Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EoinMeath95

peekachoo wrote: »
    I'm doing honours myself but most of our year are in OL, there's around 40-50. And out of that group there's almost 30 of them sitting an exam this week to determine whether or not they drop to foundation. IDK if they're just not working or if the classes are bad but something's clearly not right.

Have you maybe tried grinds or asking your teacher for extra classes? Regardless the level, maths is a subject that needs lots of extra work and encouragement. All those girls also believe there is an unfair bias towards the HL class as we sit around 4 extra classes a week whereas they're immediately discarded when class ends.

I think it's a disgrace that a school would actually suggest a person to Foundation. Not only would I feel absolutely humiliated among my peers to be taking Foundation, but to make matters worse, I would be SEVERELY restricted if not blocked off completely from going to University.

I already do grinds and was flying. I also do well in class where we seem to be doing old course work purely because my teacher doesn't know how to teach it. She's perfectly content to send me to foundation, just to save her back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I think it's a disgrace that a school would actually suggest a person to Foundation. Not only would I feel absolutely humiliated among my peers to be taking Foundation, but to make matters worse, I would be SEVERELY restricted if not blocked off completely from going to University.

I already do grinds and was flying. I also do well in class where we seem to be doing old course work purely because my teacher doesn't know how to teach it. She's perfectly content to send me to foundation, just to save her back...

Yeah it kind of sounds like an issue you might want to take up with the principal/your parents. Teachers should be promoting hard work and encouraging their students to push up their grades, not the opposite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I'm the same I'm struggling with ol maths even though I've always been fairly good at maths. It's more the English then the maths I struggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shalom13

anyone reckon i could get ucd Physiotherapy with 540, did the leaving last year and re applying for ucd physio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Shalom13 wrote: »
    anyone reckon i could get ucd Physiotherapy with 540, did the leaving last year and re applying for ucd physio

If I'm brutally honest it might be a bit of a stretch, 550* last year, but you never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Shalom13

If I'm brutally honest it might be a bit of a stretch, 550* last year, but you never know!

yeah im doing it in rcsi atm but really want to do it in ucd

Shalom13 wrote: »
    yeah im doing it in rcsi atm but really want to do it in ucd

Not sure about UCD, you might possibly get TCD, but realistically nobody knows, no harm in applying regardless!

If you don't mind me being nosey why do you want to move from RCSI? Cause it's on my CAO but I've zero experience of it as compared to UCD, TCD and UCC etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

That's weird, everyone I've talked to from RCSI were convinced it was the greatest thing they've ever done? That was the medicine course though...

@yournerd, going for Trinity or UCD. Hopefully Trinity. And coming in from the mocks on 415... Life's not looking too good.

That's weird, everyone I've talked to from RCSI were convinced it was the greatest thing they've ever done? That was the medicine course though...

@yournerd, going for Trinity or UCD. Hopefully Trinity. And coming in from the mocks on 415... Life's not looking too good.

I don't like the thought of RCSI cause it's so small and just medicine related courses, I do prefer a large college really, for the other facilities like the student centre in UCD and the clubs and societies!

I posted this on the OT thread, but for anyone who didn't see it, the CAO report is out according to RTÉ, teaching down 8%, science up by 4%, and the best news of all Medicine down by 6.5% :D (this is all according to RTÉ, I can't find it on the CAO website so we'll have to wait a bit for the full thing.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I posted this on the OT thread, but for anyone who didn't see it, the CAO report is out according to RTÉ, teaching down 8%, science up by 4%, and the best news of all Medicine down by 6.5% :D (this is all according to RTÉ, I can't find it on the CAO website so we'll have to wait a bit for the full thing.)
    Science up? UGH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Science up? UGH

It's hardly a shock, it'll go keeping going up for the next few years if more jobs in IT and the likes keeping opening up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

stetyrrell wrote: »
    It's hardly a shock, it'll go keeping going up for the next few years if more jobs in IT and the likes keeping opening up.

I think that the amount of people applying for science has become something of a joke. The vast majority are only doing it for a job just like those who did architecture during the boom. If you're doing out of interest, go ahead! (not that you need my permission :pac:) But if you're only doing it for a job, the sector will eventually crash if the number of applicants increase the way they are now.

Science up? UGH

Unfortunately there's no sign of that trend stopping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I agree, the level of people of doing science is increasing as you have those people (especially parents + career guidance teachers) who are all ''Go for the science route! You'll get a job after it!'' to people who have no interest in science what-so-ever. Some of those people will actually go ahead and do science, and I'm sure many will drop out of it by the end of 1st year because they have no interest in the course, or else they'll probably fail the exams, because their lack of interest in it makes them detest studying it. It's really stupid tbh.

But yeah, I found the medicine statistic quite surprising - It's decreasing. I think many more people are opting for the science route, even though it takes a lot longer as it is more achievable in the leaving cert.

ray2012 wrote: »
    I agree, the level of people of doing science is increasing as you have those people (especially parents + career guidance teachers) who are all ''Go for the science route! You'll get a job after it!'' to people who have no interest in science what-so-ever. Some of those people will actually go ahead and do science, and I'm sure many will drop out of it by the end of 1st year because they have no interest in the course, or else they'll probably fail the exams, because their lack of interest in it makes them detest studying it. It's really stupid tbh.

But yeah, I found the medicine statistic quite surprising - It's decreasing. I think many more people are opting for the science route, even though it takes a lot longer as it is more achievable in the leaving cert.

With regards to the medicine stat I think the main reason is a drop in people who are applying for grad med (who are included in the number of people applying for medicine) mainly because of the prohibitive cost if it and that in general the amount of applications from mature students fell overall across the board in other areas. I don't think more people than normal who would've liked to study medicine decided they'd just go for science instead. However all the recent publicity about terrible working conditions for junior doctors certainly wouldn't have encouraged people who weren't sure to apply for medicine.

I think that the amount of people applying for science has become something of a joke. The vast majority are only doing it for a job just like those who did architecture during the boom. If you're doing out of interest, go ahead! (not that you need my permission :pac:) But if you're only doing it for a job, the sector will eventually crash if the number of applicants increase the way they are now.

I think there's always going to be people who aren't sure what they're going to do when they're in 6th year, it's not really fair to be so disparaging about them. Also science isn't quite like architecture, it's a much wider skill set than architecture which make graduates much more flexibke than architects who can only design building and nothing else. I really can't see it collapsing like architecture, science isn't a "bubble" like construction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yep, the majority of people are doing it to find a job, and don't even have the slightest interest in science. Take Computer Science for example, I know a few people who got into DIT and NCI for Computer Science because the Careers teachers were constantly saying it was the one way to go for employment, and already 3 of them have dropped out after their 1st year. The points for Computer Science in UCD have gone up from 370 in 2009 to 470 last year and it's expected to go up again this year.

I think there's always going to be people who aren't sure what they're going to do when they're in 6th year, it's not really fair to be so disparaging about them. Also science isn't quite like architecture, it's a much wider skill set than architecture which make graduates much more flexibke than architects who can only design building and nothing else. I really can't see it collapsing like architecture, science isn't a "bubble" like construction.

I'm hardly disparaging them now. I just think that its foolish opting for a science course based on the sectors current employability. It won't last forever like the construction industry didn't. It is subject to change and there isn't an infinite number of jobs in science just like there isn't in teaching or any other sector. Inevitably there will be a shortage of jobs in science eventually if the numbers currently applying continue to increase. I'm sure my opinion is pretty irrelevant to most now but it will become relevant in the future if the trends continue the way they are at present.

I'm hardly disparaging them now. I just think that its foolish opting for a science course based on the sectors current employability. It won't last forever like the construction industry didn't. It is subject to change and there isn't an infinite number of jobs in science just like there isn't in teaching or any other sector. Inevitably there will be a shortage of jobs in science eventually if the numbers currently applying continue to increase. I'm sure my opinion is pretty irrelevant to most now but it will become relevant in the future if the trends continue the way they are at present.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that there's always going to be a large body of students who don't have a passion for anything, and will go whatever the wind blows, it was business during the boom now it's science, I don't see why people should begrudge them for that!

• Advertisement

Yeah but what I'm saying is that there's always going to be a large body of students who don't have a passion for anything, and will go whatever the wind blows, it was business during the boom now it's science, I don't see why people should begrudge them for that!

Oh ok. Fair point, I thought you were referring specifically to science.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

It's not like construction at all though. I'm more familiar with engineering, physics and maths but a lot of people from those disciplines go into finance, IT and consultancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fert94

Level eight:

1 Medicine UCD
    2 Medicine NUIG
    3 Medicine UCC
    4 Medicine RCSI
    5 Radiography UCD
    6 TSM Psychology and French TCD
    7 Psychology UCD
    8 Speech and language therapy TCD
    9 Speech and language therapy NUIG
    10 Occupational therapy TCD

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

With regards to the medicine stat I think the main reason is a drop in people who are applying for grad med (who are included in the number of people applying for medicine) mainly because of the prohibitive cost if it and that in general the amount of applications from mature students fell overall across the board in other areas. I don't think more people than normal who would've liked to study medicine decided they'd just go for science instead. However all the recent publicity about terrible working conditions for junior doctors certainly wouldn't have encouraged people who weren't sure to apply for medicine.

Hello little ones... I'm applying for GradMed this year. The reason for the big drop in applicants for GradMed is because banks are not giving out the loans, not really the cost of tuition that's the problem. AIB stopped doing the loan completely and now Ulster Bank and BOI are the only ones who provide it. However all 3 banks used to give out a 100K loan to cover living expenses. As of last year the only cover tuition fees now. It basically all went to **** in the past year. Now you need a guarantor for the loan and it seems the only way to get a loan out is if your parents are in good standing with the banks and own a house. A good few people had to drop out last year when they started because their loans were not approved.
    I remember I applied for Undergrad med in 09... Ended up getting 209 on the HPAT and only 470 in the LC but I would never ever repeat the leaving cert since I hated it so much so I went this GradMed route. It's more expensive but I definitely grew up a lot in the past 4 years in chemistry and you don't realize how young you are when you start college till you look back... Anyways, best of luck to all you applying for Undergrad Med. I'll hopefully be a couple of years ahead of you if I get in when August CAO offers come out :)

I will also say, don't be upset if you don't get undergrad med. The reality is 10% of you will get a place... maybe 15%. I will say my class in first year was full of people who wanted medicine (17/24) and the rest were people who wanted Pharmacy. As of now only 3 of us are still pursuing it. So you might end up loving something else so don't be disheartened. I know I was for a few months but it isn't useful or productive. Just keep going forward :)

Hypnos wrote: »
    I will also say, don't be upset if you don't get undergrad med. The reality is 10% of you will get a place... maybe 15%. I will say my class in first year was full of people who wanted medicine (17/24) and the rest were people who wanted Pharmacy. As of now only 3 of us are still pursuing it. So you might end up loving something else so don't be disheartened. I know I was for a few months but it isn't useful or productive. Just keep going forward :)

So obviously you completed a degree in Pharmacy then?
    This is the route I'm hoping to take if I don't get med this year. Is it common for people to do degrees in Pharmacy then Med and does it help much?

Nah I'm actually in my final year of Medicinal Chemistry. A class filled with people who wanted to be doctors or pharmacists. Now most of them are happy in Chemistry :) It's not very common for Pharmacy students to go to med. Not as far as I'm aware. The reality is that most people who end up pursuing science or pharmacy end up staying because they fall in love with it. I know literally at least 40-50 people who in first year all planned on doing medicine after their respective science degrees but now there are 3-4 of us going for it now. I will say what helps is chemistry and a knowledge in physics. You have to sit the GAMSAT to get into grad med and the science level in it is much higher than you think. Chemistry comes up that you cover in 2nd, 3rd and even 4th! year chemistry. I will say that 40% of the science section in the gamsat is chemistry so you need a good understanding of chemistry and it comes very naturally if you pursue a degree in it. Physics is something that I've had to take time to try and grasp because it is also another chuck of the exam but it's much smaller than chemistry but nevertheless relevant. I have the GAMSAT exam this Saturday coming and having sat it already as a trail run it really pushes everything you know to the limit under really bad time stress conditions. 80-85% of people in gradmed are from a science background since the GAMSAT is heavily science based.
    My advice would be do your next favourite thing and start learning topics that you might not cover (e.g Biochem, particle physics, electromagnetism ect...) from my background physics was the only problem since I had little to no exposure to in my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ainesstuff

Yeah but couldn't find any engineering course so I said i'd do law. Like I said gotta love the backdoor :p

Anyone else putting down Law & arts?..:)

Yeah i put down law and arts as my no.1 and arts in nuim as my no.2 then dit law 3rd and dcu 4th (or vice versa, cant remember :/)
    praying i get the points <3

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WastingLight

Level 8:
    1. DN671 - Economics and Finance (UCD)
    2. DN650 - Commerce (UCD)
    3. DC111 - Business (DCU)
    4. MH408 - International Finance and Economics (NUIM)
    5. DC127 - Actuarial Financial and Mathematical Sciences (common entry) (DCU)
    6. DT366 - Accounting and Finance (DIT)
    7. DC115 - Accounting and Finance (DCU)
    8. DT399 - Economics and Finance (DIT)
    9. MH401 - Finance (NUIM)
    10. DN500 EMA - Arts - Maths & Economics (UCD)

Level 7/6:
    1. DT261 - Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Sciences (DIT)
    2. DT315 - Business Studies (DIT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

ainesstuff wrote: »
    Yeah i put down law and arts as my no.1 and arts in nuim as my no.2 then dit law 3rd and dcu 4th (or vice versa, cant remember :/)
    praying i get the points <3

Cool hope to see you there :D what arts subjects are you going for? and what was dit and dcu law talks like, i missed the open days:p

Advertisement