Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth getting line connected for broadband that mightn't work

• 02-11-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just wondering if someone has any advice on this: Vodafone rep rang today offering me home broadband. I've been on the phone to Eircom before who said the line probably wasn't suitable (no neighbours have fixed line bb), and I was probably too far from the exchange anyway (about 9km by road).

The vodafone rep however was saying if I sign up for phone and bb there is a good chance it will work. The thing I'm wondering is whether if I sign up am I going to get screwed somehow - getting stuck with a landline I don't really need or paying for broadband that is useless. Is the rep just happy to get a sale and then leave me to cancel and complain later?! Or is it worth a punt?

I'm currently using mobile bb from o2 and the main reason for switching would be to get a bigger download limit.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sign up but stress the point that you are signing up to avail of broadband and if it turns out they cannot supply an adequate broadband service then cancel stating they are not able to provide the service you signed up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Crazy88

Yeah I might do, just hope I don't end up with some sort of connection fee or something like that. I think he said something about if they can't get a minimum of 1mb/s then I can cancel. I'm getting 3-4 mb/s with my mobile bb from o2 (once I hang it in the exact right spot on my window!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Crazy88 wrote: »
    Yeah I might do, just hope I don't end up with some sort of connection fee or something like that. I think he said something about if they can't get a minimum of 1mb/s then I can cancel. I'm getting 3-4 mb/s with my mobile bb from o2 (once I hang it in the exact right spot on my window!)

Why not get a 3G router and put it in the attic where the reception would be stronger and connect to the router via WiFi?

Not a bad idea, I have the o2 hotshot at the minute, usually have it propped on the top of an open window in a certain room in the house (the only place it works). Do you reckon a 3g router would pick up a better signal? It can be hit and miss the way I have it now. Also have two o2 bill pay sims to double up the dl limit but I have got stung badly by going over the limit before. Maybe worth sticking with the mobile bb afterall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Do you have any other mobile ISP available there?

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    Do you have any other mobile ISP available there?

Three is probably the only one that works, my sister has a 3 smartphone and picks up HSPDA signal fairly handy throughout the house. But after reading some of the things about 3 on boards I wouldn't be too confident about switching. Vodafone would probably work too but their plans are terrible value.

Unregistered Users

Actually I also have "3" broadband and I'm not really very happy of it, but it is the one with 65GB monthly allowance, so will not complain. ;)

If you're unsure, you can check with ComReg, where are ISP's transmitters around you:

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

You don't really have to switch to 3, buy prepaid broadband from them and check how it works. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    Actually I also have "3" broadband and I'm not really very happy of it, but it is the one with 65GB monthly allowance, so will not complain. ;)

If you're unsure, you can check with ComReg, where are ISP's transmitters around you:

http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/siteviewer.273.LE.asp

You don't really have to switch to 3, buy prepaid broadband from them and check how it works. :)

Good idea :) I will actually give three prepay a go. I was actually thinking of getting a bill pay phone of them with "all you can eat data", and then tethering on the sly to my hearts content. There is probably a catch somewhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

Good idea :) I will actually give three prepay a go. I was actually thinking of getting a bill pay phone of them with "all you can eat data", and then tethering on the sly to my hearts content. There is probably a catch somewhere though.

depending on what part of the country you are at, permanet offer quite a good service.... and even on their basic package , if you ask them nicely they sometimes increase your speed for you to that of higher one!!

i would have to confirm your concerns with three, that can be a complete nightmare, but if you wanted i have an unused dongle that you can have free to save you buying one, but def thread carefully before moving to three.

Even with the vodaphone, make sure you say you are prepared to try it on a trial to ensure it works first.....

with the tethering... sometimes tethering can be slow... and i read on another post that three may have stopped tethering.... im not saying they have, but read on a post here that they had....

but again i would have to say ... caution with regards to doing anything with three........

Unregistered Users

Forgot: when you zoom in to look at sites around you, make sure the nearest ones have 3G. GSM is just for phone calling. :)

• Advertisement

I'm afraid permanet are the complete wrong side of the country for me! I'm in the northwest/midlands on the Leitrim-Longford border (anyone know of any good fixed wireless suppliers round here :confused: ).

I seem to be about equidistant from o2, Three and meteor masts, but o2 and meteor reception is pretty atrocious unless you get in the exact right spot, weird that 3 seem to be quite good from what I've seen - I must be coming from a slightly further away from one that is up on a big hill. Thanks so much for the offer of the dongle, I think there might be an unused one from o2 round here, do they network lock dongles?

That 60gb bill pay offer for €30 from Three is very tempting :) I think I might try and deal with my local three shop and send any problems their way if I do take the plunge with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭finnegan101

I'm afraid permanet are the complete wrong side of the country for me! I'm in the northwest/midlands on the Leitrim-Longford border (anyone know of any good fixed wireless suppliers round here :confused: ).

I seem to be about equidistant from o2, Three and meteor masts, but o2 and meteor reception is pretty atrocious unless you get in the exact right spot, weird that 3 seem to be quite good from what I've seen - I must be coming from a slightly further away from one that is up on a big hill. Thanks so much for the offer of the dongle, I think there might be an unused one from o2 round here, do they network lock dongles?

That 60gb bill pay offer for €30 from Three is very tempting :) I think I might try and deal with my local three shop and send any problems their way if I do take the plunge with them!

yes i think they are normally network locked, think i saw something on net about unlocking them though... mind you if your getting a package like your thinking i presume they will give you a wifi one anyway.... well you would think anyway...

gd luck anyway

Advertisement