Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Question :/

Options
  • 03-11-2012 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Right so I wanted to post a letter to my insurance company today, there's a post box at the end of my estate so out I hop of my car with the letter, I walk to the front of the box, No hole to put letter, so I go the other side, no hole?? So in broad daylight I'm standing at this green post box lookalike thingy, same green color as An Post, its just a box on a pole, now when driving afterwards this evening their actually at most estate entrances... Wat the heck are they?

Scarlet for me anyway looked like a right dope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Right so I wanted to post a letter to my insurance company today, there's a post box at the end of my estate so out I hop of my car with the letter, I walk to the front of the box, No hole to put letter, so I go the other side, no hole?? So in broad daylight I'm standing at this green post box lookalike thingy, same green color as An Post, its just a box on a pole, now when driving afterwards this evening their actually at most estate entrances... Wat the heck are they?

Scarlet for me anyway looked like a right dope

I think they are used by An Post to drop the sorted post by van for each estate. The postman comes along thereafter and opens it and does the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yup - to improve efficiency and with health and safety legislation the postman refills his bag for further deliveries from those boxes.

Some ordinary post boxes will be sealed when then are no longer used. I'm not sure what the criterion is now but at one time they had to have at least 4 letters per week to remain "active". Otherwise they are sealed up.

Advertisement