Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seriously Agressive Taxi Driver

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Your wifes attitude wasnt exactly polite either regardless of the situation saying things like "she told him to stuff it."
    In fairness that was after all the shenanigans he got up to. If he had been decent about it, arranged another taxi, had a spare wheel, didn't tell her to get out, pretend to be ringing the Gardai etc. she would have had no problem coming to an arrangement with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Isn't walking on the Motorway Illegal? Who would be at fault is she had to walk I wonder. Herself or the taxi driver by forcing her/tricking her into commiting an illegal act.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Leaflets/Leaf_booklets/motorway_driving.pdf

"You must not enter a motorway
    IF you are walking, cycling or moving animals"
    Notwithstanding the situation with my wife, in an emergency situation, one is entitled to walk on a motorway hard shoulder - e.g. to reach an SOS telephone.

The regulation apply to general use of a motorway by pedestrians, cyclists etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I've only had an issue once hailing a cab in town, stepaside please, ah I'm at the end of my shift blah blah blah, grand fook off then, min €25 fair ill get somebody else.

Cheers myself and the next taxi driver had a great bit of banter about it.

As from Dublin airport my dad was a taxi driver for awhile back in 2000 and had a airport pass, he didn't care because he said for every one short hop fair you got about 5 decent ones.

But it's always being there, that sh1t attitude of the short trips only experienced it once with a friend.

Now I don't bother with the rank I call a taxi company who do a fixed charged drop and pick up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He got out and made a a couple of calls and told her that the Gardai would be there shortly to deal with the fare evasion issue. Great she said. They will also be impressed that you were prepared to dump a female out on the side of a motorway on a dark wet morning at 6am and that you don't have a spare wheel which you are legally obliged to have in a SPSV.

He obviously thought about it a bit more because he got out again and made another call and a second taxi arrived. He demanded the fare again but she told him to stuff it.

Was he legally obliged to demand the displayed fare in those circumstances? He didn't pursue it anyway. (The second taxi driver was a gent and was shocked about what he heard).

I think she was very naive to sit in the car and allow the taxi driver to make all the calls. What happens when 2 more cars pull up and some of the boyos get out. Seriously she should have called the Guards herself or at least let someone know what was going on and keep an open line.

Regarding the racism issue just look at this site
    http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,20523.0.html?PHPSESSID=kj2lhp3d9cvm6a55e5m0b2u964

Just look at the avatars the 'lads' are using.

Also at the Burlington rank I have never once seen a black driver queueing. I have seen an otherwise respectable looking taxi driver shouting obscenities at a black driver who happened to drive by. Unfortunately I didn't know which taxi was his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Wishbone, as the law stands your OH has to to pay the fare on the meter and the driver isn't obliged to discount it if asked. Likewise, he isn't obliged to call another taxi in the event of a breakdown or stoppage.

Common sense would suggest that he should have done otherwise given the circumstances; at the very least he should have done was to have seen her safely off the side of the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Regarding the racism issue just look at this site
    http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,20523.0.html?PHPSESSID=kj2lhp3d9cvm6a55e5m0b2u964

Just look at the avatars the 'lads' are using.

Is this about the ministrel?

Sure Lyons tea used them for decades

Turned a generation of Irish tea drinkers into flaming racists :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Shifty11

Dublin airport should implement a two tiered system. One for drivers only looking for long haul journeys, and one for drivers looking for the short ones. SIMPLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

repsol wrote: »
    So you have no right to comment on something you know nothing about,you werent there.I told you what happened,who was involved gave you FACTS and the outcome .NO taxi driver was involved .

[They just hate them for no reason?

Seems so, judgeing by some of the comments so far.

[My missus is a copper and several taxi drivers had cars damaged because they were accused by other drivers of not as you call it "withdrawing their service"

Your missus who saw the cars being damaged I presume then she took them into custody and charged them ?

[Proof?This is a forum.It is not a court and you are not a barrister (if your spelling is anything to go by).I am entitled to give my opinion and if you don't like it I suggest you go and sit in the Kesh for 3 hours for NOTHING!

Well if you are going to make accusations you should back them up with proof, otherwise it falls in line with your other inaccurate /false comments from the comfort of your armchair

It has been widely reported on the TV and in the broadsheet newspapers (they are the ones on the shelf beside The Sun,lots of big words and no page 3 girls).

So you believe everything you see on tv and read in the papers? It must be lovely being so gullible.
    If you are referring to a recent story regarding drivers with green lights .This "story " was concocted by a so called "journalist" from a particular website .I personally know 5 african drivers who had them and 4 eastern european drivers .
    When this so called journalist was asked by numerous bodies for proof of so called "racism" she couldnt supply any ,nor could she explain why so many non irish drivers had them either.
    It was a non story and shoddy "journalism ".
    I'm an Irish Times reader and would not and have not read "da sun".As for your reference to page 3 girls ,well since I am gay it doesnt do it for me .
    Perhaps it does for you ,but since you are married to a "ban garda" perhaps not!

[Why did you mention the word African twice?Are African taxi drivers not taxi drivers? As for the "double jobbing " argument, there is no limit on the number of hours drivers do as taxis do not have a tachograph.A driver doing 40 hours in a bus and 20 hours in a taxi per week is no more dangerous than a "full time taxi driver"(love those stickers:D) doing 60 hours in his taxi.It is still 60 hours driving in total.

Why did I mention Africian driver?Well we are not talking about train drivers here or crane drivers ,it is about taxi drivers afterall .Maybe your intelligence couldnt work that one out and erm because the show WAs about 2 africian drivers in particular.

[I didn't say "all" taxis were dirty.With regard to my NCT comment I refer back to Primetime.The defective car which was hired to the reporter had a valid NCT.Seriously do a class or get the kids to spell check for you

Oh right so you are back tracking .
    the Primetime programme revealed dodgy goings on with some people who worked within the NCT setup,the defective car was hired out by this particular african individual who was hireing out cars that were shown to be defective and payments were made to NCT individuals to pass out defective cars.
    So whats your point ......??????????
    As for my spelling ,it is rather hard typing on this phone whilst watching paint dry !

If the driver has no legal obligation to call another taxi would it not be in their trade's interest to have a code of conduct for this type of thing, since we regularly hear taxi drivers referring to their "profession".

No he hasnt any legal obligation to call another taxi.The whole incident obviously could have been handled better by both parties as it seemed they got off to a bad start .
    Secondly,if he wasnt part of a radio company,how could he call another ,but as I said the whole incident could have been handled better by both parties.Code of conduct doesnt come into it ,common sense does.

Would she have been entitled to be taken back to the airport as he didn't fulfill his part of the "contract"?

He had a puncture how could he bring her back to the airport?
    Can he legally ask a pedestrian to get out and walk on a motorway with luggage in the dark and rain?

Without having to keep repeating myself ,the whole incident could have been handled better by both parties involved.
    Why was he keen that the Gardai didn't arrive on the scene? ?
    You should contact him and ask.

I notice you evaded the spare wheel part! ?

Not intentional .

He was therefore operating with a vehicle not fit for purpose. Can he legally demand a fare in those circumstances

Well he was operating a vehicle fit for purpose ,he got a puncture ,it happens .Perhaps he had a spare wheel and couldnt change the wheel.But it is all conjecture .Yes he can ask for the fare even if the passenger was a tad rude as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Notwithstanding the situation with my wife, in an emergency situation, one is entitled to walk on a motorway hard shoulder - e.g. to reach an SOS telephone.

The regulation apply to general use of a motorway by pedestrians, cyclists etc.
    The driver should not have been on the road without a spare wheel and when he broke down on the motorway should have walked to the nearest sos phone and called for local breakdown assistance or called for a tow truck from his own mobile!
    Wishbone, as the law stands your OH has to to pay the fare on the meter and the driver isn't obliged to discount it if asked. Likewise, he isn't obliged to call another taxi in the event of a breakdown or stoppage.

Common sense would suggest that he should have done otherwise given the circumstances; at the very least he should have done was to have seen her safely off the side of the motorway.
    As the law stands this driver was acting illegally by not carrying a spare wheel and also by dropping a passenger off on a motorway!

Common sense would dictate the driver should have rang for a tow truck to have his unroadworthy car taken off the motorway as changing a wheel on the motorway hard shoulder or slip roads is an offence, and then asked the passenger to pay what was on the meter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is something I dread, I live in Swords and travel a lot and regularly get home outside of bus service hours.

You'd swear the taxi drivers were doing me a favour driving me home.

The two tiered system sounds good, I'd prefer to wait for a good tempered taxi driver than some of the lunatics who spend the entire journey seething about the fact I'm only an eight euro fare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Is this about the ministrel?

Sure Lyons tea used them for decades

Yes but not anymore for good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭genfoley

MANY a holiday ending has been ruined by those nasty assed airport drivers and dont say Im generalising we travel way way too much and 95% of the drivers give us some sort of grief going to a nearby location. I dont care what rules there are in the airport and how they are supposed to work things but we call our local reliable taxi service who come to pick us up - both parties happy out, they get their fare and we get home happy and jolly not nervous wrecks coz they barely hit the road trying to get back within the 20minutes. Disgraceful taxi people at the airport, I dont feel sorry for ye one bit.

If ur good to people in this life you get it back tenfold - ye should remember that :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

So you have no right to comment on something you know nothing about,you werent there.I told you what happened,who was involved gave you FACTS and the outcome .NO taxi driver was involved .

Seems so, judgeing by some of the comments so far.

Your missus who saw the cars being damaged I presume then she took them into custody and charged them

I didn't say she saw them being damaged.(read the post).The sort of guys who key someones car ,particularly a car someone relies upon for their livelihood are cowards and would never do it with an audience.The drivers in question ,who were quite upset came to the station to report the matter.There was another incident where 2 airport staff members cars were smashed to pieces in the car park that the queue for the Kesh passes.They are both part time taximen (you would probably call them double jobbers) and there was some evidence of this visible on the cars although they had no roof signs.No other cars were touched,just these 2 out of about 300 or so cars.Before you ask,there is no proof ,but you wouldn't need to be Poirot to work out who did the damage

Well if you are going to make accusations you should back them up with proof, otherwise it falls in line with your other inaccurate /false comments from the comfort of your armchair

So you believe everything
    you see on tv and read in the papers? It must be lovely being so gullible.
    If you are referring to a recent story regarding drivers with green lights .This "story " was concocted by a so called "journalist" from a particular website .I personally know 5 african drivers who had them and 4 eastern european drivers .
    When this so called journalist was asked by numerous bodies for proof of so called "racism" she couldnt supply any ,nor could she explain why so many non irish drivers had them either.
    It was a non story and shoddy "journalism ".
    I'm an Irish Times reader and would not and have not read "da sun".As for your reference to page 3 girls ,well since I am gay it doesnt do it for me .
    Perhaps it does for you ,but since you are married to a "ban garda" perhaps not!
    If you are gay as you say ,I would have thought you would have a bit more tolerance towards other minorities.

Why did I mention Africian driver?Well we are not talking about train drivers here or crane drivers ,it is about taxi drivers afterall .Maybe your intelligence couldnt work that one out and erm because the show WAs about 2 africian drivers in particular.

I will spell it out for you Oisin because you are obviously a bit slow on the uptake.You seemed to feel it necessary to label these 2 individuals as "African" which you seem to imply separates them from taxi drivers as a group.It would make you appear a bit less bigoted if you had said "a taxi driver from Navan" or a "part time taxi driver who worked for Dublin Bus" rather than feeling the need to highlight the guys nationality which was hardly relevant

Oh right so you are back tracking .
    the Primetime programme revealed dodgy goings on with some people who worked within the NCT setup,the defective car was hired out by this particular african individual who was hireing out cars that were shown to be defective and payments were made to NCT individuals to pass out defective cars.
    So whats your point ......??????????
    As for my spelling ,it is rather hard typing on this phone whilst watching paint dry !
    You are obviously not reading what people are saying here Oisin.When people use words like "dread" when talking about using a service which you are part of,something is clearly wrong.When people are saying 95% of drivers are bad it makes your "few bad apples" argument a bit weak.And I notice you had no response about the taxi forum.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

Oh look...we're being talked about elsewhere...

http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,21521.0.html

What we've posted here is apparently "a loada gash". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

"a loada gash" .He must be another Times reader:D

I notice they are not actually claiming that these issues don't happen other than as one eloquently put it "Thos stories are a loada gash."

My guess is that those in the Taxi industry tolerate this kind of behaviour. If it wasn't the case it wouldn't happen due to self regulation.

I'm apparently a troll now because he asked me for a positive experience and I posted one that involved a foreign driver.

