Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bins in a shared house

Options
  • 03-11-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have searched but couldn't find anything specific to shared accomodation. I have just rented a room in a house with strangers. The rooms are rented out individually. I went to put the bin out this morning to discover that there are no bins! The other tenants bring their rubbish to work. I can't and won't do that. Is it the LL's responsibility to provide a bin in a shared house and our responsibility to buy bin tags? I have a 'rent book' but it is only a copy book. I have no lease but paid a deposit as I was desperate. I start a new job in a new area and hadto move last minute. I have no idea what to do about bins. I hope not to be in the house for more than a few weeks. Any advice please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

If your only going to be there a few weeks then I wouldnt go shouting the odds so to speak, just put your rubbish in public bins on the street

However if your staying long term then obviously you will have to sort something, I rent a house (a whole one) and no the landlord doesnt supply the bins, its up to me to ring and set up an account with whoever to supply my bins and I would say this is the norm when renting houses, shared or on your own...apartments are different normally the bins are inclusive in the rent.

So I would suggest either you sit all tenants down and arrange to get bins between you if they wont well then you can organise getting a black bin in just your name and only you using it, or you can do as they do and bring your rubbish with you and dump it in a public bin or in your work bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Landlords aren't required to provide a refuse/recycling collection service, merely storage facilities.
    The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 state:
    12. The house shall have access to suitable and adequate pest and vermin-proof refuse storage facilities.

Having said that, most landlords of shared accommodation and apartments (that I know of anyway) do provide a common collection service. Where someone is renting a whole house (e.g. a family) it would be common for the tenant to get their own collection service.

If you have the option to use bin tags, I'd use them in the interim and then get out of the house as soon possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

Thanks,

I knew landlords werent responsible for bins if the house was rented as a unit. I wasnt too sure about a shared house. I was informed in work that 2 of the 3 others in the house weren't exactly local heros and then one told me that he actually dumps the household rubbish (presumably in a ditch). I moved out, LL was lovely. Got deposit back and am staying elsewhere for a while now. Thanks again.

Advertisement