Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who creates viruses and why?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

God created viruses because he hates fags. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

pmcmahon wrote: »

Pmcmahon, I've only started seeing you around these parts but frankly, I like the cut of your jib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Most of them end up getting well paid jobs with the big security companies.....

So the myth about anti-virus companies creating viruses to keep themselves in business is true?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes is all I need.

Was reading the other day about a hacker in the Ukraine who was writing virus code & got pwned when security services hacked his machine & took control of his webcam.Stereotypical guy,sitting at his computer with no shirt on & looking like a tramp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Viruses were initially made so anti-viruses could be made and sold.

It's all business. Nowadays a lot of people write them "for the craic" though. Get MSE and CCleaner and to be 100% sure a sandboxed web browser (sandboxie for instance) and you'll be pretty much sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Cargin

....I thought it was Pandora, cos she opened her box....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I work in IT and since I bought my most recent personal laptop, I haven't used an anti-virus at all. It's gotten to the point where the cure is almost worse than the disease. AV software is largely terrible to be honest.

With a bit of care, you will rarely / never pick up a virus anyway. And when you do, free tools like MalwareBytes are great at sorting them out.

As for who makes them? As has been said, anyone and everyone for a huge variety of reasons. One of the most common is to create a botnet to use for the likes of DDoS attacks or spamming. People make money from some of them by pushing out pop-up advertisements to your system or trying to get you to buy bogus software.

A virus that is well written is the one that you don't know you have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

No living element on this planet seeks, or desires a virus. Modern day virus is a combination of many things that have resulted in many years of many things combining in a state that has now reached a level where, we as a species, are running out of not only "limited" immunisations, but wholly restricted preventions. In this planet of near 6.5 billion, everything and anything is up for exposure.

Cross contamination is happening at a rapid and potentially evolutionary scale, through all living organisms. I have to say, the entire planet (and as some people would say,"why now"?). Because, we have reached such an evolved and developed state, in such an accelarated pace over the last 50 years, that if we continue at that pace, we will reach a precipice, and only then will we realise that we have lost a battle that we thought we negotiated, some time before reality actually kicked in... In other words, humanity could possibly and quite evidently, be the master to end all existence on the planet, as we know it. A virus is a living organism, its definiton of life and will to survive, is similar to our own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No living element on this planet seeks, or desires a virus. Modern day virus is a combination of many things that have resulted in many years of many things combining in a state that has now reached a level where, we as a species, are running out of not only "limited" immunisations, but wholly restricted preventions. In this planet of near 6.5 billion, everything and anything is up for exposure.
    A virus is a living organism, its definiton of life and will to survive, is similar to our own.
    Eh, did you bother reading the thread? This is about computer viruses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement