Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Medicine in Trinity<3 If not than Computer science.

Out of curiosity, do you have Medicine down for anywhere else? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

Hector122 wrote: »
    anyone planning on studying BIS?

I was considering BIS in UCC, there's fierce small numbers in that course every year though isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Engineering in UL, 495! Hopefully all goes according to plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I was considering BIS in UCC, there's fierce small numbers in that course every year though isn't there?

I think UCC have 150 places! Not 100% sure hoping for cit myself now considering all my exams didn't go as planned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    Anyone here for biological and biomedical science NUIM?

it's my number one! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

I've loads of chemistry courses at the moment, but I'll probably scrap them and put down Irish and Journalism at DCU.

Either that or it's a gap year (full of working 9-5 hopefully, many auditions, writing, filming YT vids) or a film/tv/presenting related PLC if I can get one.

I don't think I even got the entry requirements for that course though, so I may end up repeating Irish next year instead! And if I did get it, I'll probably still defer the course and do a gap year/PLC. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Law not for long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Changing my mind every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

peekachoo wrote: »
    it's my number one! :D

I'm kinda a bit iffy about it because I heard you do loads of things but a whole deal of nothing if ya get me? What you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    I'm kinda a bit iffy about it because I heard you do loads of things but a whole deal of nothing if ya get me? What you think?

people that do it say they like the course but are generally unsure about after graduation and that. I guess the course in CIT comes with a years work placement whereas this one doesn't. I'm not sure, it's what I'm gonna go for anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Who'd have thought two years later I'm back filling out the CAO all over again! :o Glad I came across this thread! Is there anyone applying for any courses up in St.Angelas College in Sligo? Or TraleeIT? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Who'd have thought two years later I'm back filling out the CAO all over again! :o Glad I came across this thread! Is there anyone applying for any courses up in St.Angelas College in Sligo? Or TraleeIT? :)

Me :D My first choice is general nursing in St. Angelas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

MissD93 wrote: »
    Me :D My first choice is general nursing in St. Angelas

Brilliant! My first choice is the Applied Science in Food and Business Management :D

(Hopefully I'll get it right second time around :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

Mugatuu wrote: »
    Brilliant! My first choice is the Applied Science in Food and Business Management :D

(Hopefully I'll get it right second time around :o)

I repeated the Leaving this year, so hopefully second time lucky for me aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Got Commerce with French (UCC) down as first choice, exams haven't gone perfectly though which needed to happen if I was realistically going to get it! Comm with Italian is my next choice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Law in Trrrrrrriners

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worrx

I haven't read all the posts so don't shoot me if you find my assumption biased! It doesn't seem many people are going into arts from the comments I've read, & I feel I should be happy about that seeing as all I have on mine is stuff like English, Sociology, History, and Languages. But then I think, maybe I'm just picking the wrong things? Oh well guess we'll see in August! I need 565 points for my first choice in TCD, stresssss but no pain no gain right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

worrx wrote: »
    I haven't read all the posts so don't shoot me if you find my assumption biased! It doesn't seem many people are going into arts from the comments I've read, & I feel I should be happy about that seeing as all I have on mine is stuff like English, Sociology, History, and Languages. But then I think, maybe I'm just picking the wrong things? Oh well guess we'll see in August! I need 565 points for my first choice in TCD, stresssss but no pain no gain right?

Yeah it is true that most Arts, social sciences and humanities are down, but if you are aiming for Trinity then the points will always be high regardless since people from all over the country want to go there. Other college and universities will probably have lower points.
    I have Philosophy at UCD down, it is only has an intake of 10 people but points were still only 340 last year.
    The "job guaranteed" idea people seem to have with science and IT is getting a bit silly at this stage. My cousin took bio molecular chemistry or something like that and has to go to Hungary for work. Not sure how it is with IT but in a small country like Ireland there can't be that high a need for programmers. Few years down the line arts will probably go back up again. Tis good times. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

andrew369 wrote: »
    Yeah it is true that most Arts, social sciences and humanities are down, but if you are aiming for Trinity then the points will always be high regardless since people from all over the country want to go there. Other college and universities will probably have lower points.
    I have Philosophy at UCD down, it is only has an intake of 10 people but points were still only 340 last year.
    The "job guaranteed" idea people seem to have with science and IT is getting a bit silly at this stage. My cousin took bio molecular chemistry or something like that and has to go to Hungary for work. Not sure how it is with IT but in a small country like Ireland there can't be that high a need for programmers. Few years down the line arts will probably go back up again. Tis good times. :cool:

In an economy thats realises it cant compete in raw manpower but can in modern sectors there is plenty of need for IT

I did expect nothing less from Trinity though, I mean Joffrey from Game of Thrones goes there, the points must be high haha. Yeah tell me about! the same courses in UCD are 415 or something like that compared to 565 etc. But then again I guess Trinity can afford that what with their reputation.
    I'm glad someone is with me on that 'job guaranteed' thing =D I can't imagine spending four years studying something I absolutely hate just in hope of a potential & most probably non-existant job. It's the same with IT though, my dad's in that sector so he goes on about it. Amen to arts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

anyone for mary I or languages in UL ? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭andrew369

I did expect nothing less from Trinity though, I mean Joffrey from Game of Thrones goes there, the points must be high haha. Yeah tell me about! the same courses in UCD are 415 or something like that compared to 565 etc. But then again I guess Trinity can afford that what with their reputation.
    I'm glad someone is with me on that 'job guaranteed' thing =D I can't imagine spending four years studying something I absolutely hate just in hope of a potential & most probably non-existant job. It's the same with IT though, my dad's in that sector so he goes on about it. Amen to arts!

