Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC dropping

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

My UPC broadband and phone currently down in D15 (Littlepace). Hopefully they are working on the network and it'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ger101

Well it seems my 'net connection, TV and phone are all back on now.
    ArthurG wrote: »
    Have you rang UPC?.
    I couldn't use my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

ger101 wrote: »
    Well it seems my 'net connection, TV and phone are all back on now.

I couldn't use my phone.

If only there was some way to make a call without a wired phone.......

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

The UPC phone and broadband service is appalling. Had eircom for 8 years with zero problems during that time. Changed to UPC and the broadband crashed after one week. Their customer service simply don't want to know. My advice, stay well away from UPC for the sake of your own sanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

sparky28 wrote: »
    The UPC phone and broadband service is appalling. Had eircom for 8 years with zero problems during that time. Changed to UPC and the broadband crashed after one week. Their customer service simply don't want to know. My advice, stay well away from UPC for the sake of your own sanity.

Although they had this problem I've found UPC to be above and beyond the service Eircom offer. I signed my dad up to UPC and for some reason he decided he wanted to go back to Eircom. The day UPC was removed and Eircom was setup he rang me to say the internet was crazy slow. Called over and explained to him that he was on a 25mb connection with UPC (and got the full 25mb) and that eircoms 8mb is only 'upto' 8mb.. Did a speedtest and he was only getting 2mb, rang eircom and they said it was the max the line could take.. My dad cancelled the connection straight away (less than 24hrs after getting it) and had UPC back out a few days later to reconnect the line...

I couldn't go back to Eircom, sure last time we moved house first question I asked was if UPC was available in the area... If I'm paying for something I want to get what I'm paying for, not something that's nearly what I'm paying for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Been with UPC for ages now with no issues bar one period of downtime about 2 years ago, for which i was credited with a months rental. However based on this one random report I'm seriously considering going back to a more expensive, slower option from eircom. Thanks for the heads up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sparky28

ArthurG wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering going back to a more expensive, slower option from eircom. Thanks for the heads up!!

As I said, I had an Eircom supply for a number of years which never once failed. I changed over to UPC and it worked fine for a while (although never reaches 25mb as they would like you to believe) and then started to fail and crash on a regular basis. Their customer service (when you eventually get through) offered very little in response other than "we will send someone out when we can". Eircom may be a slower speed (its a constant 6-7mb) but its fine for most online applications. I'd much rather have 6-7mb consistently when compared to 25mb of a poor and intermittent service. And by the way, it's cheaper than UPC for phone and broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meesared wrote: »
    Got a call from an engineer today and he told me that it was an issue with the lines, causing the modems to reset every 20-30 minutes, and its been fixed, I haven't had an issue for the last day or so so seems like its the case!

This is not the case unless you see the lights changing on the modem? If you have 4 solids lights all the time, the issue is internal to your home i.e. a wireless issue on the router. As was my case, i added an access point to my router and use that for wireless. Issues solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

As I said, I had an Eircom supply for a number of years which never once failed. I changed over to UPC and it worked fine for a while (although never reaches 25mb as they would like you to believe) and then started to fail and crash on a regular basis. Their customer service (when you eventually get through) offered very little in response other than "we will send someone out when we can". Eircom may be a slower speed (its a constant 6-7mb) but its fine for most online applications. I'd much rather have 6-7mb consistently when compared to 25mb of a poor and intermittent service. And by the way, it's cheaper than UPC for phone and broadband.

Dunno my eircom line was always poor and they were useless about fixing it. In fact they couldn't give me any solutions to fix the problems. Someone else in the family has constant trouble with their eircom line and they seem unable to resolve it too. Not that UPC are perfect for me either. But they have eventually fixed any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

listermint wrote: »
    This is not the case unless you see the lights changing on the modem? If you have 4 solids lights all the time, the issue is internal to your home i.e. a wireless issue on the router. As was my case, i added an access point to my router and use that for wireless. Issues solved.
    Thus why said "that caused the modems to reset"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Meesared wrote: »
    Thus why said "that caused the modems to reset"....

Sorry i dont understand?

If there was a line fault and the modem reset, would one not see the lights change across the front?

Is the problem here not that the modem has perfect connection but Wireless goes funny sometimes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

listermint wrote: »
    Sorry i dont understand?

If there was a line fault and the modem reset, would one not see the lights change across the front?

Is the problem here not that the modem has perfect connection but Wireless goes funny sometimes ?

Nope, said multiple times that it was affecting wired and wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

guys my modem keeps dropping in and out i have to power down the thing and power it back up just to get it working again. UPC have been out 3 times changed the modem to the new cisco router (i had the old cico with the mini aerial) the changed the wire and eveything

ANY IDEAS??

ALSO the customer service sucks!!!

Advertisement