Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel File - Monthly Finances

Options
  • 03-11-2012 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey,

Not sure if this would be handy to anyone else but I have an excel file that I use (and update) each year to help keep my finances on track.

As a new year is getting close I have next years ready.

It looks as follows:

FinanceExcelPreview.png

The main functions:
    • Cells for monthly wages, bonus, interest and other misc income
    • Cells for total expenses, expenses to date, expenses due
    • Automated account balance from previous month - For Jan you would need to enter your current balance as a starting point
    • Allows you to have 9 tags to track the amount and % spent on each tag each month
      E.g Food, take-aways, books, games, social, medical, cash etc - Tags can be edited in the CP tab
    • Breaks down paid transactions, pending transactions and the total of all transactions
      Green boxes = paid transactions
      Blue boxes = pending transactions
      Red boxes = total of all transactions
      Grey boxes = highlights any differentiation/errors (this should always unless the sheet breaks be 0)

The file:
    I've zipped the file and it can be found via the link below. :)
    Feedback welcomed. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I like it, I fed in a month's details and was surprised at the graphic.
    I had to increase space for household expenditure drastically.

But over all very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lexii

When I first started making my own tracker I was always surprised where my money was going. Sometimes it's so easy to not quite realize how much you're spending on certain things and then you have a jaw hits the floor moment!

Glad you like it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Fair play to you putting this up here for people to use. Looking forward to having a look at it, there's a mate of mine that would love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Thanks

The excel sheet is great, I was online looking for the best software for tracking my finances and searching through the threads on boards looking for advice when I read your post and downloaded your excel sheet, many thanks for sharing this, look forward to trying it out in January

Happy New year

Working on a new format for 2014 that will enable budgeting vs. actual comparison. I'll update the thread once I've finished the first draft :).

Progress so far on the Budget Sheet Tab.
    BudgetTracking2014.png

KEY - (?) would like to include

Completed:
    • Budget sheet month select (select the starting month & all subsequent months will update as needed - enables budgeting to begin from any month)

Things to complete:
    • Budget Sheet Tab calcs
    — Sum totals by category; budget, actual, summary (diference between budget & actual)
    — — Actuals are taken from the relevant month's transaction tab if marked as 'Paid'
    — Total expenditure by month
    — Total not budget by month (where there are actuals for category but zero expense had been budgeted for)
    — Total overspent by month (where the total budgeted expense for the month has been exceeded)
    — Conditional formatting for positive & negative figures

• Transaction tabs for each month
    — Data placement for Income; wages, bonus, interest, total & Expenses; to date, due, total, budget summary (?)
    — Current balance

• Dashboard/Help tab (?)

• Savings Goal tab (?)

• Formatting for £ $ €

Stretch:
    • Multiple a/c handling

• Advertisement

I had actually forgotten all about this thread. I had scrapped the above version & created something different for tracking a monthly budget.

URL: zumii.co.uk/Docs/BudgetFiles/BudgetCalcsBlank.rar

Sorry I can't link correctly, it seems the URL/new user/post limit etc has altered since I was last here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Just have to say a big thanks for your original spreadsheet, it's been a godsend while we're saving for a house (and an eye-opener!)

Advertisement