Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC dropping

• 03-11-2012 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering my UPC internet keeps dropping at least 1-2 times every hour. It's never happened before and none of the settings have been changed. It's as if the router keeps restarting itself. Anyone having similiar issues because I'm trying to work out if it's my end or UPC's. I'm in the malahide/portmarnock area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 N1cola

Hi Jhax, I had the same problem with mine and I only had it for about 2 weeks at the time. I gave them a rang and they said the problem is caused by the router trying to find the best possible connection for you so it jumps from connection to connection and this is when you experience the drop in your own internet. If you just give them a call they'll fix you to the best possible connection so it doesnt jump any more. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Jhax wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering my UPC internet keeps dropping at least 1-2 times every hour. It's never happened before and none of the settings have been changed. It's as if the router keeps restarting itself. Anyone having similiar issues because I'm trying to work out if it's my end or UPC's. I'm in the malahide/portmarnock area.

I've the exact same problem, I'm in swords so just wondering if it's a problem in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Have been having the same issue since last night and it's been fine for over 2 months up to now... May call them Monday if it's still acting up... It's MMO hell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I had the same problem since last night. Called them this morning. they did some tests and said modem problem. Engineer call out on Tuesday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I'm in swords, exactly the same problem for 24 hours now. Every 30 minutes exactly the wireless connection drops.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm in D7, for what it's worth, and it's not just the wireless - one computer is connected with an ethernet cable and it's happening with that too... but i didn't think it would be the modem itself as its not that old...
    Tho i'm not a fan of upc engineers... Last time I told them the wifi was going very slow, but the ethernet connection was fine... so i suspected the modem... they changed the connection on the wall and left - very same as before they came - so i just bought a wireless router to add onto the epc3925 and its been fine since... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Same problem in Galway. Goes down and then about 5min later it works again. Only noticed it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Well it's not the UPC connection I don't think, for me the router just keeps going through the reset phase which is indicated by the flashing lights. They are sending out an engineer to me too but I feel like this is something that they could have walked me through over the phone, doesn't seem like a big fix just a setting on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Same for me in the Cabra area modem will drop the connection exactly every 30min and only thing they seem to be able to do is send out an engineer so lets see where this goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Speeds dropped yesterday to 3/4mbps from a consistant 28/30 mbps, on both wireless and wired connections. Thought it might be router so did all the usual and its up to 16mbps on a 25ms ping. I'm nearly sure the higher (speeds i pay for and want) speeds were from a 15ms ping. Any ideas anybody?

• Advertisement

After more research, the ethernet connection is dropping every 30 mins - the wireless is much more frequent... if it's happening to more than just me, seems weird that the modem would be responsible - i'd say it's more likely something on upc's end... but i'll give them a call in the morning if it's still happening... I find call centres a lot more helpful during normal working hours than weekends... namely cos they're more likely to have info... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

Same happening in Lucan constantly. Internet doesn't reach some rooms either which is unusal as we can pick up our neighbours across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Royalblue

I am in Dunboyne and the same thing has been happening for the last couple of days. Has gone down numerous times for short periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Im in Swords too, having this problem, rendering playing games impossible. Disconnects every 30 minutes, almost to the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

It's down to your lease time. I was also having these issues, with the rubbish modem they supplied, but updated the lease time in the router settings and all is well, and it drops no more.

Log in (details all over the forum) and change your leasetime to -1 or 99999999999999 or something. If you want a fix, go with this. If you want to know what this does, search or Google it.

HTH

It's down to your lease time. I was also having these issues, with the rubbish modem they supplied, but updated the lease time in the router settings and all is well, and it drops no more.

Log in (details all over the forum) and change your leasetime to -1 or 99999999999999 or something. If you want a fix, go with this. If you want to know what this does, search or Google it.

HTH
    Its not Lease time, my lease time is set to an hour, and I'm disconnecting every 30 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Set it far, far longer than an hour and report back.

Cant change it, but regardless, its not lease time, the whole router reboots when it disconnects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Jhax

Mine seems to have stopped, and there is an engineer coming tomorrow. I bet they will come, tell me that everything seems to be working fine, and then when they leave it will start acting out again :(. Oh well I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Meesared wrote: »
    Its not Lease time, my lease time is set to an hour, and I'm disconnecting every 30 mins

Even if its not lease time, you should have it set to longer than an hour. You said you can't play games at the moment, with a 1 hour lease time you'll be d'cd every hour and drop out of whatever you're playing.

You say you can't change it, why not?.

• Advertisement

It changes back to an hour, and I had no issues before this with a lease time of an hour was very rarely getting disconnected, so its not lease time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

try disabling the routers SPI setting, your OS firewall should be adequate enough. Unfortunately the routers SPI can force wifi drop of consistently i had the same issues and made the change.

Either that or bridge it and use another Wifi router with the cisco in bridge. I think the Cisco has quite a small NAT table. Flaw in its WIFI design quite poor with multiple wifi connections or torrent streaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

listermint wrote: »
    use another Wifi router with the cisco in bridge.

+1 on that. I connected mine with an rj-45 to an n router and just connect the pc to that wireless signal. I shouldnt have had to do that though if upc had given me a decent router in the first place.

try disabling the routers SPI setting, your OS firewall should be adequate enough. Unfortunately the routers SPI can force wifi drop of consistently i had the same issues and made the change.

Either that or bridge it and use another Wifi router with the cisco in bridge. I think the Cisco has quite a small NAT table. Flaw in its WIFI design quite poor with multiple wifi connections or torrent streaming.
    Its disconnecting both wireless and wired :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its disconnecting both wireless and wired :(

Turn off SPI. see if it makes a difference

Turn off SPI. see if it makes a difference
    I'll have a go

Got a call from an engineer today and he told me that it was an issue with the lines, causing the modems to reset every 20-30 minutes, and its been fixed, I haven't had an issue for the last day or so so seems like its the case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Got a call from an engineer today and he told me that it was an issue with the lines, causing the modems to reset every 20-30 minutes, and its been fixed, I haven't had an issue for the last day or so so seems like its the case!

Had it dropping a few times each day last week.
    Havent noticed any problem since the weekend so i think they indeed fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

My connection started dropping yesterday morning at around 11 and is still doing so now. Internet is slow as hell, too, and posting this is a right pain in the backside. Some channels on the TV are pixelated as well and I can't use the phone either.

I hope this gets sorted out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ger101 wrote: »
    My connection started dropping yesterday morning at around 11 and is still doing so now. Internet is slow as hell, too, and posting this is a right pain in the backside. Some channels on the TV are pixelated as well and I can't use the phone either.

I hope this gets sorted out soon.

Have you rang UPC?.

Advertisement