Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shameful attack on 12 yr old on Halloween in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

... and boards.ie has sunk to a new low. making jokes and trying to turn it into a debate about racism.

A 12 year old got disfigured by a bunch of scumbags. But hey, who cares about that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Shame on those of you who think the matter is a joke.

For sure these little thugs picked on this guy because he was black. This was an outright racious attack. Are we trying to say that this doesn't exist? How much blood exactly do you need to see?

We all know they don't just pick on indivduals because they are not one of their disgusting little pack members, that is a given; BUT the fact that you might be considered different to them gives them a clear motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Chinasea wrote: »
    For sure these little thugs picked on this guy because he was black. This was an outright racious attack.

I've had fireworks thrown at me when I was a kid out trick or treating, as I'm sure had hundreds of other people reading this, black white and yellow. It's part of Halloween, the scum run amok. You are detracting from the real issue at hand by focusing on the little boys skin colour. What about the ambulance stoned in Beaumont, cars burnt out around the city and numerous other random acts of violence perpetrated by filth?

Those who behave in this fashion require no motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

For sure these little thugs picked on this guy because he was black. This was an outright racious attack. Are we trying to say that this doesn't exist? How much blood exactly do you need to see?

We all know they don't just pick on indivduals because they are not one of their disgusting little pack members, that is a given; BUT the fact that you might be considered different to them gives them a clear motive.
    Right. Unless you have a link to a news story that says this was a racist attack, don't bother posting in this thread again.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Thought that was the lads Halloween mask, til i realized he was practically mummified for a reason. Disgusting attack

People seem to forget just how many foreigners there are in this country, they're bound to get caught in the random attacks so many of us have to put up with. I had a couple of fireworks lobbed in my general direction when walking to a friend's last night. Maybe I look more Chinese than I thought I did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Are you even from Tallaght? Im guessing not this has been happening for years in this town before foreigners started moving here,as I already pointed out earlier but seemed to have missed the scum in Tallaght dont care who or what you are FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I personally think the attack was racially motivated going on the type of people and area involved.

I'm not saying it definitely was and have no proof, but I'm kinnd of agreeing with Chinasea on this one.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    I personally think the attack was racially motivated going on the type of people and area involved.

I'm not saying it definitely was and have no proof, but I'm kinnd of agreeing with Chinasea on this one.

Jeeeeeeeeaysus christ!

They fired a rocket at 2 kids 1 White 1 Black how is that racially motivated unless they feckin hate Zebra's!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

OP assumes the Nigerian kid was black, that's racist.

How? You do realise that to constitute racism there must be prejudice or discrimination involved?

I suppose it's 'racist' to assume people from China might look Asian too, is it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Poor child just out for a night and ending up with those injuries :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

... and boards.ie has sunk to a new low. making jokes and trying to turn it into a debate about racism.
    A 12 year old got disfigured by a bunch of scumbags. But hey, who cares about that right?
    Of course people care. But yeh the OP has stooped pretty low all right to choose this awful case to rant about the backwards Irish.
    For sure these little thugs picked on this guy because he was black.
    How do you know?
    Are we trying to say that this doesn't exist?
    No, "we" are not. But you're hoping we are.
    BUT the fact that you might be considered different to them gives them a clear motive.
    They don't need any motive other than victim being in the wrong place at the wrong time and unable to stand up to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

1890 715815

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Right. Unless you have a link to a news story that says this was a racist attack, don't bother posting in this thread again.

/mod

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0925/1224324360580.html

KITTY HOLLAND
    "COMPLACENCY ABOUT racism is increasing and victims of racist attacks are increasingly unwilling to report them to the Garda, the chief executive of the Immigrant Council of Ireland has warned.
    Denise Charlton, speaking at a conference on increasing young people’s participation in combating racism, said there was a “growing gap . . . between the authorities, be it local councils or the gardaí, and the victims of racism. The people who speak to us are showing a reluctance to come forward to the representatives of ‘official Ireland’.”
    Increasingly, she said, victims felt their complaints would be filed away and ignored or that a complaint put them in the spotlight and made them a likely target for future attacks.
    “Witnesses too are turning a blind eye – not wanting to get involved when they see incidents in public places.”
    This was unacceptable, she said.
    Prof Mairtín Mac an Ghaill, of Newman University College, Birmingham, said that if racism was to be radically addressed, the sense of exclusion felt by the poorest members of the ethnic majority must be addressed.
    “We need to start with the white, dispossessed, working class.”

1. The above article sums up my point.
      Please read it and let people make up their own minds.
    2. The hideous incident that I have highlighted happened only a few days ago therefore the racial aspect of this incident has not been highlighted as yet and I wonder if it every will......again judging by how racially motivated cases have been dealt with in Ireland to-date I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That doesn't have anything to do with the attack in the OP.

Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

KITTY HOLLAND
    "COMPLACENCY ABOUT racism is increasing and victims of racist attacks are increasingly unwilling to report them to the Garda, the chief executive of the Immigrant Council of Ireland has warned.
    Denise Charlton, speaking at a conference on increasing young people’s participation in combating racism, said there was a “growing gap . . . between the authorities, be it local councils or the gardaí, and the victims of racism. The people who speak to us are showing a reluctance to come forward to the representatives of ‘official Ireland’.”
    Increasingly, she said, victims felt their complaints would be filed away and ignored or that a complaint put them in the spotlight and made them a likely target for future attacks.
    “Witnesses too are turning a blind eye – not wanting to get involved when they see incidents in public places.”
    Prof Mairtín Mac an Ghaill, of Newman University College, Birmingham, said that if racism was to be radically addressed, the sense of exclusion felt by the poorest members of the ethnic majority must be addressed.

2. The hideous incident that I have highlighted happened only a few days ago therefore the racial aspect of this incident has not been highlighted as yet and I wonder if it every will......again judging by how racially motivated cases have been dealt with in Ireland to-date I don't hold out much hope.

The firework was thrown at two kids, one white and one black. It is only by chance and not by design that the black child came out with the more serious injury. It could easily have been the other way around.

Your eagerness to attach the racist tag to a random act of violence belittles the experiences those subject to actual racism and shows a complete lack of understanding as to what racism is or of its effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Racist.

Imagine somebody posted "attackers were probably black scumbags". :rolleyes:

There'd absolute outrage on here....
    You know the subgroup of people I am referring to here.

KITTY HOLLAND

Lol at that! It has nothing to do with what happened,I would like to insult you but I may get a ban like yourself :pac:
    Dont ban me :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

He must have been targeted because he was black,this is shameful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Have you ever considered that it might be a white African that was affected, the papers say nothing about colour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Africans_of_European_ancestry

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Jeeeeeeeeaysus christ!

They fired a rocket at 2 kids 1 White 1 Black how is that racially motivated unless they feckin hate Zebra's!!!!
    Sappa wrote: »

I hate having to quote myself.......

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭pache

The boy is recovering in the burns unit of Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin, where he met with a plastic surgeon yesterday."[/QUOTE]

Fabulous people working here and a fabulous service provided for all sick children.
    It pains me when i hear that our lady's hospital for sick children has to fund raise to keep providing this much treasured service.Its nothing short of a damm shame that our own state cant fully fund this oft taken for granted place.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

pache wrote: »
    The boy is recovering in the burns unit of Our Lady's Hospital in Crumlin, where he met with a plastic surgeon yesterday."

Fabulous people working here and a fabulous service provided for all sick children.
    It pains me when i hear that our lady's hospital for sick children has to fund raise to keep providing this much treasured service.Its nothing short of a damm shame that our own state cant fully fund this oft taken for granted place.

Rant over.[/Quote]
    No the state has better things to spend money on like the 800 million African dictator slush fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Sappa wrote: »

I assumed since he was trick or treating that he may have been wearing a mask and costume.

Hippies! wrote: »
    I assumed since he was trick or treating that he may have been wearing a mask and costume.

He was prob dressed as a white guy and the group that targeted him are self hating fookers oh the humanity:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

He was prob dressed as a white guy and the group that targeted him are self hating fookers oh the humanity:rolleyes:

Not funny.

Poor lad. We had a firework thrown into our letter box last Saturday night, pretty stressful!

IceFjoem wrote: »
    Not funny.

Its AH and it was sarcastic please go to the ladies lounge if you dont want to be offended;)

Poor lad. We had a firework thrown into our letter box last Saturday night, pretty stressful!

Around the corner from me a car exploded on Halloween night after youngfellas put a rocket in the exhaust and set it off.....wonder was that racially motivated....seriously the car was black:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Whilst these kinds of people will generally attack anyone, being in any way different will definitely draw attention in those situations. It may not have been racially motivated but would anyone really be surprised if it was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Whilst these kinds of people will generally attack anyone, being in any way different will definitely draw attention in those situations. It may not have been racially motivated but would anyone really be surprised if it was?

