Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from hard drive to SSD.

Options
  • 02-11-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Right my head is about to explode!!

I have one SSD in mind and that is the Intel 520 series 240GB. I hope to be getting it off scan.co.uk. Reason for getting it off them? the warranty.(I have had an SSD before and it failed. So I want to get an SSD that has a low failure rate and a big warranty that's why I'm going with the Intel one). This is going to cost about €260. Then there is the Intel 335 series (240GB) This one is alot cheaper but newer so there might still be problems so I don't trust it yet. You have to understand I am so paranoid about losing my data.

Samsung 830. I have heard nothing but good things about these and they are a hell of alot cheaper then intel 520 series, but still i cannot convince myself to choose it.

Things i am looking for : Low failure rate. Big warranty. A trusted SSD maker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

In the same boat as you. I actually did alot of googling and heres what I found.

The intel 520 is good but slow with uncompressed files, ie word docs etc your normal stuff. It does have fast transfer speeds on large compressed files.

The samsung 830 is a very well know drive, has faster read speeds of compressed and uncompressed data even faster then the intel 520 in many tests I found.

The samsung 840 is and upgrade of the 830 but they are very similar expect when it comes to large files transfer speeds where the new 840 wins. It doesnt have a well know rep since its brand new and uses a new type of nand memory. It also has better power efficiency over the 830

I myself opted for the 830 for my needs is the best deal. Just google the **** outa the drives and see when you find. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GS540

Doylers wrote: »

I myself opted for the 830 for my needs is the best deal.

How is that SSD treating you? Any random freezes/blue screens? How long have you had it?

GS540 wrote: »
    How is that SSD treating you? Any random freezes/blue screens? How long have you had it?

I literally bought it last night dont even have it in my hands yet :D Wa recommended on boards aswell. I'll post up what its like when I get the drive and my laptop in the door next eek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 are currently the most reliable drives out there. I consider these to be better than what Intel has to offer. If Intel brought down their prices to the same, then they'd have something to offer with their longer warranty.

I'd be hesitant to get the Samsung 840 on account of the TLC NAND used. In short, it could mean a shorter lifespan. When more longer term tests are done, we'll know if it's really a viable option. It's new technology, so we should give it a generation. The 840 Pro would be the real successor to the 830, but it's expensive.

Don't compare specification in drives as they can be very misleading. Have a read of my guide on SSDs. More general knowledge stuff rather than comparing specific benchmarks but my recommendations are that 830/M4/840 Pro are the drives to choose for reliability.

Doylers wrote: »
    I literally bought it last night dont even have it in my hands yet :D Wa recommended on boards aswell. I'll post up what its like when I get the drive and my laptop in the door next eek

Oh right haha. well I hope its good to you. I think I'm gonna go for the one you ordered last night. It has the same warranty as intel and samsung make there own flash chips. Its cheaper as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I have 2 SSDs one an ocz agility 3 120gb in my laptop and a 64GB Samsung 830 in my htpc..

Had very little problems with either to be honest..a few bsod from the ocz but I think that's more to do with my laptop overheating than the drive.. And I think from transcoding blu rays..

The Samsung would be my ideal choice. Very low failure Rates a bit faster and cheaper..

In reality no matter what model you get there's a chance you'll get a bad drive.. Just happens more other with some companies

What price have you found online?

Actually you know what I think I'm gonna go for the Samsung 256GB SSD 840 PRO its only €20-30 more then the intel one i was gonna get.

and it has a 5 year warranty. Bloody hell samsung are pretty sure this thing will not fail and time soon.

Advertisement