Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shameful attack on 12 yr old on Halloween in Dublin

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

when I was about 12 my mates and I had a bonfire party in the woods and messing around , as you do, I got my hand burnt. Told my Ma it was nettle-rash....(she belived me! )

My neighbours kids were messing with bangers right near my kitchen windows, after three days I gave out to them, was I right or am I a miserable old git? Got fed up with hunting for our frightened dogs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

corktina wrote: »
    when I was about 12 my mates and I had a bonfire party in the woods and messing around , as you do, I got my hand burnt. Told my Ma it was nettle-rash....(she belived me! )

My neighbours kids were messing with bangers right near my kitchen windows, after three days I gave out to them, was I right or am I a miserable old git? Got fed up with hunting for our frightened dogs...

Too right you were in the right to moan to them but it shouldn't have had to be your job to do this, the patents are responsible . We had heard the stories of bangers going off in kids hands if this happened to the kids the parents would be blaming everyone but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I didn't see the original OP, I figure it's been changed now. Whatever about the motives, I'm just annoyed so many have missed the bigger picture here and are straight in pouncing on technicalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lone Stone wrote: »
    thats awfull what happened but i dont see how its racist because the kid was black ffs, i mean who hasnt had a banger or fire work thrown at them at some time growing up. Also this is why black cat bangers are banned arent they ?

is your avatar a scared looking black man? just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

awful thing to happen and i hope the 3 lads are caught and have the s*ite kicked out of them.

this attack could have been racially motivated or just a case of wrong place/wrong time. ive a feeling however, that there was a touch of rasict motivation about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Tallaght is a sh1thole.

Sorry, but it is.:(

No its not stop generalizing,If its such a ****hole then why have myself and all my family constantly worked hard all our lives which includes 2 working in law,if its such a ****hole why have all my close friends never had trouble with the Garda and have respect for others,you my friend are ignorant and need some cop on,if you knew anything about the area you would know where this happened,Tallaght is huge and everywhere has scumbags,maybe ill dance on someones head outside a club and put on a posh accent and get away with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Every Halloween kids get picked on by scumbags.

Was it racial ? Well you could ask how dark it was , what sort of costumes were being worn etc.

Or more likely it was just a target of opportunity. As in scumbags are scumbags and if it hadn't been those kids then it could easily have been others.

It's still assault , it's still possession of illegal fireworks.

Lucky to not have lost the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

flyswatter wrote: »
    I didn't see the original OP, I figure it's been changed now. Whatever about the motives, I'm just annoyed so many have missed the bigger picture here and are straight in pouncing on technicalities.

what is the bigger picture that people are missing ?

yes the op was changed by a mod to remove the racist attack claim because there is no evidence of that.

the reason that this thread was started was because the op likes to push the agenda that immigrants get a hard time in this country.

when the truth is that they have been treated very well here.

ireland was a soft touch with regards to asylum and welfare and has almost no racism compared to other parts of europe

green123 wrote: »
    what is the bigger picture that people are missing ?

yes the op was changed by a mod to remove the racist attack claim because there is no evidence of that.

the reason that this thread was started was because the op likes to push the agenda that immigrants get a hard time in this country.

when the truth is that they have been treated very well here.

ireland was a soft touch with regards to asylum and welfare and has almost no racism compared to other parts of europe

I don't agree with the OP claiming it was definitely racially motivated, it could be or it might be just coincidence, we don't know.

There seemed to be more interest in calling out the OP on this rather than the bigger issue which is of course the health of the unfortunate victim.

I'm not going to comment on immigration, that's besides the point here. I do think it's naive though to think we have almost no racism problems.

I've seen it personally with attitudes towards foreign taxi drivers and a good friend of mine. He is British but of Asian descent. He told me some of the abuse he received living here for a decade, horrible things like being spat at, abused verbally. He had no such problems in England where different races are better integrated in society than here. It's not all bad, but it does exist. This abuse is in the Celtic tiger era Ireland too, might I add.

I don't agree with the OP claiming it was definitely racially motivated, it could be or it might be just coincidence, we don't know.

There seemed to be more interest in calling out the OP on this rather than the bigger issue which is of course the health of the unfortunate victim.

I'm not going to comment on immigration, that's besides the point here. I do think it's naive though to think we have almost no racism problems.

