Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shameful attack on 12 yr old on Halloween in Dublin

• 02-11-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

I just about managed to hear about this hideous attack on a 12 year old boy in Tallaght. It is shameful. I can't understand why this seems to be a fairly casual reporting of such a shameful act.

The culprits who carried out this attach are savages.

"A 12-year-old boy has spoken of his terror when a firework "exploded" in his face after it was thrown at him by a group of teenagers.

The schoolboy, pictured heavily bandaged, has been left permanently disfigured after suffering second degree burns to his face, neck and arms.

A 'black cat' banger struck him on the face while he was out trick-or-treating with friends on Halloween night in the Deerpark estate in Tallaght.

The boy, speaking from his hospital bed, said: "These guys threw this banger at my face."

He added: "There were three lads around 17 years old, and they were real tall. And they just threw it at me.

"It exploded in my face. It was very painful and very sore.

"I've got scars and marks on my face now," he said.

His mother, a native of Nigeria, said: "I'm very disappointed by what happened. He's very very lucky that he did not lose his eye.

"I don't let my children go trick or treating -- but I did let him go last night."

The young boy was out with a friend when the incident occurred.

"When it happened, it was like a big ball of flames hitting him in the face," explained his friend Shay Lyons (11).

"When I saw his face, I drove him down to his mother's house," said Shay's mum, Deirdre Begley.

"When we got there, his mother saw him and started screaming."

The boy is recovering in the burns unit of Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin, where he met with a plastic surgeon yesterday."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I see nothing in that article that says it was a racially motivated attack.

Have you got a link to the original?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭jluv

Disgraceful!! Poor kid..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Is it racist just because he was Nigerian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I see nothing in that article that says it was a racially motivated attack.

Have you got a link to the original?

Exactly. Disgusting reprehensible act, but sadly this sort of violence happens against people who just happen to be near to scum as opposed to because of the colour of their skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

And this is racist how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Not race related but when I look back at when I was 10, 11, 12, I remember regularly being subject of random attack, abuse etc by older people (scumbags none the less) 17-20+. Seems to be this way for a lot of young kids in cities and towns for many decades now as i have a 40 year old uncle who said the same sorta things used to happen when he was a kid.

Goes to show how low some of these scum are, where the only place they can get some sort of confidence or feeling secure is by taking it out on 12 year old kids. The same type of people who abuse and kill animals and grow up to be mentally disturbed killers imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Love to catch the little Pr!cks who did this and stick a banger in their mouth, tape it up so it doesn't fall out, see how they like it. I know the bangers they are on about and they don't explode straight away, like a tiny stick of dynamite with a wick that burns down so they would have had it lit for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and target someone to throw it at for it to explode right at his face and not on the ground in front of him.

Okay, here's a link to the original story. Nothing suggesting it was racially motivated there either.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boy-12-tells-of-fireworks-nightmare-3280384.html

I am amending the thread title. PM for clarification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP assumes the Nigerian kid was black, that's racist.

Love to catch the little Pr!cks who did this and stick a banger in their mouth, tape it up so it doesn't fall out, see how they like it. I know it can't be proven but I reckon this was a racist attack. I know the bangers they are on about and they don't explode staraight away, like a tiny stick of dynamite with a wick that burns down so they would have had it lit for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and target someone to throw it at for it to explode right at his face and not on the ground in front of him.
    Why? I've seen these little fcukers throw bangers at everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Chinasea wrote: »
    "When I saw his face, I drove him down to his mother's house," said Shay's mum, Deirdre Begley.

Why not straight to hospital? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Is it racist because the banger was a black cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

CJC999 wrote: »

I didn't even know he was African. It was difficult to tell with all the bandages wrapped around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

C'mon a kid got violently assaulted by a group of teenagers and all you guys are concerned about is whether the attack was racially motivated or not.

It doesn't matter whether the kid was white or black, what matters is that he is a 12yr old innocent kid who was attacked for no reason and it needs to be made sure that the savage scum who attacked him do not get away with this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Sadly, I am not surprised to see the usual dodging and denial of possible outright 'racist' attacks.

Is it racist because the banger was a black cat?

Racist. Reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Lumbo wrote: »
    I didn't even know he was African. It was difficult to tell with all the bandages wrapped around him.

Sounds Egyptian.

Sounds Egyptian.

Wow, some moderating.

Sadly, I am not surprised to see the usual dodging and denial of possible outright 'racist' attacks.
    But you haven't provided one shred of evidence that it was a racially motivated attack :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Yes, possible. You don't know and we don't know. Stop making it worse than it is.

Hopefully the poor lad will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Wow, some moderating.

No backseat moderating BAN!!!!!
    Ironic or what:pac:

The people who claim to be the most opposed to racism are the same people who see it everywhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

On a positive note, no one has used the attack as an opportunity to have a go at tallaght.

phasers wrote: »
    But you haven't provided one shred of evidence that it was a racially motivated attack :confused:

Yea, sure it was random.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

It could happened to anyone

Yes. Yes it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Its Tallaght trust me when I tell you the ***** in this area couldnt give a ****,it was a rocket fired at 2 kids one white on black,there ye go buddy they hate people of all races.

phasers wrote: »

Attackers were probably white scumbags, the kid was black african.
    There is a possibility the kid was singled out because he was black.
    The attackers don't need to proclaim their hatred of other races or be a member of the KKK for an attack to be suspected as racially motivated/provoked.
    Scumbags do have a reputation of harassing and assaulting foreigners too.

