Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My home at night is becoming increasingly noisy!

Options
  • 02-11-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago I went in for surgery, and basically ever since I came home, I have MASSIVE issues trying to fall/stay asleep. My house is so noisy. I'm a light sleeper, I have 3 kids so I'm used to keeping an ear out for them.
    We live out in the country, on a quiet enough road. a bungalow. NO neighbours.

Now just to be crystal clear on my b/ground. I grew up in a house that was built in 1890, and it was walking each and every night. Our home was not the happiest of places, and it didn't help the situation I feel. If anything it made it a whole lot worse. Everything from hearing the carriage pass up around the house, the latch of the old half door going 19 to the dozen, hearing footsteps around the house. It was a cottage, with an extension of a kitchen and loo. So if in the middle of the night you needed to go, then off down stairs, through the kitchen to the loo (we held it most nights)and that blasted rocking chair in the living room, terrifying. also my great grandmother was into the piseogs, and she used to live there ...back in the day. As a family we were well used to hearing the banshee, getting the 3 knocks on the door/window, and the latch of the door being lifted. I heard it myself numerous times, so I know it definitely did happen.

It got to the point my mother had to have a few masses said in the house to calm it down (a bit) I am a strong believer though, that if there is alot of arguments, & heartache in a house that it just soaks into the walls.

Anyway when my husbands grandmother died about 12 years a ago, i heard the banshee (not a cat/fox, remember I'm from the country so can most definitely tell the difference), and their house/pet dog howled the whole week before she passed on.

Well, well, well....over the last few weeks my house is just alive! I'm in my 30's and have had to sleep with the side light on! cos i'm afraid, but i don't know what of! (sad isn't it) I understand a house cooling down at night, and moisture levels and all that. most of these (annoying )ticks and bangs and nudges are our bedroom, & the bathroom. Well, now his other gran is in hospital and not doing well at all, so i'm wondering are these connected, like a pre warning. I'm used to getting pre warnings even when they are from his side of the family, I'd just love to be abe to sleep like... 7.5mg sleeping tablets given to me when I left the hospital didn't knock me out.

Does anyone else have ay experience of their house becoming more...loud, before the passing of a family member?

Thanks for reading. :-)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

I'm not being smart..but is this for real?

No offence, it's a genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

The noises of the carriages and chains and the rocking chair. Are you saying that these were previously common enough unexplained yet audible noises to yourself and other family members ?

Is there any connection to the type of surgery you had and your insomnia?

I'm not sure I see the exact relevance of your description of previous goings on and your question about noisy occurrences prior to a death.

Could you expand a bit more?

I hope you are recovering well post surgery and that your gran makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Yes very genuine. My sister & myself have always been very sensitive to 'odd goings on'. So describing what we (all) used to hear in the house we grew up in is very real. Like I said because my great grandmother was into the Piseogs, I think that might have had something to do with it. We grew up with it on a daily/nightly basis, so it's nothing extraordinary or mind blowing about it.

running parallel to our cottage was the main entrance to the large georgian house up the fields behind our house. We often wondered was the carriage on it's way up there maybe? We heard it about 4/5 times. ALL of us heard it. It was my sister that saw the rocking chair in the living room one night. Seeing shadows all over the house.

We were living this long before the likes of 'Most Haunted' & paranormal investigations. It was second nature. No big deal. But we always got the knock before someone passed on. Or 'herself' wailing away for about 2-3 mins.

It's just I'm experiencing the weird noises now in my own home, and it just reminded me of days of old. the surgery I had was having my gallbladder removed (nothing odd about that). Last night was alot quiter then previous nights though, I don't know why.

The noises of the carriages and chains and the rocking chair. Are you saying that these were previously common enough unexplained yet audible noises to yourself and other family members ?

Is there any connection to the type of surgery you had and your insomnia?

I'm not sure I see the exact relevance of your description of previous goings on and your question about noisy occurrences prior to a death.

Could you expand a bit more?

I hope you are recovering well post surgery and that your gran makes a full recovery.
    Emm, never heard chains. To answer your question, , 100% yes, totally audible to me and the rest of the family. My mother used to say that it was 'them gone before us' wanted a prayer from us. So she'd have a mass said for them, or have a mass in the house. Things would calm down for a while then. The 'relevance' is that, i would be used to hearing strange things, I don't need anyone to confirm or argue that point with me. We heard, what we heard. We experienced what we experienced. It was second nature. Maybe some familys are Open to it then others. So hearing strange things doesn't frighten me, as I'm used to them. I was just wondering if anyone else out there, ever experienced strange goings on, in their home, before the passing of a loved one.

Maybe I should have never mentioned what happened in the family home, I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable. Thank you for the best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

A few weeks ago I went in for surgery, and basically ever since I came home, I have MASSIVE issues trying to fall/stay asleep.

Well, well, well....over the last few weeks my house is just alive! I'm in my 30's and have had to sleep with the side light on! cos i'm afraid, but i don't know what of! (sad isn't it)

It would be normal after surgery to be feeling a little uneasy and more alert while you heal.

In saying that most of my experiences have happened when emotions are high, it seems to be common, as with poltergeists and teenage girls (probably the time when emotions are at their highest :p ).
    You say that things in your house are not great at the moment, combine that with the stress of an ill relative and your own illness it would make sense that things are not feeling right.

I wouldn't worry yourself about the noises too much, even if it is a pre warning there isn't really anything you can do about it, so you would be best to focus on getting well and reducing stress, that might help with the sleep. Do you think that interpreting these experiences as a warning is a way for you to feel a little more in control/ mastery over a situation that you don't have control over (relatives health & your own health)???

I'm not dismissing your experiences just trying to put it all in perspective. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Anyone else tired of these type of questions being the first things asked in a well constructed thread?

Honestly, If you have to ask a question like that, why on earth are you bothering to read the topics in this forum at all? I genuinely don't get it.

I can be as skeptical as the next person but that is just taking the micky.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone else tired of these type of questions being the first things asked in a well constructed thread?

Honestly, If you have to ask a question like that, why on earth are you bothering to read the topics in this forum at all? I genuinely don't get it.

Please report posts instead of taking a thread even further off topic. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭A fella called fish

Apologies. It's a fascinating forum and a fascinating thread. I've just never heard the scream of an actual banshee or three knocks on the door - so I have to ask the question naturally.

But it is a fascinating read, and as I said, didn't mean to cause offence, so back on topic..

Thanks for that and thanks for posting.

I was ipadding when replying so I didnt have your op in front of me which is why my fatigued brain included "chains". Mind plays tricks eh!:o.

Your post is obviously genuine but to be honest I always read any such post with an smidgin of sceptism until a few apsects are confirmed.

It does seem that quite a few threads on paranormal end up with bickering and I'm not intendin to take sides ( and I hope the mods will allow my opinion on this one) but I felt that A Fella Called Fish's question was a fair one.

Anyways, a very interesting post, so thanks for that....I would be keen to hear how you get on with both current happenings and your previous experiences.

Best wishes and good health to one and all.:)

Emm, never heard chains. To answer your question, , 100% yes, totally audible to me and the rest of the family. My mother used to say that it was 'them gone before us' wanted a prayer from us. So she'd have a mass said for them, or have a mass in the house. Things would calm down for a while then. The 'relevance' is that, i would be used to hearing strange things, I don't need anyone to confirm or argue that point with me. We heard, what we heard. We experienced what we experienced. It was second nature. Maybe some familys are Open to it then others. So hearing strange things doesn't frighten me, as I'm used to them. I was just wondering if anyone else out there, ever experienced strange goings on, in their home, before the passing of a loved one.

Maybe I should have never mentioned what happened in the family home, I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable. Thank you for the best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hey OP,

The house you grew up in sounds mad - a very interesting story all on its own. As far as your current situation goes, there are a lot of variables going on that could influence your experiences with feelings and even noises.

It takes the body months to recover from surgery and one is not entirely 'right' for ages. On top of that, pain relievers or sleeping medication add a further dynamic.

If those pills don't help you sleep (do you mean 750mg?) then they are bound to make you a bit disoriented - at least in my experience if sleeping pills don't help to induce sleep they make you feel a little 'trippy'.