I was going to do biotech which would have been 4 years, 5 if I went abroad and then one day I realised that no amount of money I earned could make me happy since I would be playing with fungi every day. :P So my CAO is now all arts at NUIM and UCD, would rather try work hard and gain success at something I really love than float around as a mediocre science graduate. Everyone is better off going for something really love regardless of national statistics and job prospects. Over 40% of the world is below the poverty line and we are 7th highest roughly in the human development index. We will be fine regardless if we talk absolute ****e about Joyce for 3 years.

I was going to do biotech which would have been 4 years, 5 if I went abroad and then one day I realised that no amount of money I earned could make me happy since I would be playing with fungi every day. :P So my CAO is now all arts at NUIM and UCD, would rather try work hard and gain success at something I really love than float around as a mediocre science graduate. Everyone is better off going for something really love regardless of national statistics and job prospects. Over 40% of the world is below the poverty line and we are 7th highest roughly in the human development index. We will be fine regardless if we talk absolute ****e about Joyce for 3 years.

5 years is a lot to be playing with fungi haha & that was me but with Computer Science. My CAO is all arts in UCD & TCD, & one backup of Journalism & Languages in DIT. It's mad to think about the choices I would have made less than a year ago though! Exactly! And if there is an abundance of 'medicocre science grads' then they'll be needing people like us sooner or later, hopefully. Fine talking ****e about Joyce? I agree, but that sounds like such a psuedo-intellectual thing to do haha In other words, it sounds great =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You're right to an extent, and certainly about the "guaranteed job" bit and about saying that in a few years down the road things will have changed again (people were screaming to go into architecture and engineering and construction-related courses a few years back, and look at it now).

However, the IT sector is one of the very few sectors in Ireland at the moment where there are definitely jobs if you have the *right* qualifications / skillset. In fact, it's pretty impossible to get certain skillsets; demand exceeds supply.

Sciences probably not so much so; probably not the worst hit sector, but probably more an investment for the medium to long-term when the economy starts to recover rather than a guarantee of a job right now (depending on what science to some extent, I guess).
    I did expect nothing less from Trinity though, I mean Joffrey from Game of Thrones goes there, the points must be high haha.
    Nah, Joffrey would just have blackmailed or bribed the Admissions Officer into giving him a place. :pac:
    Yeah tell me about! the same courses in UCD are 415 or something like that compared to 565 etc. But then again I guess Trinity can afford that what with their reputation.
    Trinity doesn't set the points though, it's a product of supply and demand coupled with the points achieved by the people applying. The CAO computer works them out, but in fact you, the applicants, collectively set the points each year.
    Nor would I ever encourage anyone to do something they hate just because the job market *might* potentially be better (and as pointed out, these things change). Not much use having a job if it drives you to drink within two years! :pac:

It's no harm keeping some eye to the jobs market, though: translators of ancient Abahatta, for example, probably aren't going to be in huge demand any time soon! :pac:

Nah, Joffrey would just have blackmailed or bribed the Admissions Officer into giving him a place. :pac:

True, I should have considered that. He is, after all, the King XD
    [Trinity doesn't set the points though, it's a product of supply and demand coupled with the points achieved by the people applying. The CAO computer works them out, but in fact you, the applicants, collectively set the points each year.

I didn't know all that but I knew points of a course were dependent on how many people chose it & how well they did. But it makes it slightly less terrifying thinking TCD make the points rather than think of all the (possibly & probably) better competition you're against =P
    Nor would I ever encourage anyone to do something they hate just because the job market *might* potentially be better (and as pointed out, these things change). Not much use having a job if it drives you to drink within two years! :pac:

It's no harm keeping some eye to the jobs market, though: translators of ancient Abahatta, for example, probably aren't going to be in huge demand any time soon! :pac:

Now when you put it that way .... haha. I do get where you're coming from though. I guess I've always prioritized happiness over money =D

But what if you love money? :P

AndyMc wrote: »

I was gonna say if money makes you happy, you're sorted. But I knew someone would've thought that eventually XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AndyMc wrote: »
    But are you prepared to sell your soul (or indeed anything else! :pac:) for it Andy? :D

You're just determined to perpetuate the Cya-van stereotype, aren't you? :p

But are you prepared to sell your soul (or indeed anything else! :pac:) for it Andy? :D

You're just determined to perpetuate the Cya-van stereotype, aren't you? :p

I once tried to sell my soul for a klondike bar plus tuppence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

What's the difference between a tightrope and a Cavan Man? :pac:
    A tightrope sometimes gives!

Advertisement