Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The good old days(well sort of)

• 02-11-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭

With the united and arsenal game comin up on Saturday, I've seen the old clips of keane and vieira bust up in the tunnel. It brought me back to when teams had a tough tackling midfielder to set the tempo of the game, be it keane v vieira gerrard v keane gerrard v vieira, David batty, Denis wise Nicky butt Paul nice etc etc.

God I miss those days. When you'd look forward to the midfield battle and then the teams flare players would produce a moment of magic to win the game. When you had tough tackles and good football all rolled into one.

Now don't get me wrong the likes of Barcelona ,real and arsenal are a joy to watch but just once I'd love to see someone put in a crunching tackle that would have you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.

So what if a player got sent off now I don't want players gettin injured or someone deliberately doin someone in but the sendings off adds to the thrill of the game.

God I miss those days:(

So what's your memories????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

butcher.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I too miss the fiery midfield characters of yesteryear.

The days when you had Roy Keane and Stefan Effenberg on the same pitch for example.

It wasn't just a game of football it was almost like a showdown of gladiators. (Yeah I am dramatizing that quite a bit but so what? :pac:)

effoff.jpg

Aren't many players like this nowadays. Definitely something missing from the game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,078 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Modern football wouldn't let guys like Keane, Vieira, Effenberg, Ince, Robson exist any more. Sure its now a game that doesn't allow hard tackling.

These guys would be sent off every 2nd game.

The games worse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

NIMAN wrote: »
    Modern football wouldn't let guys like Keane, Vieira, Effenberg, Ince, Robson exist any more. Sure its now a game that doesn't allow hard tackling.

The games worse for it.

I wouldn't class any of those as hatchet men tbh, for me Keane,Vieira and Effenburg were on another level to the others and whilst they have made the odd nasty challenge or two, their positional play was astonishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The games worse for it.
    Bar Robson ,those lads were all playing less than 10 years ago,the game hasnt changed that much.None of them were hatchet men,all were good footballers who would have no problem adapting their games to suit .They would have been top class in any era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You miss defending......an art lost to todays football.

And not in a bad way, what has happened is teams that made defending an art have changed how football is played. All footballers could possibly play the barca way but if theres no need they wont.

Proper football has evolved because some teams were too fecking good at defending. So rather than race into a challenge be via a nippy winger or a AMF teams have to draw players out of position to exploit the space he leaves.

Barca the personification of this but EPL will go that way when the likes of Chelsea are playing Hazard, Mata and Oscar at the same time. Other teams will have to catch up and Ryan feckin Shawcross is not the answer.

Us and England will suffer in the long run unless we develop players like that.

ie a typical english EPL team will have 2 or 3 english/irish players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I really dont miss players like Dennis Wise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Isn't the tough tackling midfielder something that became rebranded as 'the Makelele role'tm and that role is very much out of favour at the minute..

For those that like the 'art of defending', they should be made watch a loop of Italia 90 games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

dfx- wrote: »
    Isn't the tough tackling midfielder something that became rebranded as 'the Makelele role'tm and that role is very much out of favour at the minute..

For those that like the 'art of defending', they should be made watch a loop of Italia 90 games..

Makele got the ball and gave it to the better players. that system is gone now the player in the role dictates the play.

His role is now the Chambers role.....you will see it next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

You mean the Carrick role. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

The games worse for it.
    Can you imagine Giles, Bremner, Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith in today's modern game :D
    For nostalgia go back and watch The Dammed United, you could punch someone in those days and still stay on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

dfx- wrote: »
    'the Makelele role'tm and that role is very much out of favour at the minute..

I dont know about that. Any team that has attacking full backs, usually has this type of midfielder. Sergio busquets for barca. Mikel/Ramires for chelsea. Diaby for Aresnal.

I think the Makelele role is still alive.
    But I think Roy Keane was the best defensive midfielder Ive ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

d22ontour wrote: »
    I wouldn't class any of those as hatchet men tbh, for me Keane,Vieira and Effenburg were on another level to the others and whilst they have made the odd nasty challenge or two, their positional play was astonishing.

Disagree. I'd have Robson over any of the above mentioned.

Advertisement