd in Ashbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

deandean wrote: »
    OP that is a very specific query you have posted, and very few people use that product.

I suggest you try the different products on several windows, and record how they do over the winter. TBH I doubt you'll notice any difference.

In my (brief) experience of using any 'clingfilm', it crap. Not worth the effort.

For internal glazing use 4mm polycarbonate, e.g. from goldstar plastics or the crowd in Ashbourne.

Thanks! That's a great tip. I'll forget about using heavy-duty clingfilm then.

Looking up polycarbonate, it seems to be what's used in making plastic bottles?

It's not that easy to use something rigid - our windows are old Crittall steel ones that aren't flush to the wall, and have sills sticking out in the middle.

As I figure it, to make a secondary glazing device I'd have to build a frame around 20mm deep by 2.6 metres high and wide, and fit the polycarbonate into it. I've never done any woodwork, so this be a bit of a kludge, though I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Thanks! That's a great tip. I'll forget about using heavy-duty clingfilm then.

Looking up polycarbonate, it seems to be what's used in making plastic bottles?

It's not that easy to use something rigid - our windows are old Crittall steel ones that aren't flush to the wall, and have sills sticking out in the middle.

As I figure it, to make a secondary glazing device I'd have to build a frame around 20mm deep by 2.6 metres high and wide, and fit the polycarbonate into it. I've never done any woodwork, so this be a bit of a kludge, though I'll give it a try.
    Yea thats it on the nose. Come in 20mm from the most protroding thing and make a new frame in your window surround from 20 x 20mm wood or approx. Paint and finish the new frame to match the existing decor. Now you can put in a single big sheet of polycarbonate against the new frame. Done right it will stop all drafts and reduce the U-value of your window from approx 4.5 down to approx 2.
    I'll post some photos of my installation next day or 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

deandean wrote: »
    Yea thats it on the nose. Come in 20mm from the most protroding thing and make a new frame in your window surround from 20 x 20mm wood or approx. Paint and finish the new frame to match the existing decor. Now you can put in a single big sheet of polycarbonate against the new frame. Done right it will stop all drafts and reduce the U-value of your window from approx 4.5 down to approx 2.
    I'll post some photos of my installation next day or 2.

When you say 20 x 20mm, you mean 20mm (less than an inch) one way, and 20mm (less than an inch) the other way? And how do you attach the polycarbonate to the wood?

Aha... this is looking distinctly possible! http://frugalkiwi.co.nz/2011/07/diy-magnetic-double-glazing/

Advertisement