Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 Traffic

Options
  • 02-11-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Is everyone sick of the traffic going out from Galway heading to Tuam. It took me 2 hrs to reach Tuam starting at 5 o clock. Traffic started at Briarhill and finally got through Claregalway and there doing roadworks which holds traffic up which is backed up to other end of Claregalway. I am just saying that the are taking the biscuit :mad: . someone has to be held accountable for this. :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The old bridge in Claregalway was damaged when the new bridge went in last year... or so i hear. So they gotta fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The old bridge in Claregalway was damaged when the new bridge went in last year... or so i hear. So they gotta fix it.
    During peak hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

There are a couple of alternate routes which you could consider using if it's taking you two hours galway to tuam, get the map out and have a gander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ah sure !

Same here , can't take it anymore.
    The thing is that with the traffic light i believe it could be much better if they were set correctly.
    Last night on my way from Galway to Tuam , hundreds of cars queing in Claregalway but only very few coming from Carmore direction !
    Same this morning but this time going to Galway , 30 minutes to cross the village but 3 cars coming from Carnmore ! Yes only 3 cars !!

Would it be too much setting the traffic light in such way that more car go through at busy time ? Surely this is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

If people in traffic light queues actually moved off in a timely manner keeping up with cars in front then there would be bloody hundreds more cars per day getting through and help reduce this problem! Galway drivers are so bad at this.

Sorry rant over, Agree that there should be far more intelligent lights or controllable lights on the roads into Galway, the ones you mention in Claregalway being a really good example

• Advertisement

good point to Webbs.
    No need to keep 200m between cars when in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Webbs wrote: »
    If people in traffic light queues actually moved off in a timely manner keeping up with cars in front then there would be bloody hundreds more cars per day getting through and help reduce this problem!

Ive been saying tht for years. Such a head wreck.

I've noticed people have really slowed down because of the night driving tht is just started since the clocks changed. Some a little too slow. I believe this will improve slightly in the next few weeks when people get more comfortable driving at night again on such a busy route.

Road works in Knockdoe aint helping.

Roll on the frost, thats when the fun starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ah sure ! wrote: »
    The thing is that with the traffic light i believe it could be much better if they were set correctly.
    Aren't we supposed to be paying a million a year to a monitoring company to manage the new lights? They're certainly on timers at the moment and biased in the favour of traffic coming off the motorway which is basically screwing everyone in the rest of Galway.

I tend to turn off at Claregalway now, it suits me as I usually have to call into Oranmore on Galway trips but even coming back the way there isn't as much of a cue of traffic waiting at the Claregalway lights and I get out onto the N17 with the first rotation of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themarkmeister

ScumLord wrote: »
    Aren't we supposed to be paying a million a year to a monitoring company to manage the new lights? They're certainly on timers at the moment and biased in the favour of traffic coming off the motorway which is basically screwing everyone in the rest of Galway.

No wonder the country is screwed

will get me chair, a blanket and loads of coffee , i am telling you for a million quids i can "monitor" these lights too !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Last night on my way from Galway to Tuam , hundreds of cars queing in Claregalway but only very few coming from Carmore direction !
    Same this morning but this time going to Galway , 30 minutes to cross the village but 3 cars coming from Carnmore ! Yes only 3 cars !!

Would it be too much setting the traffic light in such way that more car go through at busy time ? Surely this is possible.

There's a 4th side to that set of lights - the entrance to Hughes' which makes a right mess of it because they have to operate separately from the lights coming from Carnmore as the two traffic streams would clash.

It was priceless to see the difference turning off certain sets of lights made to traffic in the city over the past 10 years. For gridlock to free flowing traffic in the areas. The problem is that it made it very hard to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

good point to Webbs.
    No need to keep 200m between cars when in traffic.
    agree, you could fit two buses in between some cars, and when the lights go green no one moves, but when it turns red cars rocket through...

Advertisement