Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Claire1456 wrote: »
    Are you in leaving cert? :)

I am :) are you interested in something similar? Not often I come across someone else who wants to do those two languages :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Wow, after reading through this thread, seems that the points for science and law will shoot up like crazy this year. So all you science and law people beware!
    My choices that I'm gonna put in next week during the change of mind period:
    1.Applied Languages UL
    2. Applied Languages DCU
    3. International Languages UCD
    4. Languages & Tourism DIT
    and I still need to decide the rest...

Anyone else have similar courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Omg sooo many people are putting applied languages in UL down.. its going to go back up to 460! fml

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Omg sooo many people are putting applied languages in UL down.. its going to go back up to 460! fml

Nooooo! And there I was thinking I'd be sorted with 420 points. How do you know?? I checked the stats on the CAO website and Arts/Humanities seems to have gone down by 3000.

Luize wrote: »
    Nooooo! And there I was thinking I'd be sorted with 420 points. How do you know?? I checked the stats on the CAO website and Arts/Humanities seems to have gone down by 3000.
    aaaah same!! theres a special thread on this and loads want it ! if you go on the ul official page it says that there is a 26% in demand for applied languages this year!! :'( so it will shoot up!! Looks like its the arts route for me :/

• Advertisement

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    aaaah same!! theres a special thread on this and loads want it ! if you go on the ul official page it says that there is a 26% in demand for applied languages this year!! :'( so it will shoot up!! Looks like its the arts route for me :/

Ahh crap.. can you link me to the thread? O doubt it will go back up to 460 though, that would be pretty crazy. Maybe 440 tops? There's other language courses with less points on Dublin though? I don't really mind where, as long as I get a language course. But UL was my #1 choice :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

Wow, after reading through this thread, seems that the points for science and law will shoot up like crazy this year. So all you science and law people beware!
    1.Applied Languages UL
    2. Applied Languages DCU

Don't say things like that, was content with the stats from the cao saying demand for law was down!

Have the BCL in UCD down as my first choice, ucd website claims law got 245 first preferences with 110 places on offer!

Ahh crap.. can you link me to the thread? O doubt it will go back up to 460 though, that would be pretty crazy. Maybe 440 tops? There's other language courses with less points on Dublin though? I don't really mind where, as long as I get a language course. But UL was my #1 choice :'(
    http://www.ul.ie/news-centre/news/strong-increase-in-cao-applications-for-ul-programmes Here ya go! betttt it'll go way higher!!! aw really! Dublin is a bit far for me :P ju book anywhere on campus yet? :))

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gf13

Okay I'm kind of hijacking this... But only for one/two or more question lol

Anyone any experience of English keynotes? Is it worth it? I got it but I'm kind of wondering should i return it.
    My teacher gives out good notes on the single, comparative and poetry - some of which are from keynotes. So should I keep it and why?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

1. Physio tcd
    2. Physio ucd
    3. Physio rcsi
    4. physio ul
    5. Speech and language tcd
    6. Speech and language nuig
    7. Spreech and language ucc
    8. Performance and exercise ucd
    9. Sports and rehab cit
    10. Modern languages ucd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

1.Applied Languages UL
    2. Applied Languages DCU

I've AL down in UL #1 too! :P I'm hoping it doesn't go up too much! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I was going to do Computer Science and German, but I realised when you do a language it's actually a full indepth study of it, not just learning how to fluently speak, read and write it. Don't think its for me in that case.

ray2012 wrote: »
    I've AL down in UL #1 too! :P I'm hoping it doesn't go up too much! :eek:

Same I'm counting on it :( I think since it went down so drastically last year, its likely that loads will put it down this year and hence the points will go up quite a bit (

Same I'm counting on it :( I think since it went down so drastically last year, its likely that loads will put it down this year and hence the points will go up quite a bit (

I'd say the most it'll go up would be around 15/20 points to 420/425.. I can't imagine it going up a crazy 30/40 points.. At least I hope it doesn't! :p

I'd say the most it'll go up would be around 15/20 points to 420/425.. I can't imagine it going up a crazy 30/40 points.. At least I hope it doesn't! :p

Yeah I hope so.. I really really want it!! What languages are you thinking of doing? And did you put down any other language courses? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gf13

Gf13 wrote: »
    Okay I'm kind of hijacking this... But only for one/two or more question lol

Anyone any experience of English keynotes? Is it worth it? I got it but I'm kind of wondering should i return it.
    My teacher gives out good notes on the single, comparative and poetry - some of which are from keynotes. So should I keep it and why?

Thanks!

Anyone?

Yeah I hope so.. I really really want it!! What languages are you thinking of doing? And did you put down any other language courses? :P

I'm fairly set on the course now! :pac: I'll be doing French (adv), Spanish (beginners) and more than likely German (beginners). You? Nah, the only other course like this are in Dublin and that would be too far for me, so I'd probably just take the art route in Galway maybe. I'm hoping I won't have to do that, but it'd be my only option really. :o

I'm fairly set on the course now! :pac: I'll be doing French (adv), Spanish (beginners) and more than likely German (beginners). You? Nah, the only other course like this are in Dublin and that would be too far for me, so I'd probably just take the art route in Galway maybe. I'm hoping I won't have to do that, but it'd be my only option really. :o

Oh cool! I would do German (advanced), Spanish (beginners) and if i decide to do a third, Japanese :) well I'm in Cork so I'd have to move either way. Yeah I'm hoping I won't have to resort to Arts, as there's not really a huge emphasis on languages.

Oh cool! I would do German (advanced), Spanish (beginners) and if i decide to do a third, Japanese :) well I'm in Cork so I'd have to move either way. Yeah I'm hoping I won't have to resort to Arts, as there's not really a huge emphasis on languages.

I know the course in DCU and I think UCD are lower points anyways! (Mid 300's I think) Hopefully I'll be seeing you next year so! :D

I know the course in DCU and I think UCD are lower points anyways! (Mid 300's I think) Hopefully I'll be seeing you next year so! :D

For Arts? The Applied Languages one in DCU is very similar to the one in UL, and its only 350 :)
    haha yes hopefully! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

I have UL as my #2, in case I don't get into UCD. I' m getting slightly worried too ;o .

mixery wrote: »
    I have UL as my #2, in case I don't get into UCD. I' m getting slightly worried too ;o .

For applied languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maidhfinden

Is UL the only university in Ireland that has the option for Irish in an applied language course? Seafóideach! :P Looks like I'll be for DCU's new arts course with Irish and French then so

For applied languages?

Ya. But I would really prefer UCD as they do Italian.

Ya. But I would really prefer UCD as they do Italian.

The points for UCD are pretty high though. What about DCU? I'm debating whether to put UL or DCU first....

I haven't looked massively into the DCU course(altough the way things are going I might have to), but I'd take UL. The course layout seems great!

I haven't looked massively into the DCU course(altough the way things are going I might have to), but I'd take UL. The course layout seems great!

It's quite good! The only difference really is that you can only do 2 languages in DCU and there's no work placement. I'm surprised that the points are so low though

I just really want to do Italian, and not limit myself significantly, as I don't exactly want to be a translator. I think that in learning a language it's very important that you do spend some time abroad, and when it's partly organised by the college all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

Are the majority here actually going for a course because it's interesting and they enjoy it, or is everyone going for courses that'll get them a job they don't loath??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Are the majority here actually going for a course because it's interesting and they enjoy it, or is everyone going for courses that'll get them a job they don't loath??

Going for a course that I want to study that seems interesting! No point in doing a course you will hate just for a job won't work out well in the end!

Advertisement