Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a difference between white bread and whole wheat?

• 03-11-2012 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

For that matter is there a difference between white bread, pasta and rice; and that of there brown cousins.
    Yes some variations have slightly more complex carbs(compared to simple carbs), protein and fat; but from my findings its not "that much more" of a difference. Yet time and time again, I hear and see articles that there is a "fairly big difference" between the white and brown varieties.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

beanobee wrote: »
    For that matter is there a difference between white bread, pasta and rice; and that of there brown cousins.
    Yes some variations have slightly more complex carbs(compared to simple carbs), protein and fat; but from my findings its not "that much more" of a difference. Yet time and time again, I hear and see articles that there is a "fairly big difference" between the white and brown varieties.

Yep. Mad difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Yep. Mad difference.

Hmm I'm not so sure.

I think they are both equally as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Hmm I'm not so sure.

Agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The calorie difference is neglible.

At this stage I eat brown pasta and brown bread because I think its nicer and I find it more filling than the white, refined varieties. Its like sugar in your tea; once you get used to tea without sugar you won't be able to tolerate sugar in your tea ever again, it'll taste disgusting.

Brown pasta has slightly more fibre and personally I find it lasts longer than white pasta, which tends to fill you up quite quickly only to leave you hungry an hour later. Though that could just be psychological.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beanobee

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Yep. Mad difference.

So whats the difference?

• Advertisement

Hmm I'm not so sure.

Bad in what way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Bad in what way?

Nutrients like wheat germ and fibre.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They both turn into sugar in the end, just brown takes longer to get there than white.

To your blood stream they're just like jelly babies, just not as tasty.

There are better ways to get fibre into you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

even if you believe there is a significant difference you have to be careful about what they really are.

e.g. brennans "wholegrain", the main ingredient appears to be regular white flour
    Ingredients
    Wheat Flour, Water,Wholemeal Flour,Cracked Wheat, Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Oil, Soya Flour, Emulsifier E472e, Flour Treatment Agent: Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C).
    http://www.brennansbread.ie/products/brennans-wholegrain/

While their wholemeal states 100% wholemeal flour.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Nutrients like wheat germ and fibre.

I actually think wheat and fibre are important nutrients in my diet.
    Fibre for improving muscle tissue responsiveness to growth (vital for me personally because I exercise a lot); and fibre also acts as a natural bowl cleaner.
    And wheat is high in protein and carbs (complex); also very vital for me to grow lean muscle. Wheat has been eaten as a staple food since like ... the beginning of the human race! So since it has served us humans generously for... a long time; I think I will show it a bit more support than some of the "gurus" and "fad/hip diets" do.
    As for germ - I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Fibre for improving muscle tissue responsiveness to growth
    Wait wait wait... Care to elaborate on that?

I think I will show it a bit more support than some of the "gurus" and "fad/hip diets" do
    So, avoiding processed food eating fresh whole fruit/veg/meat is a fad/hip diet? Does that make me a hipster?

They both turn into sugar in the end, just brown takes longer to get there than white.

To your blood stream they're just like jelly babies, just not as tasty.

There are better ways to get fibre into you.

Jelly babies are comprised of sugar in the form of Simple Carbohydrates; and bread, rice, and pasta are comprised of Complex Carbohydrates. The Complex Carbohydrates act as the MAIN fuel for my body to consume; this is to keep my body from turning to my muscle structure and getting it's energy/fuel from there. It is important for me to gain as much lean muscle as possible; as this is the best way to increase my metabolism and burn excess fat. This is all relevant if someone does some form of exercise or an activity (watching tv and "jamming station" aside). :)

Wait wait wait... Care to elaborate on that?

So, avoiding processed food eating fresh whole fruit/veg/meat is a fad/hip diet? Does that make me a hipster?

Avoiding CARBS is fad/hip dieting.

Hey guys and girls the question was:
    Is there a difference between white bread and whole wheat?

Yes some variations have slightly more complex carbs(compared to simple carbs), protein and fat; but from my findings its not "that much more" of a difference. Yet time and time again, I hear and see articles that there is a "fairly big difference" between the white and brown varieties?
    Thanks and have a great weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think you've already gotten your answer on the whole white/brown pasta/bread thing. But you really have a messed up idea of nutrition in general.

Check page 1 of this sticky. It is full of great info. And nobody is suggesting avoiding carbs is fad/hip dieting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jelly babies are comprised of sugar in the form of Simple Carbohydrates; and bread, rice, and pasta are comprised of Complex Carbohydrates. The Complex Carbohydrates act as the MAIN fuel for my body to consume; this is to keep my body from turning to my muscle structure and getting it's energy/fuel from there. It is important for me to gain as much lean muscle as possible; as this is the best way to increase my metabolism and burn excess fat. This is all relevant if someone does some form of exercise or an activity (watching tv and "jamming station" aside). :)

You're obviously not aware that bread has a higher GI response than most chocolate bars so.

You're not using your "muscle structure" for fuel because you're obviously eating enough calories.

And eating too many carbs, especially those of the simple variety is porentially bad for muscle growth due to decrease insulin sensitivity.

Oh and amylopectin a. Read about that.

You know far less than you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Wheat has been eaten as a staple food since like ... the beginning of the human race! So since it has served us humans generously for... a long time; I think I will show it a bit more support than some of the "gurus" and "fad/hip diets" do.
    As for germ - I agree.

the wheat that was eaten back then is very different to the wheat thats consumed now........

Advertisement