Just saying that an operation and medication can have a profound impact on your physiology and perception. I don't doubt you are sensitive anyway though judging by your childhood experiences with the paranormal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

get a medium or pyscic to stay with you for a night and access the place,you might be open to this yourself and have these powers since you have expierienced noises etc from childhood.
    best of luck with it and your health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I don't want to take away from your experiences at all, but recently I had really bizarre noises around the house.I believe in the paranormal but I feel about 80% of events can be logically explained with abit of investigation.Case in point about the recent weird noises;every now and then I kept hearing either voices or music around the house when there were no electrical appliances on. One day it got quiet loud and thought it was coming from the attic. Sure enough when I went up there could hear it clear as day.I tried to pin point it as I believed that maybe it was an old radio that was switching its self on and off.After looking around thoroughly ,found nothing and the noise continued.It seemed to be coming from every where and then it was gone. After a bit of research and emailing a few lads I know in the field, I was told that sometimes the pipes in your house can pick up radio signals and broadcast them. Sure enough after I discovered this the next time I heard the noise I could make it out fairly clearly that it was infact the local radio station. I've also discovered that the houses acoustics have a weird way of throwing noises around certain rooms. In the sitting room I sit near the window, a few times I was convinced I heard cars pulling up right out side the house with out hearing them approach(live in cottage in country on a quiet road, so can usually hear cars on the road coming a few miles off). Turns out that the sound of the fire was being slung around the room and bouncing off the windows causing a similar sound so my mind automatically jumped to thinking it was a car.
    I'm not saying that what is happening in your house isn't paranormal ,just saying that its worth exploring various options, especially in an old country home. You'd be very surprised the sounds that you can easily mistake for other noises when you don't know the source.Saying that though, I've also experienced a fair few events that I couldn't explain so when I ran out of all other routes,I went down the paranormal raod.
    Hope ya get some explanation for the noises and I hope you figure out a way to live with it so it doesn't impact on your sleep.Nothing worse that trying to look after a family on a few hours sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sarah Shagal

Hi OP
    fascinating story, why are you afraid now?
    I hear noises at night but nothing that scares me, I know its the house creaking.

I would be ok in my own house but if I heard noises in someone Else's house I would be spooked.
    My sister hears things before a death and sees a light, she has heard the footsteps also.

I have heard lots of people saying they heard the banshee.

Taking a lead from Meatwad's post, I was pretty amazed by the shape of sound in this video.

It never occurred to me that the oscillation of sound (or whatever the correct term is) could have so many different complex shapes.

And I thought it was just air hitting my ear drums. Its this sorta thing that makes me aware that a lot of simple assumptions we make, are in reality a lot more complex.

For example, can sounds change our vision, our thoughts or perceptions? Or make particles of matter form into orbs, or set light to gasses in the air, or cause images from one place to be transferred to another and then by chance, be caught on camera?

So you're sitting by a river, the babbling brook resonates at such a frequency that it arranges an unseen massive number of pollen into a shape that looks totally paranormal, moves for a bit and then disappears.

Maybe the central heating system is getting to me, eh:D

http://youtu.be/DGSU5rcHmRQ

And an interesting site and read:

http://www.assap.ac.uk/newsite/articles/Haunting%20sounds.html

Rasmus wrote: »
    Hey OP,

The house you grew up in sounds mad - a very interesting story all on its own. As far as your current situation goes, there are a lot of variables going on that could influence your experiences with feelings and even noises.

It takes the body months to recover from surgery and one is not entirely 'right' for ages. On top of that, pain relievers or sleeping medication add a further dynamic.

If those pills don't help you sleep (do you mean 750mg?) then they are bound to make you a bit disoriented - at least in my experience if sleeping pills don't help to induce sleep they make you feel a little 'trippy'.

Just saying that an operation and medication can have a profound impact on your physiology and perception. I don't doubt you are sensitive anyway though judging by your childhood experiences with the paranormal!
    They gave me sleeping tablets for 5 days they didn't work at all. They were 7.5mg. Mind you, I'm out of surgery about 2 1/2 weeks. My husbands grandmother is still very ill, and has been told that home is the place for her to be, that basically there is nothing they can do for her. It's a matter of time I suppose.
    I'm off all pain medication too btw :-)

Advertisement