Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Anyone else for Science in Trinity? :)

It's 2nd on my CAO, so there's a possibility I might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

Well NanoScience, which is essentially the science course with a bit of nano lectures, What Modules are you going to take in Science? :)

Ehh Biology Chemistry and Maths I'd say. The molecular medicine degree is what I have my eye on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Siobhan :). believe it or not im so petrified of needles, that prob sounds ridic but there is less needles involved in midwifery compared to nursing isn't there? Where are you doing your course? And does the placement hours take away from the college social life or is that a rumour? Thanks :)

I'm doing nursing in UCD :)

Hmm well it might be different when you're on the other side of the needle? You become immune to them almost when you're giving injections daily. And with nursing we can't take blood or do cannulation without doing a course day when we're qualified if you were worried about that.

I'm not too sure about less needles with midwifery... I'll do some research but I'd imagine there would be injections with the likes of having the negative rhesus factor etc.

Well on placement you work 3 long days a week (well that depends on your hospital/placement but the majority work the 3 days). You can still go out, but the nurses on your course might not have the same days off. If you have friends though in other courses sure you can head out with them :)

Tbh I wouldn't be worrying about missing out on the social life. You're not on placement all the time, and if there is a big night out that you know of, ask for that day off in advance. You might not get it off, but most nurses who do the roster are sound . But you do get the odd wagon.

The way I look at it, at the end of the day it's a professional degree and you're qualified for a job. With other degrees you don't have that security.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me! :) and of course any one else with any questions about nursing, even if its down number 10 on the cao or not at all, dont hesitate to ask :) its good to get an opinion from a student and not from a prospectus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

My top three choices are Nursing, Midwifery and Law (at UL) and I have backups like Biochemistry, Pharm Chem, Science Choice and DMD! Anyone else for any of these courses down in Limerick? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I still don't have a clue what to do.

YAY for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

ynwa14 wrote: »
    My top three choices are Nursing, Midwifery and Law (at UL) and I have backups like Biochemistry, Pharm Chem, Science Choice and DMD! Anyone else for any of these courses down in Limerick? :D
    Midwifery in UL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

HugsiePie wrote: »

YAY for me!

I was just about to ask anyone else still undecided? :P

YAY for us! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Have medicine in UCD down first but I'm not confident that I'll get it.
    So for my second choice I'm trying to decide between Law and Business in Trinity or Business and Law in UCD...any thoughts or help would be great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Anyone else for ag science ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clairec463

Im hoping to do General nursing in UCD DN450
    Hopefully the next two weeks go well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

BIS In UCC, Followed by BIS In NUIG + CIT :)
    I just need to pass maths and i will be grand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

HugsiePie wrote: »

YAY for me!
    I was just about to ask anyone else still undecided? :P

YAY for us! :P

Hey guys! I wouldn't be too worried about not knowing what ye want to do yet. It's to be expected, it is a massive decision and it's very difficult to decide on what you want to do in College without any experience of the course/work involved or any indication of what it would be like to study a subject or specialty in college.

I sat my LC last year and achieved a pretty good 525 points. I loved Business & Economics in school so decided to put Business & Law course as #1 on my CAO

Fast-forward on a couple of weeks into the College year and I realised Law was not something I felt I wanted to do. After a few weeks of torment and indecision of whether to return to school and repeat or look for a transfer, I went to a private career guidance counsellor who advised me and helped me in the right direction.

I was granted a transfer into a Psychology degree and really enjoyed my first year. Despite enjoying Psychology, it is a very long process to achieve employment in Ireland and have FINALLY (a year of University later) decided what I feel is the best option for me after University in order to do a job in which I enjoy the work, the practise and the social interaction with patients. After completing a couple of weeks work Shadowing I plan, after my Psychology degree, to complete a 2 year Masters in Speech & Language Therapy in UL which will qualify me as a Therapist with the same degree as those who began studying it for 4 years.

This will mean I will only be a year extra in college than most people who apply directly to the Speech and Language Undergrad course on the CAO (5 v 4 years).

Moral of the story is, don't panic. There's ways around every obstacle, it is perfectly acceptable at such a young age not to know what to do with your life and what to fill in on the CAO. Just know that it IS NOT the be all and end all. People change courses all the time, it's definitely not unheard of. Some people might have, from an early age, a clear idea of what they want to do in life and the career path in which they want to follow, but not everyone is as lucky.

My advice is to forget about the CAO pressure until after the exams are over, then, take a couple of weeks and really think about what you want. If (like me) you still found it difficult to decide, choose something broad and something YOU are interested in. Just because a course/particular college has high levels of points and requirements doesn't mean it's necessarily the best or the one for you.

Life is a learning experience, don't rush it and eventually, you'll find out exactly what makes you happy and what you want to devote your life to doing.

Best of lucks in the exams, go n-eiri leat, namaste, bonne chance, etc! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

clairec463 wrote: »
    Im hoping to do General nursing in UCD DN450
    Hopefully the next two weeks go well!!

Just came across this, I'm doing the same course, so if ya have any niggly questions just ask! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

After how Home Ec went (and English P2 inevitably), I think jam makings going right on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey guys! I wouldn't be too worried about not knowing what ye want to do yet. It's to be expected, it is a massive decision and it's very difficult to decide on what you want to do in College without any experience of the course/work involved or any indication of what it would be like to study a subject or specialty in college.

I sat my LC last year and achieved a pretty good 525 points. I loved Business & Economics in school so decided to put Business & Law course as #1 on my CAO

Fast-forward on a couple of weeks into the College year and I realised Law was not something I felt I wanted to do. After a few weeks of torment and indecision of whether to return to school and repeat or look for a transfer, I went to a private career guidance counsellor who advised me and helped me in the right direction.

Which
    I was granted a transfer into a Psychology degree and really enjoyed my first year. Despite enjoying Psychology, it is a very long process to achieve employment in Ireland and have FINALLY (a year of University later) decided what I feel is the best option for me after University in order to do a job in which I enjoy the work, the practise and the social interaction with patients. After completing a couple of weeks work Shadowing I plan, after my Psychology degree, to complete a 2 year Masters in Speech & Language Therapy in UL which will qualify me as a Therapist with the same degree as those who began studying it for 4 years.

This will mean I will only be a year extra in college than most people who apply directly to the Speech and Language Undergrad course on the CAO (5 v 4 years).

Moral of the story is, don't panic. There's ways around every obstacle, it is perfectly acceptable at such a young age not to know what to do with your life and what to fill in on the CAO. Just know that it IS NOT the be all and end all. People change courses all the time, it's definitely not unheard of. Some people might have, from an early age, a clear idea of what they want to do in life and the career path in which they want to follow, but not everyone is as lucky.

My advice is to forget about the CAO pressure until after the exams are over, then, take a couple of weeks and really think about what you want. If (like me) you still found it difficult to decide, choose something broad and something YOU are interested in. Just because a course/particular college has high levels of points and requirements doesn't mean it's necessarily the best or the one for you.

Life is a learning experience, don't rush it and eventually, you'll find out exactly what makes you happy and what you want to devote your life to doing.

Best of lucks in the exams, go n-eiri leat, namaste, bonne chance, etc! :)

Which college? I want bla badly :(

yournerd wrote: »
    Which college? I want bla badly :(

National University of Ireland, Maynooth!

My post was not intended to run down B&L at all, I have a lot of friends in it that love it, it just wasn't the right choice for me to make (which in hindsight, I had a gut feeling about all along)

National University of Ireland, Maynooth!

My post was not intended to run down B&L at all, I have a lot of friends in it that love it, it just wasn't the right choice for me to make (which in hindsight, I had a gut feeling about all along)

I just love law from personal experience but I know nothing for the 2 days so....

I just love law from personal experience but I know nothing for the 2 days so....

If you love Law you're on the right track! :) What 2 days? I'm confused! :confused:

If you love Law you're on the right track! :) What 2 days? I'm confused! :confused:

English 2 and maths 1 :(

English 2 and maths 1 :(

I'm sure you know more than you think, just relax, SLEEP WELL and go in tomorrow and make those exams your b!tch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Ehh Biology Chemistry and Maths I'd say. The molecular medicine degree is what I have my eye on at the moment.

Hehe, you're exactly like me this time last year! :D I've just finished up first year of the course and creeping through boards to see how you're all getting on with the LC. Feel free to PM with any questions about the course or anything :P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Daniel7740 wrote: »
    Anyone else for ag science ?

Don't think i'd like to share a course with a lad who thinks a 7740 is a decent yoke :P

pajero12 wrote: »
    Don't think i'd like to share a course with a lad who thinks a 7740 is a decent yoke :P

Ah hey now there a good yoke! Ideal loader tractor for a stockman!

Now the ford 5000 is just a pure animal

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ShefflinAlong

CAO, I have arts in Maynooth first (MH101), History anyway, not sure on other subjects ... and I -think- I should be safe enough for points if everything keeps going the way it has so far.

I'm wondering about this new option to do first year for Maynooth in Kilkenny though? ... anyone else thinking of doing that, or know anythingabout it?

It would be very handy in some ways, its only 20 miles from me and i would have a lift in and out every day. Save a lot of money too, and the auld fella wouldn't mind that at all at the moment! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

nursing or commerce in nuig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

So guys now that people are starting to finish up with the big LC, where's everyone headed in September? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭olazbabes

Cross my fingers DCU Finance and Accounting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

UL is the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

olazbabes wrote: »
    Cross my fingers DCU Finance and Accounting

snap for DCU! (hopefully)

• Advertisement

Ucd ag science is the plan, If not wit ag science

Advertisement