Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2012/2013 Betting Thread

• 02-11-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be a good idea for us to have a thread dedicated to betting on the NBA this season.

Any bets for tonight? I like the look of a Pacers (-7) @ Bobcats and Heat (-6) @ a completely injury depleted Knicks team. The double pays just over 5/2 with Paddy Power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Paully D wrote: »
    Thought it might be a good idea for us to have a thread dedicated to betting on the NBA this season.

Any bets for tonight? I like the look of a Pacers (-7) @ Bobcats and Heat (-6) @ a completely injury depleted Knicks team. The double pays just over 5/2 with Paddy Power.

There is the '1st big event in New York since Sandy' effect to consider here though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

pithater1 wrote: »
    There is the '1st big event in New York since Sandy' effect to consider here though

True mate. I still think the Heat will be too strong against such an injury hit team though.

Pacers lose by 1 and the Heat are struggling big time, down 15 in the 3rd. I'm going to sit back for a couple of weeks to get a better idea of how everyone is shaping up this year before betting on the NBA again.

Paully D wrote: »
    Pacers lose by 1 and the Heat are struggling big time, down 15 in the 3rd. I'm going to sit back for a couple of weeks to get a better idea of how everyone is shaping up this year before betting on the NBA again.

I underestimated the hurricane effect aswell man, might be worth favouring the giants in the football due to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

I hate to say it, but I think the safest bet you'll make all year is for the lakers to keep losing games.

Princetons not working and Nash is out with shin contusion.

:(

• Advertisement

I like the looks of a Celtics/Bulls spread double for tonight, any particular reason why this doesn't seem like a good idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

pithater1 wrote: »
    I like the looks of a Celtics/Bulls spread double for tonight, any particular reason why this doesn't seem like a good idea?

Wouldn't have that strong feelings this early in the season but gut would say there are better bets around than Celtics -5.5. Older team on the second night of a back-to-back, laying 5.5 on the road. Usually around 4 points for home advantage, and 2 for playing the 2nd night of a back-to-back. So that's saying the Celtics are 11.5 points better than the Wizards. Do we know the Wizards are that bad? (I know Wall is out)

Looking around, prefer something like Nets -5.5 at home to the Raptors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Who do ye fancy to win each division? Looking at the odds for the Knicks to win Atlantic and Clippers to win Pacific, i'm mildly tempted by both...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

anyone fancy minnesotta to take denver tonight (20/33), might put a few bob on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Had a punt on the lakers tonight. Could just be a false dawn, but there at home so fingers crosses! Feel Howard has a big game in him.

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote: »
    Had a punt on the lakers tonight. Could just be a false dawn, but there at home so fingers crosses! Feel Howard has a big game in him.

Thought they might be overhyped after beating OKC, but -7.5 looks a decent price at home.

padraig_f wrote: »

Thought they might be overhyped after beating OKC, but -7.5 looks a decent price at home.
    I think they may be too. I just think they take the hornets... Howard dominates Lopez, and they will rely on a big game from Gordon who is shooting poorly and Anderson( who admittedly has been dead eye recently), but I like Clark on him. I could be all wrong ...

I Have an accumulator on OKC and the Knicks for tonight. I'm not actually confident about this, OKC will cover I'm almost sure but my Knicks are due a loss... But hey I've gone for it, so I think we can get it done, we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Thinking of going with Knicks,Spurs and Thunder on the handicap..feedback?

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Thinking of going with Knicks,Spurs and Thunder on the handicap..feedback?

I looked at this, and felt that one of the was going to fail me. In the end I went with OKC and Knicks, but could of just as easily went for OKC and Spurs. My feeling was Wall is a good match up for Parker, Nene for Duncan and Beal has been playing well and Ginobili is out . Go with your gut though man, you'll curse me if I talk you out of it. The Wizards have been great against the spread this year though...

Anyone betting tonight?

Anyone betting tonight?

Got burned Saturday, so I'm staying away. OKC at -8.5 looks appealing though, they always seem to respond well to a bad loss. :rolleyes:

Got burned Saturday, so I'm staying away. OKC at -8.5 looks appealing though, they always seem to respond well to a bad loss. :rolleyes:

What are your thoughts on Jazz to win and then Heat and Knicks on the handicap? :p

What are your thoughts on Jazz to win and then Heat and Knicks on the handicap? :p

I definitely like the Jazz to cover, they have been great at home most of the season. The Knicks are rolling going for 5 in a row and in MSG, I think they should take the Pistons, the question is, will they win by 11 though? Anthony is due a big game, (9 points last night, 20 the game before), and Stoudemire is playing out of his mind so yeah, I'd go for it. As regard to Miami, the Bobcats are on a 3 game slide, and all 3 have been blowouts. MKG is out with concussion, and Miami will want (and expect) to start off their home stand with a win. My one fear though is that Miami might look past the Bobcats, but look man go with whatever you think yourself.

