Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilli seedlings whithering and dying?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I had a ghost chilli seedling being kept on a window cill in the house and it was doing fairly well. I noticed the other day when I woke up that it was a frosty night, and in the following days my chilling started just dying slowly. I also had a jalapeno seedling beside it, but that was fine. I figured it was down to the fact that the ghost chilli has even less tolerance to cold than the jalapenos. NowI've started taking my chillis away from the windows at night, but my jalapeno has started going he same way :/ I'm nearly sure it's not from overwatering. Thanks for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,446 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At this time of year the shorter days are going to mean that your chillies are going to shut down for the winter. Some of them may die off completely, but you may keep some alive and they will have a head start in spring. Don't overwater them, keep them slightly moist but not wet, maybe snip off any withered looking top growth, and see what happens in spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

What age/size are the seedlings?

If they are still young/small then the cold airflow from a window or a watering with cold water will give them a shock to the system alright.

My chillis that I planted in February are still producing flowers and chillis in my kitchen, but they are a type that seem to do well here and my house is pretty well insulated and draught free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Overwintering seedlings/young plants is not the same as overwintering established plants Denis :( Ones sown earlier in the year will be well tough at this stage. No harm to try keep them going but I'd say ones sown next february will out-perform your current ones in the end.

Advertisement