Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time builder 600-700 region.

Options
  • 02-11-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey there interested in Building myself a PC. Ive had a Dell Studio 17 Laptop for the last three years. I never take it anywhere and only use it in my room so i want to build a proper PC instead of it.

1. What is your budget? & 600-700 trying

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly online watching avis/mp4s etc, downloading converting & files. I dont really game that much but might do a little bit when i get this.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? i have a 2tb HDD specs not at hand. have an LG optical drive again no specs

5. Do you need a monitor? will get that later for now will use LG lcd tv5a. If yes, what size do you need. N/A

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? i think 1920x108

06. Do you need any of these peripherals? keyboard and mouse and probably speakers. need to be able to connect to wireless router

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? would like to have the option to try this.

8. How can you pay? Credit Card & Laser paypal

9. When are you purchasing? no specific date.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]

Sorry if this is vague just trying to get an idea of where to start.</p>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Item|Price
    AMD FX-8320 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€158.51
    ASRock 970 Extreme3, AM3+, ATX|€72.44
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€43.32
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.20
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€85.04
    HIS HD 7770 GDDR5 1024MB DVI HDMI 2xMiniDP|€104.97
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€65.82
    8GB G.Skill RipJaws-X PC3-10667U CL9|€29.37
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€610.66

+

Homeplug instead of wireless (select amazon.co.uk on the right hand side as your seller for free delivery).

That's from hardwareversand. They'll take paypal for an extra 3% or alternatively you can do a bank transfer for no extra cost.
    They have a good selection of mice there so you can pick one that you like but don't buy a keyboard from there as it will be a German layout. Try amazon or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

thanks for getting back so quick. is the home plug as quick as wireless? what's the man difference in that processor and say an Intel ?

The homeplugs would offer a far more stable, consistent connection.

Well if you were looking at Intel, you'd be looking at the lower i5s (if you get a cheaper motherboard) or an i3.
    The Intel CPUs are faster per core, but on the other hand the i3s are only dual core (with hyperthreading) and the i5s are quad cores. The AMD CPU above has 8 cores. The AMDs can also be overclocked while you won't fit an overclockable Intel CPU into that budget and that's really where Intel would be favourable. Looking at your needs, if you're doing a good bit of converting videos, AMD will actually have the advantage. With watching videos, any modern CPU will fit your needs. Intel has a little advantage with heavily oriented gaming systems on account of being faster per core and games not using more than a few cores.

If it was a gaming system though, you'd be investing more into the graphics card - that card will easily run any game, but you might have to nudge down a few details in the heavier games.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭republic of goon

Monotype wrote: »
    The homeplugs would offer a far more stable, consistent connection.

Well if you were looking at Intel, you'd be looking at the lower i5s (if you get a cheaper motherboard) or an i3.
    The Intel CPUs are faster per core, but on the other hand the i3s are only dual core (with hyperthreading) and the i5s are quad cores. The AMD CPU above has 8 cores. The AMDs can also be overclocked while you won't fit an overclockable Intel CPU into that budget and that's really where Intel would be favourable. Looking at your needs, if you're doing a good bit of converting videos, AMD will actually have the advantage. With watching videos, any modern CPU will fit your needs. Intel has a little advantage with heavily oriented gaming systems on account of being faster per core and games not using more than a few cores.

If it was a gaming system though, you'd be investing more into the graphics card - that card will easily run any game, but you might have to nudge down a few details in the heavier games.
    thanks for that gives me a good idea what's needed. I'll see in the next few weeks if I can get this or even a bigger bbudget

The AMD is still a good buy against Intel for encoding even if you were to raise the budget. More general use though and Intel often grabs the edge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement