Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaviscon infant query

Options
  • 02-11-2012 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have a newborn just over 5 weeks who has been suffering with bad reflux. We are at the point where we are using sma staydown and gaviscon and so far it seems to be working. As you can't mix the two together we are giving the gaviscon before the feed as recommended by pharmacist by dosing syringe. Unfortunately she has begun to refuse to swallow it, spitting it out, choking on it etc - I dont blame her it absolutely stinks! Its at the stage where most of it seems to come back out and am wondering if any is getting into her.

Has anyone else encountered this and what did you do? Or is anyone aware of another product that would do the same thing but is easier to give? We are at the paediatrician next week for her 6 week check so we will be consulting him but would love to know others experiences, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I used the medicine soother that takes 2.5 ml at a time to give it to her when she was refusing it point blank... I'm bfeeding so was mixing the 2 sachets with the 15ml of water. Once she was used to taste she'd take it from bottle after awhile. I only had to give it for about 3 weeks though

I know the pharma reccomended before but we were told after feed by gp: might be worth asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

cyning wrote: »
    I used the medicine soother that takes 2.5 ml at a time to give it to her when she was refusing it point blank... I'm bfeeding so was mixing the 2 sachets with the 15ml of water. Once she was used to taste she'd take it from bottle after awhile. I only had to give it for about 3 weeks though

I know the pharma reccomended before but we were told after feed by gp: might be worth asking?

Yeah must ask when to give it. Never thought of medicine soother - must check if we still have ours. Last time we used it with our toddler she frowned at it and handed it back! Lol! At least this ones too small to realise its different to her regular soother.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

My little guy has reflux and gets pretty distressed from it. Doctor just recommended what we are already doing, small frequent feeds, elevated crib, etc.
    Doc didn't seem to rate Gaviscon, but I'm willing to give anything a try to help the little man. Please let me know how you get on and what your paediatrican says.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Paed said if baby was feeding well, which she is, then to stick with gaviscon - that it's enough. If not feeding well then would consider other meds. He recommended giving gaviscon separately and before a feed as it can be tricky getting it into them when they're full. He also said avent bottles in his opinion can let in a lot of air as they are harder than others. He advised tommee tippee or nuk, NOT Dr Browns as he said they get too frustrated trying to suck the milk out. Usually by 3/4 months they've grown out of it, about 10% will still have reflux at that point.

Like you I'd try anything in case it helps. Gaviscon does work well for us - worked great wit sma staydown formula, trying it with aptamil now as we are giving it separately now. Works well but not perfect so might consider swapping bottles. Medical soother worked great for a while but then didnt so we found putting gaviscon in a separate bottle on its own is working really well at the moment. Good luck with your little one inishowen lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

My son is nearly 11 months and is still on gaviscon with Aptimal comfort formula. He was on Zanatc until recently. It was the combination of all 3 that worked for him. We thought the gaviscon was doing the trick after a few days but our gp had warned us that sometimes, things can appear to be working but then they slip back. That's exactly what happened.

We use Dr brown bottles no bother but you do have to get the Y Cut teat which are specifically for thicker liquids. I think most brands offer a similar type teat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement