Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored stay at home father

Options
  • 03-11-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi all so I have been a stay at home father for about two months now and its really boring especially because I have no money to do anything, We go for a walk every day but what can I do after that. The little one gets bored too even though she is only ten months old I can see she gets pretty annoyed just looking at me all day, We live about 40 km from both sides of our family's so she cant really have people to play with everyday, Anybody got any ideas of what I could do with her where maybe both of us could make friends? I would even be open to having people over to our house just so I could talk to someone and Holly could play. Any ideas would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi all so I have been a stay at home father for about two months now and its really boring especially because I have no money to do anything, We go for a walk every day but what can I do after that. The little one gets bored too even though she is only ten months old I can see she gets pretty annoyed just looking at me all day, We live about 40 km from both sides of our family's so she cant really have people to play with everyday, Anybody got any ideas of what I could do with her where maybe both of us could make friends? I would even be open to having people over to our house just so I could talk to someone and Holly could play. Any ideas would be welcome
    Do you like swimming? What about a parent and toddler swimming group? I'm thinking about joining one to get us out and about. Also, some cinemas do viewings for parents and baby/toddlers in the morning times. not kids movies but all the new releases!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Try a library. usually have kids areas and kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

Unfortunately I cannot swim, and I would go to the cinema but I really have very little money a day at the cinema could really mean the difference between us having something we need and not which is really quite upsetting thanks for the replies though

Unfortunately I cannot swim, and I would go to the cinema but I really have very little money a day at the cinema could really mean the difference between us having something we need and not which is really quite upsetting thanks for the replies though
    I hear ya bout the money :)
    You should google parent and toddler groups, I'd say they are free or cost very little. EVen if you went to be couple it might be a good way2 meet parents in your area that you could arrange coffee dates with after and your kids couLd play together :) I know its hard, I'm at home with our little man, he's nearly 3months, most days I really enjoy it but some days it can get you down. Feels like it's all you do kind Of! Sorry, I'm not much help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is there other little girls she could perhaps have a playdate with?

• Advertisement

Gee_G wrote: »
    I hear ya bout the money :)
    You should google parent and toddler groups, I'd say they are free or cost very little. EVen if you went to be couple it might be a good way2 meet parents in your area that you could arrange coffee dates with after and your kids couLd play together :) I know its hard, I'm at home with our little man, he's nearly 3months, most days I really enjoy it but some days it can get you down. Feels like it's all you do kind Of! Sorry, I'm not much help!

More help than you think pal I would be interested in a coffee morning just to meet other stay at home father or mothers because I don't want holly growing up with no one to play with because I did and I literally have no friends I would open my home to anyone with there children( obviously only if the parents are also present Im not weird) which I shouldn't really have to point out but that's how things have gone. So if anyone is bored in westmeath during the week Im really always in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 on the library suggestion.

The libraries around here are really great. It is free to join the city one, or 50 cent to join the county ones. There are always other kids down there, and they even have toy lending facilities. You can do colouring in with their paper and crayons, there are song sessions and story telling. Some of them have rocking horses and sets of lego and dolls. And, you can take up to 10 books home with you each time.

We go to the library at least once a week, twice if I'm off.
    They always have notices up about free stuff to do in the area. There is a community center here too which often runs childrens events.

Playgrounds and outdoor stuff is good as well.

More help than you think pal I would be interested in a coffee morning just to meet other stay at home father or mothers because I don't want holly growing up with no one to play with because I did and I literally have no friends I would open my home to anyone with there children( obviously only if the parents are also present Im not weird) which I shouldn't really have to point out but that's how things have gone. So if anyone is bored in westmeath during the week Im really always in.
    What about putting up posters around the town you live in, suPermarkets and stuff, asking if anyone is inTerested in setting up a group to meet for coffees etc?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Would you organise a coffee morning youself? If you added in little talks it might draw people in a bit more.

We have one run fortnightly by the PHN over 12 weeks. They get people in to give little talks each fortnight, like first aid, baby massage, homepathy, baby yoga, slings, nutrition, weaning, breastfeeding, and its great, but also you get to meet other parents.

Lots of those you may get people in for free to talk to you if it generates business for them. The Order of Malta might give a chat and offer courses on first aid for infants. Someone from a baby shop for instance might be happy to come in and discuss products they sell to babyproof your home.

Your PHN might be able to help source a venue, or even a local community centre would be ideal. Initially you could slot them in for 30 mins and after that its chatting time, once the group is off and running, you may only need someone to come in to give a presentation once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

+1 on the library idea, but it depends on your local one.

Is there a community/ unemployed/ arts center of some sorts nearby? They may have some groups or classes that would be suitable. Maybe a parish center even?

Have you tried asking the county council for ideas? Maybe one of the parenting boards online? (like this one says you:rolleyes:)

I'm a stay at home dad too, I joined a community garden which is great because the kids get to run around and meet other kids, and I get to have some adult conversations:)

Hope you can find something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cuidiu run parentlink groups in local areas.

Between parent link and the local toddler group, my wife could be out 5 mornings a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Where are you based? I'm in the same boat as ya tbh. But worse for me in that I don't have the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

I think most towns have parent and toddler groups check your local family resource centre. also check your local paper I only recently started buying the local paper every week and its amazing the things you find out that's on in the area. http://www.familyresource.ie/centres.php
    Is the a park or playground near you? Go there and just try to make conversation with other parents there, I'm sure you will find lots of other dads in the same situation as you :) I know sometimes it can be difficult to just start a conversation with a total stranger but having kids makes this so easy, instantly you have something in common with this person and makes chatting easy you talk about your kids and it breaks the ice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I hear you on the bordem. Ive just returned to work but before that i found that we both got bored . Like u i always go for a walk but thats normally 1 hour of the day. Then i spend the rest trying to amuse A . Im lucky that i have family close by though so able to try get out to visit if someone was about.
    If a neighbour walked by and said hello i used to jump at the chance of a bit of adult conversation. I often thought of those parent & toddler meetings but i dont know just dont know if its my kind of thing, i feel i wouldnt fit in or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

where in Westmeath are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Knit wit

U sound lonely rather than bored ... I suspect with a 10 month old ur too busy to be bored! Would u consider doing a parenting course ... http://longford-westmeath.triplep-staypositive.net/get-help/find-a-session/Group ... They're free and a good way to meet other parents ... Even if u don't need the parenting advice yet!

Ditto the parent and toddler groups ... They saved my sanity!

Knit wit wrote: »
    U sound lonely rather than bored ... I suspect with a 10 month old ur too busy to be bored! Would u consider doing a parenting course ... http://longford-westmeath.triplep-staypositive.net/get-help/find-a-session/Group ... They're free and a good way to meet other parents ... Even if u don't need the parenting advice yet!

Ditto the parent and toddler groups ... They saved my sanity!

I was ready to get mad there till i read the rest of the post I hope i dont need a parenting course but if i cud meet other young parents maybe it would help thank you

skeptik wrote: »
    where in Westmeath are you?

sorry for the late reply im in moate

Advertisement