I've seen it personally with attitudes towards foreign taxi drivers and a good friend of mine. He is British but of Asian descent. He told me some of the abuse he received living here for a decade, horrible things like being spat at, abused verbally. He had no such problems in England where different races are better integrated in society than here. It's not all bad, but it does exist. This abuse is in the Celtic tiger era Ireland too, might I add.

the reason that people were calling out the op about the race issue was because that was the whole point of the thread originally.

the op would never have started this thread if there wasnt a possible racial element to it.

so it looks like you have missed the point of the thread

• Advertisement

the reason that people were calling out the op about the race issue was because that was the whole point of the thread originally.

the op would never have started this thread if there wasnt a possible racial element to it.

so it looks like you have missed the point of the thread

I never saw the post in its original form and couldn't really in all honesty as I read the thread this morning for the first time.

As I said earlier, I don't agree with the OP's attitude towards it when there isn't evidence there. I got the gist of what his attitude was.

All I'm saying is that I know what I would put more emphasis on from reading that newspaper report.

I never saw the post in its original form and couldn't really in all honesty as I read the thread this morning for the first time.

As I said earlier, I don't agree with the OP's attitude towards it when there isn't evidence there. I got the gist of what his attitude was.

All I'm saying is that I know what I would put more emphasis on from reading that newspaper report.

and of course you are right that the focus should be on the health of the victim as you say.

and most people in this thread would agree with you and that is why they called out the op for trying to twist this story to suit their own agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

and of course you are right that the focus should be on the health of the victim as you say.

and most people in this thread would agree with you and that is why they called out the op for trying to twist this story to suit their own agenda

How on earth would the fact that, in my opionion, this was a racist attack suit my agenda. Rhetorically speaking, how could one have an agenda on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Chinasea wrote: »
    How on earth would the fact that, in my opionion, this was a racist attack suit my agenda. Rhetorically speaking, how could one have an agenda on this.

You're the only one applying an element of racism to it all. Can you not see how ironic that is? There's been no mention of a racial angle to the attack anywhere in the media, or from any of the kid's family.

'He's black so it must have been a racist attack'... <- that in itself is a racially motivated generalisation.

Anyone reading through the rest of your posts on this forum will see just what your agenda is. It's pathetic and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to use a vicious assault of a child to further your own bigoted views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

You're the only one applying an element of racism to it all. Can you not see how ironic that is? There's been no mention of a racial angle to the attack anywhere in the media, or from any of the kid's family.

'He's black so it must have been a racist attack'... <- that in itself is a racially motivated generalisation.

Anyone reading through the rest of your posts on this forum will see just what your agenda is. It's pathetic and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to use a vicious assault of a child to further your own bigoted views.

Calm down.

Deny, avoid the issue if you want. It is my opinion. A link again to an article that seems to share my opinion.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0924/breaking44.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Calm down.

Deny, avoid the issue if you want. It is my opinion. A link again to an article that seems to share my opinion.

Not relevant to your OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Calm down.

You are well able to paste links so I can only assume you also have basic reading ability.

Where does that article mention anyting about the attack in Tallaght that this thread relates to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Calm down.

How does that article relate to the original one you linked to to support your opinion that the act was racially motivated?

Here's a relevant link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

On the other hand kids muck around; don't they.. things often end in tears. Particularly where there are fireworks involved did they treat him as a friend otherwise? I'll never know.
    corktina wrote: »

Am I the only one thinking this or are these posts also suggesting this,

Kid goes out trick or treating, maybe after being warned not to play with bangers (fireworks), what time did this all happen at?
    The parents responsibility for letting their children out unattended, plenty of 12 year old thugs on the loose too.

So, the friends go out, one blows up a firework in his face,
    ****s himself, better blame some anonymous thugs??

Did this really happen as it is described, or was it the kid playing with fireworks?? gone wrong?

Cant see the original post and is there any proof someone actually threw a banger?
    I know it happens, but so do lots of accidents regarding kids playing with illegal toys (fireworks).

If it was a group that threw it, then it cant be racist, cant be, two kids, one black, one white, thrown at what distance, some element of chance there.

I tempted to think this was a prank that went wrong, easier for the sympathy.
    I mean it went off right when it touched his face??? possible i suppose.
    Guess Im just suspicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Merch wrote: »

Kid goes out trick or treating, maybe after being warned not to play with bangers (fireworks), what time did this all happen at?
    The parents responsibility for letting their children out unattended, plenty of 12 year old thugs on the loose too.

