Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC - Recorded shows but no longer subscirbed to channels

• 03-11-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi Guys

When I got UPC as a promition i got all extra channels free for 3 months.But after 3 months I opted to stick with the basic package.

I recorded alot of shows but when i go to watch them im informed the channell i recorded the show from I am no longer subsribed too so therefore I dont have access to watch the show

Is there anyway I get around this?

I also think this is unfair as if i recorded a show while subscribed to the channel then I should have ownership of it. Like a VCR.

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Afraid not. Recorded shows are encrypted and you must be subscribed to the channel to watch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

allycavs wrote: »
    Hi Guys

When I got UPC as a promition i got all extra channels free for 3 months.But after 3 months I opted to stick with the basic package.

I recorded alot of shows but when i go to watch them im informed the channell i recorded the show from I am no longer subsribed too so therefore I dont have access to watch the show

Is there anyway I get around this?

I also think this is unfair as if i recorded a show while subscribed to the channel then I should have ownership of it. Like a VCR.

Alan

Same thing happens with Sky+, since all the records are stored encrypted, you need a current sub to watch/new recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

This is a restriction UPC have to adhere to by the providers of the premium channels, esp Sky. Since its designed for the situation you are referring to exactly (getting a premium channel, recording a lot of the content and then cancelling the subscription) you're out of luck here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The only way around it is as you have suggested your self to use an external recording device.

And no you do not have ownership of a recording. All you have is the right to view it at a later time. Rights are very jealously guarded. One of the competitors to DVD was a technology where the disks were guaranteed to fade after being played a number of times.

AFAIK technically speaking you only have the right to look a recording once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

The only way around it is as you have suggested your self to use an external recording device.

And no you do not have ownership of a recording. All you have is the right to view it at a later time. Rights are very jealously guarded. One of the competitors to DVD was a technology where the disks were guaranteed to fade after being played a number of times.

AFAIK technically speaking you only have the right to look a recording once.

This is exactly whats wrong with the market here, it's dictated by hollywood / broadcasters.

In the U.S., no such restriction applies and they dare not introduce such, as market would simply up sticks and use another service...

sky plus boxes have the same issue, they also won't record free channels unless you pay a 15euro sub to sky.

Tivo is a better alternative, as you can choose whether to buy recording service for the life of the box, or pay a monthly sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭prodsc

I have just noticed some stuff I have recorded is not available. I get the message that I am no longer subscribed to the channel. However, I am they are on BBC 3&4 which are part of the Digital package. Any ideas?

Advertisement