Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when age should i get my setter/lab neutered

• 03-11-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hes nearly 5 mths now.humping his bed when he comes in.been told 6 mths and wait til he lifts his leg to pee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Talk to your vet, some will wait until 6 months, others will do earlier, it really depends on the weight of the animal how well they will cope with anaesthetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Was told 6-8mnths with my lab

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Talk very, very carefully with your vet about this OP, make sure they're up to date with their CPD on neutering-related health issues. There is mounting evidence that large breed dogs are at greater risk of joint problems and/or various cancers if neutered before they're a year old. If he were mine, I'd be waiting until he's at least a year old, let the joints and bones develop.
    Humnping is a normal and natural behaviour for a youngster: if you don't like what he's doing, divert him with something far more interesting when you see him about to start. He should eventually grow out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I wouldn't neuter him at all if you didn't have to, but if you must I'd wait until he was fully mature, around eighteen months to a year. As DBB says, there's growing evidence that this benefits male growth development.

Advertisement