That site would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Guys, I appreciate all your feedback and comments on here.. saying that and I dont mean anything personal by this but... It was never my intention starting this thread to have it turn into a 'taxi driver bashing' session. Good and bad in every walk of life. More than anything I ****in hate this **** like all .. taxi drivers.. guards, nurses.. public servants *insert said demographic of person* are this that or the other. That stuff just seriously sets us back as a society and promotes just nothing but negitiavity, lazy stereotypes and division and for the most part just isnt anyway true and representitive of the overall. Sound taxi guy just dropped us back from having a few beers and he couldnt have been nicer or more professional, job done happy days. He is the norm more than the exception. I believe at the Airport Rank from what I have experienced , heard and seen there could be an issue with as I imagine a minority there too. I have gone down an official route both with the DAA (Airport Police) and shortly the carriage office and hopefully that individual will be greated with the reaction and feedback that his attitude and performance that night deserved which hopefully all right minded people would think fair and just. Otherwise the world continues to turn and sheeeet its ****in cold in Dublin tonight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I'm going to start recording on my phone before I get into a taxi in the airport from now on. I dont know whether i'll send the recordings to the gardai or Youtube. But I can guarantee that at least 2 out of 3 times i get a taxi in Dublin airport I get the same sh!t from the driver.
    Phone up to your ear to get a nice mug shot of the taxi driver, and then put it on youtube.

=-=

I wonder how many extras they can charge you for for picking you up at the airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Demanding documentation of racism in the Irish taxi driver industry is like asking for documentation on the high presence of culchie accents in the Gardai. I don't know anybody who regularly uses taxis who has not had to listen to it on the way home, or seen it in action. The only people in Ireland apparently fortunate enough to never once have witnessed it are, curiously enough, large collectives of taxi drivers.

The taxi rank politics of it all, I can't speak for, but I've heard it with my own ears on a regular enough basis not to have any doubt about its prevalence. And that's mild - a friend of mine has been turfed out of a taxi for being a job stealing African just recently, having lived and paid his taxes in the country for twelve years doing specialised government work. He's not even African; he's French.

Asking for "documentation" is a sidestep tactic, there is not one person in this country unaware of the wholly justified reputation of the trade in this regard. Not all taxi drivers are racist, of course. But I've heard a lot more racism from taxi drivers than I've heard from, for instance, hairdressers, and the complete barefaced denial of same from taxi driver representatives only compounds the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 acousticguy

But I've heard a lot more racism from taxi drivers than I've heard from, for instance, hairdressers, and the complete barefaced denial of same from taxi driver representatives only compounds the problem.

Most of the drivers I've taken have been sound but I do feel pretty awkward when that undertone comes up when they start ranting off about the "foreigners" in their ranks.I usually don't respond and side track the subject with something else. But I'd easily say 7/10 taxi's I've gotten in over the past year the topic has been mentioned to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Most of the drivers I've taken have been sound but I do feel pretty awkward when that undertone comes up when they start ranting off about the "foreigners" in their ranks.I usually don't respond and side track the subject with something else. But I'd easily say 7/10 taxi's I've gotten in over the past year the topic has been mentioned to be honest.

I would 7/10 is about right from my experience too. Maybe some recording of racist rants for YouTube is needed too.

I'm apparently a troll now because he asked me for a positive experience and I posted one that involved a foreign driver.

That site would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Reading the other thread here and if that is the attitude of "the nicest driver you have never met". I think I will be happy enough "never have the pleasure of meeting" him. Note the nod to the extremist revolutionary groups in the guys avatar and signature which goes against what Oisin said earlier regarding the taxi marches that get hijacked by the socialist movement. Seems to be the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Regarding the airport taxis I do my best never to get one. I will take the Air coach or one of the Dublin buses passing through before I would bother with the taxis.

Reading the other thread here and if that is the attitude of "the nicest driver you have never met". I think I will be happy enough "never have the pleasure of meeting" him. Note the nod to the extremist revolutionary groups in the guys avatar and signature which goes against what Oisin said earlier regarding the taxi marches that get hijacked by the socialist movement. Seems to be the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Regarding the airport taxis I do my best never to get one. I will take the Air coach or one of the Dublin buses passing through before I would bother with the taxis.

That solution is great for you who lives here and is aware of the pond life working on the airport rank.What about the tourists?:They will be soured against Ireland before they get to their hotel by these scumbags.The DAA needs to have a big clearout and put standards in place limiting the age and size of car,cleanliness etc and then have secret shoppers to check that standards are met.The remaining proper drivers would earn a great living because they wouldn't have to wait in line behind all the thugs in the 15 year old heaps of ****:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

why these guys choose to sit in a q for hours is beyond me...would it not be more productive to drive the streets or even try the ranks around town looking for work...they have no excuse to be disgruntled when somebody avails of their services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

why these guys choose to sit in a q for hours is beyond me...would it not be more productive to drive the streets or even try the ranks around town looking for work...they have no excuse to be disgruntled when somebody avails of their services
    I suppose they aren't wasting petrol while they wait and are hoping for a €25+ trip when they get to the top of the queue.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I suppose they aren't wasting petrol while they wait and are hoping for a €25+ trip when they get to the top of the queue.

Probably wasting it on the newspapers, ciggs and energy drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Probably wasting it on the newspapers, ciggs and energy drinks.
    thats going to happen anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EnterNow wrote: »
    Didn't you know, the world owes Taxi drivers a living
    Behave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Well 10/10 to Rapid Cabs in Wawterford.

A few years ago I was visiting relatives down there and I got a hackney (no sign) from one of their offices, a white man, local accent, the whole way along immigrants immigrants immigrants blah blah blah. Shut me ears and me gob, paid the fcker etc.

A fewer years ago though I went to the same office, I got into me allocated car, hackney again,no sign. Guess what ? To quote- "I'm fcukin sick of these fcuking fcukers from the Cameroons and Biafra getting everything for fcuk all and our elected representatives standing up for them, I'm glad I never vote for any of them" !!!!

The "Cameroons" and "Biafra" went out in the 1950s.....

We're 4 minutes into the fare so I say "I'm out at the traffic lights", Barracks Street (I think) no cash for you boy and into the closest pub for a pint and to ring another taxi from the same firm, for (to be honest) divillment.

The response though- a replacement woman cab driver who clearly knew this twit, didn't want to take the fare ( I insisted I'd pay, I'd saved 3 quid already :D) but more importantly a fone call the next morning regarding the matter.

Its endemic but thankfully in some case not epidemic.

I didn't say she saw them being damaged.(read the post).The sort of guys who key someones car ,particularly a car someone relies upon for their livelihood are cowards and would never do it with an audience.

So now you are saying she didnt see anyone damage their cars.BUT the individuals who did do it had an audience !Now given that there are approx 27,000 taxis in Ireland ,you tar them all because of a few individuals . It's getting more fantastic by the minute .
    There was another incident where 2 airport staff members cars were smashed to pieces in the car park that the queue for the Kesh passes.,

That is simply not true
    They are both part time taximen (you would probably call them double jobbers) and there was some evidence of this visible on the cars although they had no roof signs.No other cars were touched,just these 2 out of about 300 or so cars.Before you ask,there is no proof ,

The comments in "bold" speak for themselves, regarding your wild completely over exaggerated nonsense. I suppose you were there yourself or "someone close to you told you".
    If you are gay as you say ,I would have thought you would have a bit more tolerance towards other minorities.,

Eh ,what ? What a ridiculous idiotic thing to say .I shouldn't be at all surprised given your OTT comments so far,but the above really was your best yet .
    I will spell it out for you Oisin because you are obviously a bit slow on the uptake.

falls off seat laughing
    You seemed to feel it necessary to label these 2 individuals as "African" which you seem to imply separates them from taxi drivers as a group.It would make you appear a bit less bigoted if you had said "a taxi driver from Navan" or a "part time taxi driver who worked for Dublin Bus" rather than feeling the need to highlight the guys nationality which was hardly relevant

Well I felt it necessary to label no one ,It was how these individuals were portrayed in the Primtime programme .If you have an issue with it ,which you clearly do in you OTT PC world (just to be clear that is not the computer store),I suggest you write in to the DG of RTE Donnybrook Dublin 4

You are obviously not reading what people are saying here Oisin.When people use words like "dread" when talking about using a service which you are part of,something is clearly wrong.

An individual who makes a comment on a forum like this is hardly the "norm".but maybe in your world it is .
    When people are saying 95% of drivers are bad it makes your "few bad apples" argument a bit weak.And I notice you had no response about the taxi forum.:p

Because the facts are 95% of drivers and not bad and that's the reality of the situation.But since you are prone to exaggeration and fantasy nothing you say can be taken seriously .
    But it has been one of the most amuseing posts on here in a long time .
    Now I'm off to look after all the minorities and save the world

Strumms wrote: »
    It was never my intention starting this thread to have it turn into a 'taxi driver bashing' session.!

Unfortunately Strumms no matter what the thread is, regarding any taxi issue it ALWAYS turns into a taxi bashing session.Everything thing under the sun is thrown into the mix .
    Good and bad in every walk of life. More than anything I ****in hate this **** like all .. taxi drivers.. guards, nurses.. public servants *insert said demographic of person* are this that or the other. That stuff just seriously sets us back as a society and promotes just nothing but negitiavity, lazy stereotypes and division and for the most part just isnt anyway true and representitive of the overall. !

Well said .Nice to see someone speaking some common sense.
    Sound taxi guy just dropped us back from having a few beers and he couldnt have been nicer or more professional, job done happy days. He is the norm more than the exception.!

Again well said
    I believe at the Airport Rank from what I have experienced , heard and seen there could be an issue with as I imagine a minority there too..!

As above .
    I have gone down an official route both with the DAA (Airport Police) and shortly the carriage office and hopefully that individual will be greated with the reaction and feedback that his attitude and performance that night deserved which hopefully all right minded people would think fair and just.

I would pass on going to the carriage office ,your complaint should be made to the NTA. Best of luck and it was nice to see a balanced clear and accurate account of drivers in general .

I think people reading this thread have made up their own minds about you and the rest of the taxi fraternity Oisin.You are so dense you actually believe every word out of your mouth is a fact.You don't appear to be able read the posts properly,you just steam in with nonsense replies. Maybe you are struggling to earn a living ,thats the only reason I can think of for your blind anger.I hope your situation improves.:)

I think people reading this thread have made up their own minds about you and the rest of the taxi fraternity Oisin.You are so dense you actually believe every word out of your mouth is a fact.You don't appear to be able read the posts properly,you just steam in with nonsense replies. Maybe you are struggling to earn a living ,thats the only reason I can think of for your blind anger.I hope your situation improves.:)

True dat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Y'see that's what angers a lot of taxi drivers...
    I think people reading this thread have made up their own minds about you and the rest of the taxi fraternity

People seem to forget that pre dereg there were 2000 odd taxis now there are 12000 plus taxis serving Dublin alone, and when people stop tarring 12000 drivers with the same brush you might get somewhere, How many times do you see in a thread " I remember when I had to Q for 5 hours to get a taxi " was that the fault of the 10000 new drivers? Oh yeah of course it was after all they are all dirty stinking taxi drivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

This wouldn't have happened if you got in a Nigerian's taxi!:pac:

Bandito909 wrote: »
    This wouldn't have happened if you got in a Nigerian's taxi!:pac:

Perfect example!

Spook_ie;81583554]Y'see that's what angers a lot of taxi drivers...
    No.What angers a lot of taxi drivers is foreigners,part time drivers or anybody wishing to become a driver,passengers who want to go a short distance,passengers who wish to go a long distance,passengers who wish to be charged the correct fare,the taxi regulator,Gardai,anyone in a wheelchair who wishes to use a wheelchair taxi,anyone wanting to use a taxi when the driver is "about to knock off",anyone who lives in a 4 mile radius of the Airport and has the audacity to want to use a taxi,in fact just about everyone seems to anger them
    People seem to forget that pre dereg there were 2000 odd taxis now there are 12000 plus taxis serving Dublin alone, and when people stop tarring 12000 drivers with the same brush you might get somewhere, How many times do you see in a thread " I remember when I had to Q for 5 hours to get a taxi " was that the fault of the 10000 new drivers? Oh yeah of course it was after all they are all dirty stinking taxi drivers!

Deregulation did away with taximen having to work 4 days a week to pay the greedy **** who rented them his plate and work another 2 days to eat.It was great to see all the idiots who thought they had 80 grand coming to them for a bit of paper getting a kick in the boll0x.Oh and by the way,people are unlikely to forget about the deregulation because taximen never stop crying about it:D

• Advertisement

No.What angers a lot of taxi drivers is foreigners,part time drivers or anybody wishing to become a driver,passengers who want to go a short distance,passengers who wish to go a long distance,passengers who wish to be charged the correct fare,the taxi regulator,Gardai,anyone in a wheelchair who wishes to use a wheelchair taxi,anyone wanting to use a taxi when the driver is "about to knock off",anyone who lives in a 4 mile radius of the Airport and has the audacity to want to use a taxi,in fact just about everyone seems to anger them

Deregulation did away with taximen having to work 4 days a week to pay the greedy **** who rented them his plate and work another 2 days to eat.It was great to see all the idiots who thought they had 80 grand coming to them for a bit of paper getting a kick in the boll0x.Oh and by the way,people are unlikely to forget about the deregulation because taximen never stop crying about it:D

Again another perfect example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

I am actually disgusted by the absolute sh1te posted on here. You had a bad experience with a taxi driver, report it if you want and move on. Stop painting a whole profession with the one brush. I'm living in Galway but have also lived in Limerick and Dublin and I can count on one hand the amount of bad experiences I've had in taxis and that's saying a lot since I worked nights for a lot of years and got a lot of taxis.

When I say bad experiences I mean giving out about foreign drivers, this occurred maybe 3-4 times in all over a large number of years. But you are just as likely to hear Galway taxi drivers sometimes complain about drivers from other parts of the country coming to Galway for the Galway races. In general taxi drivers I get, regardless of their nationality, are gents and do a good job. I am much more likely to go into a shop and have a rude shop assistant than I am to get a rude taxi driver but you wont see me coming on boards and slagging off all shop assistants because a handful are cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

Ive actually made my mind up about you repsol. Your posts show you to be small minded and unable to comprehend that just because a small number of taxi drivers behave in a certain way it doesn't mean that they all do. This lack of comprehension may be indicative of an underlying lack of intelligence.

I am actually disgusted by the absolute sh1te posted on here. You had a bad experience with a taxi driver, report it if you want and move on. Stop painting a whole profession with the one brush. I'm living in Galway but have also lived in Limerick and Dublin and I can count on one hand the amount of bad experiences I've had in taxis and that's saying a lot since I worked nights for a lot of years and got a lot of taxis.

When I say bad experiences I mean giving out about foreign drivers, this occurred maybe 3-4 times in all over a large number of years. But you are just as likely to hear Galway taxi drivers sometimes complain about drivers from other parts of the country coming to Galway for the Galway races. In general taxi drivers I get, regardless of their nationality, are gents and do a good job. I am much more likely to go into a shop and have a rude shop assistant than I am to get a rude taxi driver but you wont see me coming on boards and slagging off all shop assistants because a handful are cnuts

Great post ,well said

Well the problem I have with threads like this is that no matter what criticism is made of taxi drivers, the usual suspects appear crying "taxi-bashing!!", try to spin things around on the customer in each sceanrio and ignore the facts of the situation.

There is very clearly an issue with taxi drivers at the airport (you know, the thread topic). It has happened to me numerous times, friends and colleagues have similar stories and you only have to look at this forum to see how common it is. It is something that needs to be addressed in a very serious way.

It is no use claiming that its just taxi-bashing, just like there is no use in claiming all drivers are the same. They're not, of course they're not. That doesn't mean this shít doesn't go on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ok, well as the OP here I'd like to continue with another comment about Taxi drivers or one in particular. Had a few pints tonight in Kealeys there and hailed down a gentleman outside for the run home. When I say Gentleman.. he was one absolutly we had a grand chat in his comfortable and clean car, no ranting about foreigners or anything to do with his profession, he got a generous tip for his service and thats that. The other not so much a gentleman from Thursday will still be followed up don't worry I'm not going soft :)

As regards the greater debate about the taxi industry that I seem to have unleashed as a result of my initial comments on one particular individual. I would firstly like to say i'm just an outsider looking in, however I do use Taxi's quite a bit, not only in Dublin but I travel quite a bit for work and also my own pleasure. I have had the whole racist conversation with guys in Taxis in Dublin all be it not that much, when I say conversation when the topic drifts in that direction I just usually let them at it after remarking that it hasnt been my experience, which it hasnt. This leads me onto another story...

About 2 years ago I hailed a cab on Glasnevin Avenue, got in, a foreign gentleman was driving most likely Asian not that it matters either way and I asked to go to the National stadium. He asked if I had a preferential route, I told him I did not as he would be more familiar with that particular side of the city etc. I then went on my phone texting the mates and not minding much where we were only to look up a few minutes later and he was turning left off Santry Lane towards MORTON STADIUM ! When I pointed it out to him that he was going in the wrong direction he got very embarassed and insisted that the journey onwards to my actual destination would be free. I knew completly by his response and deameanour that it wasnt some scam on his behalf and he was generally embarrassed, in hindsight I could have been more specific giving him the instruction, maybe. Either way he refused to put on the meter at all or take any payment once with got there so I had to actually throw in 15 quid through the front passenger window when I got out. **** up on his part yeah, perhaps, but it was genuine. I take more comfort from the fact that he was a genuine nice guy out there making a buck than the fact he made that honest mistake.

What I am getting at is the big sweeping statments condeming any whole industry gets us nowhere because for the say 10% just using that number for arguments sake are bad apples you are also hitting the good guys who do care about the customer, passangers and the industry that they represent. By starting this thread I really wanted to find out if their was a systemic problem at the airport. Systemic dones't mean that all of them or most of them fail to provide the service as I experienced but that there are a reasonable amount of taxi drivers working the airport who are causing an issue which for the benefit of the customers and the many good guys in the profession who care about the customers and the image of their trade, well it looks like it could be the case. It should be a priority for that to be sorted quick time which is why I have taken the actions I have by going to the AP and subsequently reporting it to the carriage office tomorrow. Anyone who experiences simular I would urge to do likewise and nip it in the bud.

Either way its an interesting debate. Either way Oisin thanks for your imput I know that as an insider you are keen to speak up for your guys all be it very quick to do so I might add ! remember the customers are not the bad guys, neing are (most) of you ;) but either way if these issues are made known and officially reported and identified in any walk of life not just this topic its a lot better than bluster and fury on any forum, the pub, or the Joe Duffy show *shudders* so I think I'll bow out of this one now and go back to talking about monkey porn or some sheeet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Originally Posted by repsol

Deregulation did away with taximen having to work 4 days a week to pay the greedy **** who rented them his plate and work another 2 days to eat.It was great to see all the idiots who thought they had 80 grand coming to them for a bit of paper getting a kick in the boll0x.Oh and by the way,people are unlikely to forget about the deregulation because taximen never stop crying about it

*******************************************************************************************

Your point is flawed and here's why. All the taxi drivers who whinge about de-regulation are gone from the biz. The industry/drivers are now made up of probably 95%+ "new license". The vast vast majority of which had nothing to do with waiting hrs and hrs for taxies 8-12 yrs ago. Most current drivers got into the biz after that period.

yabadabado wrote: »

Hoping?? Im hoping to win the lotto, but i dont bite the head off the newsagent when i dont.

Well the problem I have with threads like this is that no matter what criticism is made of taxi drivers, the usual suspects appear crying "taxi-bashing!!", try to spin things around on the customer in each sceanrio and ignore the facts of the situation.

There is very clearly an issue with taxi drivers at the airport (you know, the thread topic). It has happened to me numerous times, friends and colleagues have similar stories and you only have to look at this forum to see how common it is. It is something that needs to be addressed in a very serious way.

It is no use claiming that its just taxi-bashing, just like there is no use in claiming all drivers are the same. They're not, of course they're not. That doesn't mean this shít doesn't go on though.

The problem is some taxies dont do their job alright. BUT, when this happens...............the disgruntled passengers ALSO dont do their job in REPORTING it. Your like most the Irish and the whole political arena we live in, you dont get up off your ars.es and protest, you jump online to moan and look for sympathetic ears. That toe-rag (driver) will treat the next short fare for DA the same BECAUSE he got away with it.

the disgruntled passengers ALSO dont do their job in REPORTING it. Your like most the Irish and the whole political arena we live in, you dont get up off your ars.es and protest, you jump online to moan and look for sympathetic ears. That toe-rag (driver) will treat the next short fare for DA the same BECAUSE he got away with it.

I am just curious as to why you think it is the job of the public to look after your industry. As a consumer when I receive bad service I look for alternatives. This is why as I have posted I avoid taxis as much as possible by using any alternative means of transport available.
    Taxi drivers KNOW these issues are happening but seem reluctant to sort them out yourselves, always blaming someone else. So now it is the customers fault??:pac:
    Any time the government or other try to make a change, presumably to address the issues in the public concern (ie the customers) we can expect a blockade of the airport/O'Connell Street/insert main thoroughfare here so it is clear the protestors (whether they represent a majority or not) are not out for the public interest.

I am just curious as to why you think it is the job of the public to look after your industry. As a consumer when I receive bad service I look for alternatives. This is why as I have posted I avoid taxis as much as possible by using any alternative means of transport available.
    Taxi drivers KNOW these issues are happening but seem reluctant to sort them out yourselves, always blaming someone else. So now it is the customers fault??:pac:
    Any time the government or other try to make a change, presumably to address the issues in the public concern (ie the customers) we can expect a blockade of the airport/O'Connell Street/insert main thoroughfare here so it is clear the protestors (whether they represent a majority or not) are not out for the public interest.

Not particularly effective though...

If it was a case of you were avoiding an ethnic minority because of a bad service issue you'd be guilty of racism, similarly you are avoiding a complete service industry based on the same premise of bad service from a few drivers.... see the similarity

Anyway back to the other bit of your argument
    I am just curious as to why you think it is the job of the public to look after your industry.
    A taxi driver isn't in the same position to report on another taxi driver simply because we aren't in the vehicle, you the passenger are. Now unless the NTA suddenly decide to employ a couple of hundred more enforcement agents ( ain't gonna happen ) unless the customers report the incidents to the relevant office then nothings going to get done

• Advertisement
Advertisement