Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Flabangav wrote: »
    1. DN300 Veterinary Medicine - Undergraduate entry
    2. DN451 Children's and General Nursing (Integrated)
    3. TR911 Children's and General Nursing (Integrated)
    4. DC218 Children's and General Nursing (Integrated)
    5. DN450 General Nursing

Out of curiosity, if your number 1 choice is veterinary, why not go for vet nursing further down the list as opposed to children's and general? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Right now (not submitted yet, I might change opinion. I'm submitting next week)

1. CK401 - Computer Science, UCC.
    The way I see it, I'm unlikely to get lower than the points for that at current level; the rest are just courses I've taken an interest in and might move them up depending on my mood. .

2. CK407 - Mathematical Sciences, UCC
    3. CK203 - Business Information Systems, UCC
    4. TR076 - Nanoscience, physics and chemistry of advanced materials, TCD
    5. TR071 - Science, TCD
    6. TR031 - Mathematics, TCD
    7. DN200 - Science, UCD
    8. CR106 - Software Development, CIT

I've organised it by college preference and then course preference right now, (studying in UCC makes the most sense for me in terms of accommodation and stuff so I'm hoping to go there) but CR106 Software Development might move up as I've heard that quite a few employers favour it over other CS courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if your number 1 choice is veterinary, why not go for vet nursing further down the list as opposed to children's and general? :)

I'd rather be a human nurse than a vet nurse. I'd put it further down but I'm repeating and got offered my second choice last year, so there's not much point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

The reason there are lower contact hours is because Arts / Humanities requires a lot of reading and self-directed learning rather than long-drawn-out labs where someone holds your hand through every facet of the process.

It's fair enough that you want to defend your degree and its merits, but I have to take issue with this part. I'm doing theoretical physics and it is heavily dependent on self-directed learning, while still having a lot of contact hours. If you don't do any of your own work outside of lectures you won't be coming back for 2nd year. I also have labs and nobody "holds your hand". It's 3 hours with your partner to work with. If you're very stuck you can get some help from postgrads but nobody holds your hand through every facet of the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

This is my list so far, just picked 6 Level 8 courses at the moment so still have to fill the rest.

1. DC120 - Enterprise Computing, DCU
    2. DC121 - Computer Applications, DCU
    3. TR081 - Business, economic and social studies (BESS), Trinity
    4. DT228 - Computer Science, DIT
    5. DT354 - Business Computing - Level 8, DIT
    6. NC003 - BSc Honours in Computing, National College of Ireland

Interested in doing business with I.T and I'm also interested in DCU Computer App. as they have an interesting and exciting course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's fair enough that you want to defend your degree and its merits, but I have to take issue with this part.
    Actually, I'm not all that interested in defending my degree and its merits, especially since I'm well past the stage of completing a first degree. :)

I am however anxious that those who might be considering studying in the humanities aren't put off by the snide and dismissive attitudes of such as the previous poster.
    I'm doing theoretical physics and it is heavily dependent on self-directed learning, while still having a lot of contact hours. If you don't do any of your own work outside of lectures you won't be coming back for 2nd year.
    Everyone undertaking a degree needs to do work outside of lectures / tutorials / labs, I'm not denying that for a second. However, in most disciplines, it's not really self-directed (which is a different thing altogether from personal study outside contact hours).

In the humanities, lectures are a general guide to the required reading and some initial suggestions as to how to approach them analytically and critically. Each module comes with a hefty reading list (I've seen RLs run to 10 pages in history for a 5 credit module) and if students wish to actually get the benefit of the education they are in college for, not to mention score highly, they need to at least delve deeply into that reading, and develop their own personal viewpoints and opinions and understanding based on the material presented to them, and be able to argue those opinions and back them up, sometimes at odds with the stated views of their lecturers. For the arts student who is actually interested in their subject, most of their time should be spent reading. Some doss ofc, and miss that opportunity. That's their loss, tbh.

TP is a bloody tough degree, I know that, and I wouldn't for one second underestimate it. Actually, that's one of the advantages of studying the humanities, one learns to appreciate the interconnectedness of things and the contribution that all the disciplines make to the totality of knowledge and to our civilisation and society.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

1. DN200 Science - Mathematical, Physical and Geological Sciences (MPG) (UCD)
    2. TR035 Theoretical Physics (TCD)
    3. DC171 Applied Physics (DCU)
    4. DC167 Physics with Astronomy (DCU)
    5. DT222 Physics Technology (DIT)
    6. DT205 Mathematical Sciences (DIT)
    7. DT220 Industrial Mathematics (DIT)