Did this really happen as it is described, or was it the kid playing with fireworks?? gone wrong?

Cant see the original post and is there any proof someone actually threw a banger?
    I know it happens, but so do lots of accidents regarding kids playing with illegal toys (fireworks).

If it was a group that threw it, then it cant be racist, cant be, two kids, one black, one white, thrown at what distance, some element of chance there.

Not really, as much the same thoughts occurred to me. Then again, I am a suspicous bastard.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Calm down.

Well you're entitled to your own opinions and preconceived notions, but when you dress them up as facts then they deserve to be shot down.

I could link to a dozen articles that could be seen as suggesting that it was most likely a random attack, I won't though; because none of them have anything at all to do with the incident... just like the link you posted yourself has nothing to do with it.

Just stick to the facts.. hijacking stuff and taking them off on tangents of your own preference doesn't help anyone. If you want to discuss the issue of racism in Ireland then start a thread about it instead of bringing it up in every story that involves people of a different race. Seriously, by the way you go on in most of your posts; you'd swear that the majority of people in Ireland were inherently racist.. which is just complete garbage really.

How do you think the kid or his parents would feel reading this thread, and the suggestion that it was a racist attack rather than just a random one.. despite there being zero evidence for that? You're making it a racial issue and that is damaging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Merch wrote: »

The first post on page one includes an extract from the independent article. The link to the independent online article is further down on page one.

thomasj wrote: »
    The first post on page one includes an extract from the independent article. The link to the independent online article is further down on page one.

I read that, it didnt suggest a self inflicted wound

All it is is the kids story??

And this from the mother? i presume, well, which is it, you either do let them out or you dont, its clear she does allow it, I'll warrant many another night too, not just her, but loads, unsupervised children.

"I don't let my children go trick or treating -- but I did let him go last night."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

What the hell does opinion have to do with it? It was either a racist attack or it wasn't - and you don't know whether it was, you'd just like it to have been. Maybe it was but it seems highly unlikely by now.

Nobody's denying/avoiding the issue of racist attacks. What opinion? That there can be racially motivated attacks in Ireland? Of course there can, like anywhere. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. But it doesn't make it any more of a certainty that this kid was attacked for his skin colour, however much you long for it. You really are resorting to sons right bollocks to "support" your anti Irishness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Calm down.

Banned again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Good god we have dickheads on here trying to defend these people by saying it wasn't racist.Sure they were only messing.Wake up ffs an innocent kids is scarred for life because of the actions of some dirty lowlifes and tramps.Halloween is an awful time of year.I don't mind having a firework display just for display purposes but that's not enough for these people they have to throw them at innocent people too.Whether it was racist or not is irrelevant this was a disgraceful incident.Are the guards even making effort to prosecute the people that sell and misuse these explosive devices?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Good god we have dickheads on here trying to defend these people by saying it wasn't racist.Sure they were only messing.Wake up ffs an innocent kids is scarred for life because of the actions of some dirty lowlifes and tramps.Halloween is an awful time of year.I don't mind having a firework display just for display purposes but that's not enough for these people they have to throw them at innocent people too.Whether it was racist or not is irrelevant this was a disgraceful incident.Are the guards even making effort to prosecute the people that sell and misuse these explosive devices?

Not one person has tried to defend them. People have a serious problem with this being called a racist incident because there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it was. Calling it racist simply because the victim was black shows a complete misunderstanding of what the word means. It dilutes the meaning of the word which only makes it more difficult to tackle in its true form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

MagicSean wrote: »
    Not one person has tried to defend them. People have a serious problem with this being called a racist incident because there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it was. Calling it racist simply because the victim was black shows a complete misunderstanding of what the word means. It dilutes the meaning of the word which only makes it more difficult to tackle in its true form.

Whether it was racist or not is irrelevant at the end of the day it was still a nasty attack by a bunch of lowlife thugs.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Whether it was racist or not is irrelevant at the end of the day it was still a nasty attack by a bunch of lowlife thugs.

So most people still assume it went as the kids said, reminds me of that little boy (Timmy?) trapped down the well, or maybe that was the simpsons or was it twelve monkeys?

have you read the whole thread ?

i think you have missed the point like so many others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It was the person that started the thread who brought race into it - by using this awful incident to have a go at Irish society as if it's Alabama in '64. People were simply saying there's no proof it was a racially motivated attack, I really cannot see how you would interpret that as defending the attackers... :confused:

Advertisement