That's exactly what I thought, It was probably not planned but the victim's colour may have stood out to the person who done it. More than likely it was done in the spur of the moment without any thinking being involved.

I hope the victim can get his facial injuries sorted out, The bloke who done it will meet the same end that most bullies meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

C'mon a kid got violently assaulted by a group of teenagers and all you guys are concerned about is whether the attack was racially motivated or not.

It doesn't matter whether the kid was white or black, what matters is that he is a 12yr old innocent kid who was attacked for no reason and it needs to be made sure that the savage scum who attacked him do not get away with this!

The truth is always important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Nodin wrote: »
    The truth is always important.

In this case how does it matter? Both a black and white child were attacked. If the white kid was injured would his injuries be any less because of his colour? Would the crime be any less abhorent?

charlemont wrote: »

That's exactly what I thought, It was probably not planned but the victim's colour may have stood out to the person who done it. More than likely it was done in the spur of the moment without any thinking being involved.

I hope the victim can get his facial injuries sorted out, The bloke who done it will meet the same end that most bullies meet.

just like a banger would have stood out amongst scangers, there's less individuality and diversity culturally in Ireland now than there is even ethnically and children are gonna want to be the odd one out even less

It may well have bn racially motivated in this 'innocent' sense I know I caught my 11yo nephew on his phone planning knocking on some "paki"s house with his lil bash street gang and I was verbally dressing him down over it only for my stepfather intervene with the physicality suggesting I was bullying him, I ended up with a barring order for domestic violence ironically but all likelyhoods must be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

Who gives a flying fuck it was racial or not. People in here are so quick to jump on shit like that and prove someone else wrong.

This poor kid has been left with permanent markings on his face from knackers. Unreal that people try and take something else from the story.

Wish the kid a speedy recovery and that he's not left in too bad condition.

C'mon a kid got violently assaulted by a group of teenagers and all you guys are concerned about is whether the attack was racially motivated or not.

It doesn't matter whether the kid was white or black, what matters is that he is a 12yr old innocent kid who was attacked for no reason and it needs to be made sure that the savage scum who attacked him do not get away with this!

you people and all the people who thanked your posts are missing the point.

the person who started this thread tried to make it out to be a racial attack to suit their agenda.

some other people have rightly pointed out that there is no evidence that this was a racial attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

I really feel for the little guy, and wish him a speedy recovery, it must have being and still is so scary for him, no one his age should have to deal with that, (let kids be kids, allow them to play and learn I also hope that they are protected by parents from themselves and others)

I hope those gob****es throwing the firework are held accountable for what they have done. If I was a parent and living in Tallaght, I would be looking for who threw this banger and was endangering my childs live. And I would be having a very small chat with them. If the parents in Tallaght are anything like the parents I know, this has already happened.

On a side note

When I was younger, I had fire works thrown at me, in much the same way as others posters have described, the same happened to my friends, do you reckon it was because I looked India, or was called "Paccie" and "Darky" that they the gob****es through the fireworks or were trying to make an example of me. In fairness I think the gits where so scared of the firework in their hand, they throw it in whatever direction they were told to. (I'm not belittling what they did, it is horrific, but I really can't see how it racist) I believe this racist card is being played too much to over simplify things. I grew up in an area of South County Dublin that suburbs a mile apart would kick the living bejayus out of each other, it was kids proving how hard they were, scared of not being excepted.

Again though each and everyone of the people involved in throwing this Banger (adults 17 year olds), need to be held accountable, in what ever way their community decides for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MagicSean wrote: »
    In this case how does it matter? Both a black and white child were attacked. If the white kid was injured would his injuries be any less because of his colour? Would the crime be any less abhorent?

If somebody was motivated in a certain way, then thats the way they were motivated. It does indeed matter. Personally, I'm not even convinced there was a 3rd party involved at this stage, however if there was, its important to find out what went on and why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Az0th

On the other hand kids muck around; don't they.. things often end in tears. Particularly where there are fireworks involved did they treat him as a friend otherwise? I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

hope this doesnt impact on the rest of his life and plastic surgery can rectify what those absolute scum bags did, parents are at fault with these walking despots and they should be prosecuted under a new law i would pass and that is the youarea****ingparenttoachildunder18nowandyouareresponsibleforthatchildandifthatchildattacksabotherpersonyouarebothfacingseriouschargesandfinesandcompensation act2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

There should be a minimum sentence for facial disfigurement or blindness caused if there was no genuine provocation. Ive seen cases where blindess was caused and the offender got 18 months ffs.