Anyway, I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying there could be a possibility it is.

An Evening Herald article with no quotes from a "source" ?

Very unusual for them!

Maybe the journalist did a bit of work for once

• Advertisement

The attackers don't need to proclaim their hatred of other races or be a member of the KKK for an attack to be suspected as racially motivated/provoked.

Anyway, I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying there could be a possibility it is.
    Of course it is entirely possible.

It is also entirely possible (from the evidence provided so far) that the perpetrators were themselves black and were targeting the white lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Poor little kid....awful thing to happen. Will be scarred for life :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pretty sad attempt at twisting a horrible story to suit your own tired agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Racially motivated or not this is an horrendous story. Poor kid, only 12 years old and scarred for life. There really is some sick and twisted animals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Have you ever even been to a rough area of a large city / town where scum like this congregate?

It doesnt matter what colour / sex / age you are.

If you look in any way vunerable then they will prey on you - simple as that.

It was dark at the time, the kid was probably in fancy dress with other kids that were not black.

If you honestly think that the scum that did this even noticed yet alone cared what colour the kid was - then you are deluded.

What happened is awful and is an example of how gang culture and scum are ruining areas where normal folk have to go about their every day lives.

Headaballs like you claiming that it is a racist attack and trying to pursue an agenda like that simply detract from what it was - a horrible act that could have happened to anyone.

We need to be focused as a society on stamping out this kind of thuggery in the most effective way possible. Sadly this is something that we are struggling to be able to do.

Trying to categorise (mistakenly i might add) and rank the type of crime as you are obviously trying to do here - does nothing only serve your own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Of course there is a possibility it is a racist attack but there is also a chance that it is because he was wearing the wrong soccer jersey. Stating that every attack on a person who isn't white Irish is racist is counter-productive to a more inclusive society. A child was attacked in a horrible manner and scarred for life, there is enough to be disgusted and outraged by in this fact alone and in the fact that these scumbags will likely never receive the justice they deserve. There is no need to be making up possible scenarios without a shred of evidence to support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Disgraceful attack on the wee lad. Scar him for life :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

CJC999 wrote: »
    ^Ethnics were brought into it, and they shouldn't have been unless it was in fact a racially motivated attack. Shít like this happens every halloween, and nationality has little to do with it. It's scumbags doing what they do best, be scumbags.
    Wow, some moderating.
    He's not a moderator of AH, and the style of AH is different to what he does moderate. Mods of other fora have no say on what goes on here.
    On a positive note, no one has used the attack as an opportunity to have a go at tallaght.

I thought that was a given :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Bad people exist in every area, very lucky kid, them things can easily take out eyes and/or limbs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Who gives a flying fuck it was racial or not. People in here are so quick to jump on shit like that and prove someone else wrong.

This poor kid has been left with permanent markings on his face from knackers. Unreal that people try and take something else from the story.

Wish the kid a speedy recovery and that he's not left in too bad condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Don't worry everybody. Our legal system with deal with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

"Remember kids, if you're going to assault someone always make sure they are they same race as you"

That is the biggest worry unfortunately...

bwahahaha! This guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Attackers were probably white scumbags

Racist.

Imagine somebody posted "attackers were probably black scumbags". :rolleyes:

There'd be absolute outrage on here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Party Supply Van

......sure it was random.............

Racial stirring thread fail. Shameful indeed...

God bless the young kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Oh that poor child :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

C'mon a kid got violently assaulted by a group of teenagers and all you guys are concerned about is whether the attack was racially motivated or not.

It doesn't matter whether the kid was white or black, what matters is that he is a 12yr old innocent kid who was attacked for no reason and it needs to be made sure that the savage scum who attacked him do not get away with this!
    Nobody's belittling that, it's fair enough to question the claim it was racially motivated though - it's not a minor detail. A major case in Cork a few years back was regarded as racially motivated because the victim was black. It wasn't - it was simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being an easy target for horrible scumbags. Must you bring race into everything that involves a non white person Chinasea?
    Nobody's dodging or denying it - just seems like you hope it was a racist attack because ironically you are pretty bigoted towards Irish people (even though are one). It may have been, it may have not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

I once had a purple dog thrown at my face... :pac:

edit

in all seriousness, those guys are scum and deserve a black cat strapped to their bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

thats awfull what happened but i dont see how its racist because the kid was black ffs, i mean who hasnt had a banger or fire work thrown at them at some time growing up. Also this is why black cat bangers are banned arent they ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

West Tallaght.

Jesus I remember the morning I stepped out of a house in the middle of Jobstown after a night on the piss. A cold fog covering the entire area.

*shudder*

Couldn't have got of the place sooner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement