Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 wont accept disks or eject...

• 02-11-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭

Was going to post this in the Playstation forum but thought i'd be better off posting here :)

Basically a disk was inserted the wrong way in (upside down) and now is stuck. I checked google and newer PS3 models have an easy way to remove the disk. Problem is mine is first generation and most sites just say "get it professionally repaired" - So I rang up a console repairs store today and they quoted me "80-120" euro which sounds such a rip off. Just to remove a disk?

So here I am asking boards :)
    Can anyone advise me if I could tackle this on myself? or even what the going rate for such a repair would be?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Open the console, remove DVD drive, open it and remove disc. DIY job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why would it get jammed if it was put in upside down? Surely the console would just be unable to read it/reject it...the shape is still the same :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why would it get jammed if it was put in upside down? Surely the console would just be unable to read it/reject it...the shape is still the same :confused:

It probably went haywire when it couldn't read data off the disc, afaik realigning the disc loading mechanism is a pain that's why most people will tell you to replace the drive altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

justryan wrote: »
    afaik realigning the disc loading mechanism is a pain that's why most people will tell you to replace the drive altogether.

Yep I've had to do it before, it was somewhat frustrating but its not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

I had the same problem , to get the disk out, (atleast in my experience) turn on the PS3 manually while holding down the eject button, This will iniate and fan test but if you continue to hold the button down, it will eject the disk. its atleast worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I was putting it off for so long but tonight I opened up my ps3 to remove the disk (thanks to a tutorial on youtube) only to find out there was no disk in the drive :( (our ps3 is shared and a family member believed they may have wrongly put it in disk... turns out they didnt)

Which has to mean my ps3 drive is done for. How much am I looking at replacing it? or am I better off buying a new one? :(

Advertisement