Just getting back into this, so don't put any stock in my picks, but going with the Nets -4 tonight against the Lakers. Howard out injured and World Peace suspended for fighting :)

• Advertisement

In hindsight, maybe it was a bad idea to bet on a team without a proper coach. They looked like it too, pretty shambolic performance. After watching the game, I'd look to fade the Nets from this point on. I think they probably got a temporary fillip after Avery Johnson leaving, but looking at the way they played last night, I can see things unravelling. Decent amount of talent, but they don't look like a cohesive team.

No lines out for Thursday's games. I think it's good practice to make your own lines in advance of the betting lines coming out, so I'll try that. Dwight Howard and Joakim Noah are both questionable, so I'll make two lines, with and without.

Nuggets vs. Bulls
    Nuggets -7.5 (Noah plays)
    Nuggets -9.5 (Noah doesn't play)

Celtics vs. Lakers
    Pick (Howard plays)
    Celtics -2.5 (Howard doesn't play)

These are what I think the lines should be, rather than trying to predict them. The Nuggets are 21-3 at home, so I give them an extra point or two above normal for home advantage.

Celtics-Lakers is an interesting handicap with their various injury problems, I'm less sure about that line.

I've been crap lately but tonight I liked some of the lines so I have a three game spread. I have the Clippers at -4.5 against Philly, Boston -3.5 against the Bobcats and Brooklyn at +9.5 against Indiana. Some weird lines, obviously bookies reckon the triple over time for Boston will keep the game close. The Clippers are up and down lately, but with CP3 back 3 games now I feel they are a team that can be backed again. I don't see the Nets beating the Pacers, but think/hope it will be closer than 10 points. Accumalaters are dodgy at the best of times, but I just thought the lines were weird, who knows...

Bulls are a best priced -2 and widely available -3 at home to a Spurs team without their big 3 (Duncan, Parker and Manu). Worth a punt anyway.

Good night for me last night, had the Hawks at -3.5 and the Knicks at -2 for the end of the 1st quarter. The knicks actually went on to lose so I got a bit fortunate there. Won't complain

Anyone betting on tonight's games?

Thunder -5.5 vs. Heat
    Lakers +3 vs. Clippers

I'm kind of on the fence, which probably means I shouldn't bet. Thunder vs. Heat is an interesting handicap, because of the matchup, specifically with the two best players guarding each other. And motivation, which is always a question for regular season games. The Heat haven't really looked motivated for much of the regular season, but could get up for this. And you've got the playoff revenge motivation for the Thunder (but I think they're always fairly well motivated). Hard to say how it will go.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Anyone betting on tonight's games?

Thunder -5.5 vs. Heat
    Lakers +3 vs. Clippers

I'm kind of on the fence, which probably means I shouldn't bet. Thunder vs. Heat is an interesting handicap, because of the matchup, specifically with the two best players guarding each other. And motivation, which is always a question for regular season games. The Heat haven't really looked motivated for much of the regular season, but could get up for this. And you've got the playoff revenge motivation for the Thunder (but I think they're always fairly well motivated). Hard to say how it will go.

I'm not betting tonight, but I'd stay away from putting money on the Lakers, Clippers have really impressed me the last few games, I have a sneaky suspicion they could blow the Lakers out.

I'm not betting tonight, but I'd stay away from putting money on the Lakers, Clippers have really impressed me the last few games, I have a sneaky suspicion they could blow the Lakers out.

Yeah the line is teasing you to take the Lakers, but I'm so down on them since Gasol went out, I can't do it, so I'll pass on this one.

After thinking about the other game some more, I decided to go with the Thunder -5.5. The motivation is clearly with them, they'll be very strongly motivated to prove they can beat the Heat, and I think it would be pretty devastating to them to lose on their home court. I can't see Heat motivation being much better than normal (which is to say not that high). They play a lot of marquee games, and having beat the Thunder in the Finals last year, they have less to prove.

Matchup-wise you have to favour the Heat as they've now won 5 straight against the Thunder, going back to last year's Finals. So that was what I was weighing up. But where there's a difference in motivation, I think motivation trumps matchups, because you need to have energy first and foremost. Playoffs would be a different story, but given the circumstance, I think the Thunder's energy and motivation to win this game will be the deciding factor.

I've had a change of heart and put money on Miami at +6, Lebron has been too good recently, and I like Miami to keep this close, even if the Thunder win

• Advertisement

Put bets on Steve Novak and Matt Bonner for the 3-point shooting contest.

Odds:
    Stephen Curry 3.00
    Steve Novak 3.84
    Ryan Anderson 5.16
    Kyrie Irving 6.58
    Matt Bonner 6.78
    Paul George 10.79

Edit:
    Gone with Jeff Teague and Brandon Knight for the skills challenge. Didn't put a whole lot of thought into that one, except that I think it's kind of a crapshoot, and they're both over 5/1 with 6 players in the competition.

Advertisement