Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten food recommendations.

• 02-11-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've been searching the web but am having trouble finding good cat food recommendations. We are adopting our neighbours kitten but really know very little about cats (we currently have a dog).

I could really use some advise on the best food to feed him. He is about 5 months old and is currently being fed Whiskas wet food. My understanding is that this is pretty bad stuff.

When we got our dog we found it much easier to research foods. We finally settled on Robbies holistic food and as a result Archie (our dog) is thriving.

I would really like to find an equilivant for Jasper (our new kitten).

Also, while I'm at it, could you recommend some good websites for us to read up on general cat care.

Thanks as always,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi. I feed my cat Royal Canin nuts. They have a wide selection for a different cats. They stock Royal Canin nuts especially for kittens. I leave a supply of these for my cat with fresh water. As a supplement I also feed her the Royal Canin wet food pouches which she loves. If there is a Maxi Zoo near you, you could also try Select Gold nuts. They are German and my last cat thrived on these. They also stock Real Nature pouches which have a high meat content. Never give the cat milk of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I have the Tesco pouches, my kitten loves it. Had Whiskas once and Felix once, both were ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Either Royal Canin for cats or Burns Kitten are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hi snollup, do you have a specific budget that you want to spend or does it matter?

I feed a combo of Royal Canin dry nuts and Natures menu pouches. Natures menu have a high meat content (>50%) and although my cat drinks plenty of water i substitute the odd sachet 2 or 3 times a week now just in case. The debate of wet only or dry only is still getting mixed reviews and the majority do seem to go for wet only but i find mine would eat these all day long and still look for more,whereas he grazes happily on his 85g of nuts during the day, drink water and then really love his pouches when he does get them. He gets the odd small (teaspoon) bit of oil from my tuna tin twice a week (salmon oil is great though).I do when im all out of food give him Whiskas wet but his poos are shocking the next day so im really trying to knock that on the head.

Cats do well on a high meat/protein, low cereal diet and need the essential amino acid taurine too which is incorporated in most commercial diets.I have no experience or knowledge of the raw diet for cats but would be worth looking into too, as lots of Boardsies here have their dogs on it and are thriving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I've done quite a bit of research on the raw diet for cats and would love to be able to do it, but it's not as easy as feeding the dogs because of the cats inability to make taurine by themselves. Not to mention it's a lot easier to get dogs to accept raw than cats (bar kittens, the kittens haven't had any problems devouring chicken, pork or beef!). I'm currently feeding my cats an obesity food (they need a bit of a slim down) but they otherwise have select gold dry food, usually the hair and skin one. For the past two months I've also been giving one feed of chicken wing bones a day; stripped of most of the meat and with the skin taken off. Red, raw gums are now pink in colour again and their teeth are so much cleaner! I would definitely advise anyone with cats to give it a go because cats tend to have big issues with their teeth (especially if they dont hunt at all). One of mine had to have teeth out and it cost 120euro! Since feeding him two chicken bones every night his teeth and gums are very healthy. It did however take the past three months to get all of them content enough to eat the bones every day, they would turn their noses up now and again and it took one guy up until about two weeks ago before he would eat two every day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Currently I feed whiskas pouches and royal canin skin and coat dry food, with cats it can be difficult to find a correct food, you could buy the most expensive food, best on the market and the little fcukers will turn up their noses constantly. I've given up in regards to wet foods, they will only eat whiskas unless they are getting raw scraps, but they turn up their noses to any of the cheap dry foods and will only eat royal canin or hills science plan. They have my heart broken! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

any cat I've owned has liked variety. You find a food they will eat, stock up on it, and a couple of days later they won't touch it anymore. You end up with boxes of pouches with always at least one flavour rejected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We use the Royal Canin dry food and Felix pouches. I'd love to be able to afford the pricey wet food pouches but can't. I'd suggest that at least at first you ask what the neighbours have been feeding the kitten and stick with that for a while, until the kitten gets settled in with you. It'll be one less change for it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Rommie have the cats had any problem with constipation after the chicken bones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

boomerang wrote: »
    Rommie have the cats had any problem with constipation after the chicken bones?

No, they've been fine, which I was a bit surprised at but although their stools are solid, they haven't had any problems passing them. It's only two bones each a day

• Advertisement
Advertisement