Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding the right power adapter

Options
  • 03-11-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

A very very basic question, that you'll probably laugh at.

I have suddenly decided that I need an external screen for my laptop.
    Being a cheap ****er, I cant be arsed buying a new one. So I have an old LG studio works monitor but I have no power lead for it.

Anyway of finding out what type I need? I'd rather get one locally than online.

Numbers on the back are.

Model; 500LC
    Power: DC 24v. 1.2 A

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

somefeen wrote: »
    A very very basic question, that you'll probably laugh at.

I have suddenly decided that I need an external screen for my laptop.
    Being a cheap ****er, I cant be arsed buying a new one. So I have an old LG studio works monitor but I have no power lead for it.

Anyway of finding out what type I need? I'd rather get one locally than online.

Numbers on the back are.

Model; 500LC
    Power: DC 24v. 1.2 A

Thanks very much

I'm guessing the connection isn't a three pin one, like a kettle lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I'd say it is a three pin one.

Link to Buy

Or pull power lead from an old kettle/old pc/old monitor etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Are you saying that you need a power lead for the 24volt power supply that the monitor uses (do you have that?) or that you need a new power supply complete with mains lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Its not a three pinned one no.
    I need a male connection similar to what you get on the end of a laptop charger. But its getting the right size thats annoying. I don't fancy taking the whole monitor into town with me to try different leads.

So eh yes I assume I need a new power lead.

Basically at the back of the monitor there is a hole with a pin in it, this is where the power lead goes. There are apparently lots of things that fill holes with pins in them, but I'm not sure how to describe the particular characteristics of this hole with a pin in it so that I can get the right size thing that fills holes with pins in them and makes my monitor go. :P
    Sorry, I'm ****e with computers

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Well then what you need is a new power supply unit for the monitor, it,s a 24 volt so wont be easy to find. Are you sure that you cant find the original power supply for this monitor. It really wasnt much use for anything else so is probably lying around somewhere. Have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Advertisement