Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't post

Options
  • 02-11-2012 8:27pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

From time to time, I'm finding that I can't post. It is saying that my post needs to be at least 1 character wrong. The WYSIWG editor also doesn't work. I'm guessing some sort of javascript related issue.

The weird thing is, if I open the dev console and refresh the page it works again for a while. And then eventually stops working again.

Running IE10, Windows 8.

This only started happening today.

Have you changed anything today?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sorry I meant to add, this only happens on newreply.php, it doesn't apply to the quick reply option on threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Can I get your useragent/other info - http://www.boards.ie/diagnostics. We made some JS changes today to vBulletin stuff related to console.log but nothing that should be causing these issues

Danny

Diagnostics Page

Your System

IP Address: <snip>

Operating System: Windows 8

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0)

Your Browser

Javascript Enabled: Yes

Cookies Enabled: Yes

Java Enabled: Yes

Flash Version: 11.3 375 installed

Your Resolution

Screen: 1366 x 768

Current Browser: 1366 x 673

Colour: 24 bit

Our Server

Date/Time: Friday 02nd of November 2012, 23:40:01

Name: www2.boards.ie (pops)

LocalStorage

LS/SS Enabled: Yes

Followed Forums:

<snip>

This literally just started happening today. It also happens on editpost.php.

I haven't installed / changed any settings.

Is it every time or just the odd time this happens. When you say the WYSIWYG editor doesn't work do you mean you can't swap modes to WYSIWYG or something else? Is there any clue about what's wrong on your developer tools/javascript console?

If you want to try clearing your cache there so you obtain fresh copies of all our JS that'd be great too. Keep me informed if it keeps happening, we'll just roll back the change if necessary

Danny

• Advertisement

Sorry for multi posting ubt I can't edit.

On my profile page, the tabs don't appear. The content shows further down the page (one section after the other). I am guessing the javascript to turn the divs into a tab isn't loading.

Also, on a thread the thread tools / search this thread dropdowns etc are broken. If I click one the div appears at the bottom of the page (below "back to forum", "previous thread" etc).

Yeah, that sounds like something that'd be caused by incredibly fubar'd JS on our side, the thing is I've tested this on several browsers today and I'm working on IE8/9 at the minute and it's grand. Can you try that hard refresh/cache clear for me?

Danny

Is it every time or just the odd time this happens. When you say the WYSIWYG editor doesn't work do you mean you can't swap modes to WYSIWYG or something else? Is there any clue about what's wrong on your developer tools/javascript console?

If you want to try clearing your cache there so you obtain fresh copies of all our JS that'd be great too. Keep me informed if it keeps happening, we'll just roll back the change if necessary

Danny

The problem is when I load up the dev console the issue fixes itself. It works again for a while and then stops working. And then it'll work again if I load the page with dev console on.

By the WYSIWG broken I mean the buttons do nothing. If I click a smiley it isn't inserted. If I click bold the text isn't bolded.

I saw an error in the dev console earlier, but forgot to save it. I'll get it the next time it happens and post it up.

Yeah, that sounds like something that'd be caused by incredibly fubar'd JS on our side, the thing is I've tested this on several browsers today and I'm working on IE8/9 at the minute and it's grand. Can you try that hard refresh/cache clear for me?

Danny
    Will try that now and see if it happens again. :)

It hasn't happened since, this is the longest it has gone without happening so I think the cache clearing did it.

I'll report back tomorrow though just to be sure.

Thanks Danny!

• Advertisement

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it happened again.

Here is the javascript error:

SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'vB_Editor_001' of undefined or null reference
    vbulletin_textedit.js, line 11 character 45978

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056797512

That thread sounds like a related (same?) issue.

Right I'm just going to roll back that change and see how we get on, thanks for the constant updates :)

Danny

And the change is rolled back. A cache clear may be required. Again, if you could let me know if problems persist that'd be great.

Danny

Will do!

Many thanks for looking at this on a Friday night and Saturday btw Danny! :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement