Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do......?

• 03-11-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Calling on the wisdom of the crowds to help me in a serious bout of procrastination that's been plaguing me for the past while. Apologies if this is a bit long-winded, I'll try and keep it simple:

So, I'm a 30-something male, no mortgage or kids and unfortunately back living with the folks. I've been out of work for the past 4 years but in the meantime I've completed a degree and I'm currently in the early stages of my Masters. This is where the issue lies... I feel a bit jaded at this point and I'm not giving my all to my studies. Having came back from an extended period of travel I can't seem to get back on track and apply myself, my heart didn't return from travelling so to speak. At this point I have a 140 hour TEFL cert and I'm determined to complete a CELTA course also (planning on doing this abroad and continuing on from the country I complete it in). My heart is set on teaching english in South East Asia and seeing where it goes from there. However, I'm painstakingly trudging through my Masters and willing time to pass so I can get away, which would not be until early 2014 if I see it through...

What would you guys do? - drop out of the Masters and go for it now? (I'd be looking at Jan / Feb if I do this), complete the Masters and then go? (at least having another educational addition to my CV), or any other suggestions? I do like what I'm studying and it is an area I'm interested in, I just can't shake this niggling feeling of uncertainty...

I'm extremely nervous about leaving the Masters as I don't want to have a blemish like that on my record which may hinder future applications to educational courses in Ireland. I'm also concerned as to what the long-term implications are of teaching english abroad, hardly a pensionable career and definitely not one that will shower me in riches. Aside from that, I'm definitely not the type of person that craves wealth and material things (apart from my iPhone). I am also a little worried about blowing my savings on such a venture and having to crawl back to Ireland with zero funds or prospects. On the plus side, if I leave my Masters early I'd save about 4K from the remainder of my budget. I also have say 20K+ in personal savings along with that and my car, which I would sell before leaving. I guess I'm wondering if you guys think it's a stupid pursuit to pack in my studies and chase an option that has no long-term career benefits. Yet, I'm sure it would be an enrichening experience in a spiritual sense and could open doors to myriad possibilities...

I'm not happy in Ireland at the moment, all my friends have moved on - either abroad, in relationships i.e. marriage, kids, engagements etc and it feels like I'm just marching on the spot. I'm sick of the weather, the negativity, the incessant cuts and bad news, small-mindedness, begrudgery, net-curtain twitiching and celtic-tiger residue that's still evident in certain people I meet. I'm feeling depression creep in each day and while I'm usually fine by the evening, each morning is a struggle. I have no previous experience in teaching but I'm determined to not let that stop me, I have a respectable CV and the determination to see this through.

BUT!... I still falter on coming to a decision. From an outsider's point of view, can anyone offer any words of advice or wisdom? It would be much appreciated as I'm a bit lost at the mo. What would you do if you were in my position?

Farang5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say a lot of people would identify with your feelings about Ireland at the moment, and you don't even have a mortgage to worry about, and you have some savings! I am not saying that reduces your frustration, but just trying to put it in a bit of perspective.

I think it would be a great pity to give up on your masters now. You have already invested time and money in it, if you give up now that will be effectively lost.

You said you came back from abroad and your heart didn't come with you. But you have committed to doing a masters, would it bother you to feel that you gave up on something? How much difference would it make to your future prospects. Is a year now going to make a difference in the future? Are you in college doing your Masters on a full time basis, or how are you doing it?

Are there other things niggling you? Is there a piece of work that you are stuck on? Are you irritated because your flat/room is a tip? Do you need to find a diversion - preferably something energetic that will get your system going. Even if you are not into sports you could join something like a walking club, or even just get out and run/walk/jog on your own.

Would it help to stand back from the work for a couple of days, clean up, find a group to join, get some exercise, then get back to what has to be done with determination?

This is a very low time of year, and its a very low country we are living in at the moment. You have to make a determined effort to lift your head and decide to make the best of it, see yourself going upstairs a step at a time, every time you finish a piece of work or complete a section of it, every time you feel good remind yourself that this is how it can be, keep going up, don't allow yourself to go down any steps. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Teaching English is general great for adventure and the cultural change (though it pays pretty poorly). You'd likely have a great time in asia (and could likely even find a local wife or such if that's on your mind).

However it's an option that'd still be there in 2014 as well (which isn't that far away).

I'm little confused - do you want this MA? Is it in a subject you want to do and will it lead to a job you want down the line?

If you want this MA and maybe a career with it, stay with the MA and teach TEFL after. If you're actually not that interested, drop the MA and get a different one later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, its simple really, do you want to finish the Masters? Going forward in the future, will it help you (if you are not that career orientated/want to be part of the rat race). Is it something you just want to do for "knowledge" or is it something to pass the time till you get to Asia?

You could finish the Masters and during this year, prepare to move and find a job over there. It would give you motivation also.

I spent a few weeks over in Thailand teaching during the summer, and I LOVED it and would consider a career in teaching English also (loved it loved it loved it), so I can see the draw of it.

Advertisement