Ideally said sentence would be holding the offenders face over a hotplate for a few minutes, but the Strasbourg crowd would have an issue with it........

billybudd wrote: »
    hope this doesnt impact on the rest of his life and plastic surgery can rectify what those absolute scum bags did, parents are at fault with these walking despots and they should be prosecuted under a new law i would pass and that is the youarea****

[UNQUOTE]
    ingparenttoachildunder18nowandyouareresponsibleforthatchildandifthatchildattacksabotherpersonyouarebothfacingseriouschargesandfinesandcompensation act2012.[/UNQUOTE]
    well done you actually made a gob****e look intelligent, I owe you a drink in how brave you are, let me know when you are out next, I will make sure I will look after you (2012)

If I can do it anyone can I wouldn't touch a fly, but I'm prity sure these guys are going to be sorted out by the tallaght community, parents should be worried and if this ever happens again, their credit ability is out the window, I would love to hear what someone else beside the god ****e above me, has to say about it **hands open** . Lets be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Of course it is entirely possible.

It is also entirely possible (from the evidence provided so far) that the perpetrators were themselves black and were targeting the white lad.

Possible, but hundreds of times less probable.

There is nothing wrong with educated speculation based on probability. The class of scum involved in the attack would probably throw a firework at anyone, but it's entirely likely - and in my opinion, probable - that they singled this kid out because of the colour of his skin.

Whether or not that is certainly the case is irrelevant. We each here know as little about this case as the next person. If you're going to ban speculation as to one possible cause of the attack, you may as well ban all speculation and close the thread.

Is he injured that badly? don't realize the extent nor nature, malicious attack?

Seriously hope it wasn't that kind of scummery.. should probs read up on it. After lasagne...

sdeire wrote: »
    Possible, but hundreds of times less probable.

There is nothing wrong with educated speculation based on probability. The class of scum involved in the attack would probably throw a firework at anyone, but it's entirely likely - and in my opinion, probable - that they singled this kid out because of the colour of his skin.

Whether or not that is certainly the case is irrelevant. We each here know as little about this case as the next person. If you're going to ban speculation as to one possible cause of the attack, you may as well ban all speculation and close the thread.

Bolloicks why would you decide that this was attack on someone regarding their skin colour, when it was a banner thrown in someones directions, by stating it is rasists attack, you are making it smaller than it should be. You our basically saying be aware cause your a different tan base, sorry I don't believe that, I believe you need to be aware, cause god****e our throwing "bangers" around, they will be sort out.

If you need to throw the race card at this, I look espanic and I look muslim, but I have sorted out my family tree, back as far as 1820, I am Irish by 8 generations, most people on these boards don't have prove of that, at least I know why I look like a spainard, at least I have the courage to find out who I am. If you want to be nationalist exleast give your family credit and find out where they came from, you might be surprised :D

I assuming that this child was born in Ireland, that actually makes him Irish, so what actually happened was a gang on 17 year olds throw a banger in to the face of an Irish citizen, and burnt him enough that he needs plastic surgery on his face. Sorry those guys are gob****es and I'm very sure their community will bear witness to them and their crimes, I know Tallaght is better than that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Tallaght is a sh1thole.

Sorry, but it is.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Absolute scumbags.
    This could have happened to any one of us when we were young and out trick or treating.
    It's no new thing to hear of 16, 17 year olds terrorising youngsters with fireworks.
    This has to stop.
    Gardaí should have an absolute zero tolerance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Tallaght is a township I dont know why anyone would let their kids trick or treat alone. Stupid mother and scumbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you need to throw the race card at this, I look espanic and I look muslim, but I have sorted out my family tree, back as far as 1820, I am Irish by 8 generations, most people on these boards don't have prove of that, at least I know why I look like a spainard, at least I have the courage to find out who I am.

Galwegian?

Supposed to be common around there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

On the radio the other night a guy was on about an incident he witnessed just at the flats complex just beside copperface jacks where the local kids aged 10-12 stuck a cracker around a cats neck and ran off apparently they were in fits when the cracker went off ........

Just goes to show they would target anyone and anything vulnerable

• Advertisement
Advertisement