Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canadian sim card into an irish phone

Options
  • 02-11-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

heading over tp canada next month and wondering will my htc wildfire s work over if i was to buy an canadian sim card and put it into my phone? my phone is unlocked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

heading over tp canada next month and wondering will my htc wildfire s work over if i was to buy an canadian sim card and put it into my phone? my phone is unlocked

For calls and texts yes for data over 3g probably not.
    Does your phone support CDMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

it depends on the model of the phone and the carrier you plan to go with.

If you won't be in Canada long, go for a cheap phone on wind/public mobile/mobilicity/pc mobile. Cell plans in Canada with the big 3 (Bell, Rogers, Telus) are stupidly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

For calls and texts yes for data over 3g probably not.
    Does your phone support CDMA?

i dunno what the cdma is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

No Canadian sim would work in my HTC Hero or Desire anyway, had to buy a phone here.

was it unlocked? are phones expensive to buy out there, pre pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

They were both unlocked. I got a Samsung Galaxy Mini for about $70 I think, its pretty terrible. Kinda broken now after 11 months. I'm with Virgin and I pay $40 a month for a smart phone plan, it doesn't include calls. Pretty bad deal!

They were both unlocked. I got a Samsung Galaxy Mini for about $70 I think, its pretty terrible. Kinda broken now after 11 months. I'm with Virgin and I pay $40 a month for a smart phone plan, it doesn't include calls. Pretty bad deal!

prob have to get a new one when im over, ive read about the deals over there with pre pay and bill, not good at all. im heading to a town outside winnipeg called brandon, its in manitoba. any ideas what to get and who to go with. im guessing ill be there for around a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

Has anyone used an Irish mobile in Canada, with the Irish SIM still in it? According to the Tesco website their 3g SIMs will work in Canada.

It''s expensive to use, of course, and roaming charges apply to all received calls too.
    But in the instance of Tesco mobile, it is still free to receive texts, and not overly expensive to send them, so my DP will bring an Irish tesco 3G SIM phone with him for this purpose. Obviously he will need a Canadian phone too, but at least with the Tesco one I can send him texts that cost him nothing to receive. I'm going with Tesco as that is who I'm with already, other SP may offer similarly good prices.

It is also incredibly cheap to call Canada on an Irish Tesco phone FROM Ireland (1c per minute) but that's only useful if the person at the other end isn't being charged to receive the call, so I guess calling a Canadian landline is better in this case.
    We will use Skype a fair bit too.

Anyone tried this at all?

Advertisement