Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

peekachoo wrote: »
    No don't worry! Initially I had my heart set on art college until 5th year, then multimedia and computer based courses were my first and currently biomedical science is my first.

I'm curious as to know what I will end up doing. What subjects are you doing/enjoy?

Maths,and science subjects, and English. Was considering dentistry, then finance or accounting, now computer science has taken my fancy!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

ray2012 wrote: »
    Passion for sure. Don't do a course just because there is a job with good pay for it in the end if you don't enjoy it. Only choose a course you will enjoy. Nothing else should influence it.

That definitely is the logical perspective, but the money clouds my mind.. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

No, SayItAintSo, go where your heart wants you to!

@yournerd I'll tell you later this week when I have my mock results back aight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Maths,and science subjects, and English. Was considering dentistry, then finance or accounting, now computer science has taken my fancy!! :confused:
    to be honest all of the choices you listed are fairly secure, if you do go with computer related courses you're practically guaranteed work, maybe not as high paid as dentistry but a job is a job in this climate!
    I can't remember exactly which course but every person in my sisters course had a job contract before even graduating. Go with your heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Misteree

Number One is English With Film in UCD :D fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

LAW LAW LAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

Does anyone know if the CAO releases an inclination of what the points may be for some courses (from 1st preferences) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EoinMeath95

I think it's very unfortunate for our generation that most are facing down the road of an indefinite period of studying and then probably having to emigrate. For our parents generation, you left school and you either went to college to be a teacher/ doctor/ solicitor and thus got a job at the end of it or you joined the civil service and got a decently paid 9-5, Monday-Friday job with a pension at the end of it. Either way, they had far more security and financial stability than we will ever have. Nowadays, even those of us who end of working in the civil service/ gardai/ nurses and teachers, we'll be on far, far less money than our parents generation were on. It sometimes worries me that our generation are being completely hung out to dry by our parents generation who caused the economic collapse and are inflicting most of the pain as a result of it on us, to protect themselves..... Whether we like it or not, that's the reality for us.

I know they always say follow your passions and interests but if you're passion is Art, well, it's all well and good for four years but how are you going to make a living with that? At the end of the day, having a decent job which will sustain you and your family in the future financially is more sensible than doing something that might be your passion but won't necessarily get you a job. Surely if Art or something like that is where your interests are, could you not do it as a hobby outside of your day job.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I think it's very unfortunate for our generation that most are facing down the road of an indefinite period of studying and then probably having to emigrate. For our parents generation, you left school and you either went to college to be a teacher/ doctor/ solicitor and thus got a job at the end of it or you joined the civil service and got a decently paid 9-5, Monday-Friday job with a pension at the end of it. Either way, they had far more security and financial stability than we will ever have. Nowadays, even those of us who end of working in the civil service/ gardai/ nurses and teachers, we'll be on far, far less money than our parents generation were on. It sometimes worries me that our generation are being completely hung out to dry by our parents generation who caused the economic collapse and are inflicting most of the pain as a result of it on us, to protect themselves..... Whether we like it or not, that's the reality for us.
    Well . . . . . thanks for that. . . . . I suppose.

I know they always say follow your passions and interests but if you're passion is Art, well, it's all well and good for four years but how are you going to make a living with that? At the end of the day, having a decent job which will sustain you and your family in the future financially is more sensible than doing something that might be your passion but won't necessarily get you a job. Surely if Art or something like that is where your interests are, could you not do it as a hobby outside of your day job.....

Well aren't you just a whirlwind of happiness and positivity to grace this thread!

• Advertisement

Well . . . . . thanks for that. . . . . I suppose.

I'm just pointing out for our generation that we need to be realistic about the future. It'll be a lot tougher for us to get jobs because all of the traditional routes are closed (civil service and gardai for example) and believe me, that isn't about to change any time soon.

I'm just pointing out for our generation that we need to be realistic about the future. It'll be a lot tougher for us to get jobs because all of the traditional routes are closed (civil service and gardai for example) and believe me, that isn't about to change any time soon.

Whatever about the civil servant route, think about the amount of exciting oppertunities we'll be offered that our parents would never dream of! The development of medicine, sciences, technology and the whole lot are gearing us up for interesting futures, be a bit optimistic it's not all bad :D

Whatever about the civil servant route, think about the amount of exciting oppertunities we'll be offered that our parents would never dream of! The development of medicine, sciences, technology and the whole lot are gearing us up for interesting futures, be a bit optimistic it's not all bad :D

Well not everyone is a maths/science genius. In fact in the LC 2013, approx 30,000 did OL Maths while approx 3,000 did HL Maths. Most people doing OL Maths aren't gearing themselves up for a career in Engineering/ Technology/ IT which would require a high level of mathematical aptitude. So if most people doing the LC every year aren't going for those areas you mentioned above, the areas that are left (nursing, teaching, law, arts, business) have been hit massively in the last number of years. The govt have slimmed down the public service compared to what it was, that we won't get paid as much in the future compared to what the current, more established public servants are getting paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Well not everyone is a maths/science genius. In fact in the LC 2013, approx 30,000 did OL Maths while approx 3,000 did HL Maths. Most people doing OL Maths aren't gearing themselves up for a career in Engineering/ Technology/ IT which would require a high level of mathematical aptitude. So if most people doing the LC every year aren't going for those areas you mentioned above, the areas that are left (nursing, teaching, law, arts, business) have been hit massively in the last number of years. The govt have slimmed down the public service compared to what it was, that we won't get paid as much in the future compared to what the current, more established public servants are getting paid.

Why though is the public service the only option so somebody who doesn't go for medicine science and engineering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

A load of rubbish in my opinion. Computer Science is learning a new language that is called code and it requires very little mathematical aptitude but it does help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

LostBoy101 wrote: »

A load of rubbish in my opinion. Computer Science is learning a new language that is called code and it requires very little mathematical aptitude but it does help.

Yep, this + a billion. You don't need honours maths for Computer Science, the maths involved is completely different to any of the stuff you'll do in school.

LostBoy101 wrote: »

If it requires little mathematical aptitude then why for Computer Science in TCD do you need at least an A2 at Ordinary Level??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Misteree

I understand all the jobs are in mathsy kind of areas, but it's just not my strong point, and so I have to do what I really like, because I don't want to be instantly unhappy with where I am in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

If it requires little mathematical aptitude then why for Computer Science in TCD do you need at least an A2 at Ordinary Level??
    It's simple, 'cause it's Trinity and they always require ridiculous entry requirements due to the supply and demand for the college these days. You are better off looking elsewhere for Computer Science courses than TCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Im looking at TCD but my mocks results definitely arent.

• Advertisement

yournerd wrote: »
    Im looking at TCD but my mocks results definitely arent.
    I'm trying not to take my mocks too seriously, my points didn't even get me my second choice. Loads of work to do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

I'm trying not to take my mocks too seriously, my points didn't even get me my second choice. Loads of work to do :)

My choices aren't in order of points, so mine works out weird. I got enough for my fourth, but not my fifth, etc haha

My choices aren't in order of points, so mine works out weird. I got enough for my fourth, but not my fifth, etc haha

Ah yeah that's the same with most people! It's just my first and second choices are the same, just in different places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Ah yeah that's the same with most people! It's just my first and second choices are the same, just in different places!

To be honest I think I'd enjoy any of the 9 level 8s I put down. But my first choice would be great! :D

To be honest I think I'd enjoy any of the 9 level 8s I put down. But my first choice would be great! :D

Same here actually, I don't think I'll get it though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I must ask what is pushing people towards trinity? I can't find any courses I like there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I must ask what is pushing people towards trinity? I can't find any courses I like there :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

1. Trinity engineering
    2. UCD engineering

Had a hard time choosing between the two. They each have their own slight advantages, but I went for trinity because of it being known out of Ireland and because the open day had a better engineering showcase.

What does everyone think of Project Maths? I'm in one of the pilot schools and I am in Ordinary Level. Maths is my only ordinary subject and is my weakest subject. I always get As and mostly Bs in the rest of my subjects, all at Higher Level. Maths has been causing me a lot of stress this year, which has compounded itself in my mock result where I got 37%. I could get 600 points but if I fail Maths, basically I'm screwed. My teacher has been teaching our class through the OLD New Concise Maths, despite the fact we are a pilot school. I feel very, very let down because it is very clear that HL is being prioritised and those of us in Ordinary are being hung out to dry.

I am not a maths person. I would be delighted with a C. I got a C in HL JC Maths, and suddenly I'm failing LC OL Maths. I really, really hate the project maths syllabus. I could have studied 5 hours of maths everyday of the week and I wouldn't have known ANYTHING that came up in our mocks. It's a joke.

Now that I am failing, I am suddenly questioning myself and my own academic ability. Failing ordinary maths makes me feel like an idiot. I have had to lie to my friends who are asking me what I got in Maths and I haven't told my parents yet. My teacher went and made matters worse by actually suggesting that I sit Foundation Level DESPITE the fact that I got a C in HL JC, 60% in 5th Year Summer Exams and a D in my Mini Mocks. Now, I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I was very insulted to be told that I should do Foundation.

Does anyone else feel frustrated with the LC Ordinary Project Maths syllabus?

• Advertisement

Does anyone else feel frustrated with the LC Ordinary Project Maths syllabus?

I'm doing honours myself but most of our year are in OL, there's around 40-50. And out of that group there's almost 30 of them sitting an exam this week to determine whether or not they drop to foundation. IDK if they're just not working or if the classes are bad but something's clearly not right.

Have you maybe tried grinds or asking your teacher for extra classes? Regardless the level, maths is a subject that needs lots of extra work and encouragement. All those girls also believe there is an unfair bias towards the HL class as we sit around 4 extra classes a week whereas they're immediately discarded when class ends.

Advertisement