1. DN200 Science - Mathematical, Physical and Geological Sciences (MPG) (UCD)
    2. TR035 Theoretical Physics (TCD)
    3. DC171 Applied Physics (DCU)
    4. DC167 Physics with Astronomy (DCU)
    5. DT222 Physics Technology (DIT)
    6. DT205 Mathematical Sciences (DIT)
    7. DT220 Industrial Mathematics (DIT)

I LOVE YOUR USERNAME! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

i have nothing down. absolutely nothing as of this moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

LM077 Aeronautical Engineering (UL)
    LM113 Engineering Choice (UL)

More to be added later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I LOVE YOUR USERNAME! :cool:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

1. Biomedical science- UCC & CIT
    2. Science- TCD
    3. Biological and chemical sciences- UCC
    4. Science- no preference- UCD
    5. Biomedical science- DIT

Science in Trinity might move up to number one after the open day though, I'm becoming more drawn to the place day by day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheFlayedMan

My number one is Law with History in UCD.

My top five will probably be a mixture of Law, Business and Primary Teaching in St Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

CatEyed92 wrote: »

Presuming you are in college, I am sure you know jobs are not in abundance in any sector these days.

Do you think there are jobs in Law? Business? Or is it the fact they are more points, therefore, more respectable than an Arts degree?

Wanted to correct these two points. First of all there are loads of opportunities for graduates right now depending on the field. Secondly there are plenty of jobs in business (though you don't necessarily even need a business degree to work in them). For the top students there are investment banks and consultancy firms, who are still taking on large numbers of graduates. The accountancy firms also take on hundreds of graduates each year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Wanted to correct these two points. First of all there are loads of opportunities for graduates right now depending on the field. Secondly there are plenty of jobs in business (though you don't necessarily even need a business degree to work in them). For the top students there are investment banks and consultancy firms, who are still taking on large numbers of graduates. The accountancy firms also take on hundreds of graduates each year too.

Should of put down other sectors but for some reason, they were the only ones I put in at the time. I meant everywhere as a whole - opportunities are cut compared to past times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I know it's early days yet, but if anybody wants any information on Science Education/General Science in NUIM or anything else science related in NUIM, PM me and I'd be happy to help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StrayCat1

1. DN600 LPY Law with Philosophy
    2. Probably the joint arts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Just to let y'all know the CAO interactive practice demo is online, if you're like me and want to get an idea of what will happen but don't want to committ to the real thing! ;)

Just to let y'all know the CAO interactive practice demo is online, if you're like me and want to get an idea of what will happen but don't want to committ to the real thing! ;)
    Is this the one in the download section where I print it out? or I am missing something?

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Is this the one in the download section where I print it out? or I am missing something?

No no this is the interactive demo, it's as if you're doing it for real!

• Advertisement

No no this is the interactive demo, it's as if you're doing it for real!
    Cool, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

People are really that inept they cannot fill in a simple form, without practice?

sganyfx wrote: »

People are really that inept they cannot fill in a simple form, without practice?

Well the crowd in the CAO clearly feel there's a need for it! Accidents can always happen, like once I book flights from Dublin to Cork and back rather than from Cork to Dublin and back ;) when it's something As important as the CAO form a mistake is the last thing you want to be worrying about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

1- Science (Trinity)
    2- Science (UCD)

Haven't actually filled it out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

1. Biomedical science- UCC & CIT
    2. Science- TCD
    3. Biological and chemical sciences- UCC
    4. Science- no preference- UCD
    5. Biomedical science- DIT

Science in Trinity might move up to number one after the open day though, I'm becoming more drawn to the place day by day...

Decided to have a look in this thread for the laugh - I'm currently doing Science in Trinity, so if you've any questions about the course/college feel free to PM me! :) Same goes for anyone else considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

leaveiton wrote: »

Decided to have a look in this thread for the laugh - I'm currently doing Science in Trinity, so if you've any questions about the course/college feel free to PM me! :) Same goes for anyone else considering it.

Thanks a million I'll keep that in mind! What degree path/stream thing are you looking at going down? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thanks a million I'll keep that in mind! What degree path/stream thing are you looking at going down? :)

Well I'm currently doing biology, chemistry and the full maths option. I haven't any particular degree in mind, but I'm considering the likes of molecular medicine, neuroscience, immunology, physiology, that kind of thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

Level 8.

1. TR006 Psychology. (Trinity)
    2. DN519 Psychology. (UCD)
    3. MH106 Psychology. (NUIM)
    4. DN450 General Nursing. (UCD)

I know there are several 'backdoors' into Psychology through arts, but I really really don't want to go down that route. I just have Nursing in there as a back-up.. just in-case :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

1. Midwifery in ul
    2. General nursing in UL
    That's all I know now

• Advertisement

1. Midwifery in ul
    2. General nursing in UL
    That's all I know now

I always presumed you were a guy (you know, cause of the name Charlie, I know it can be a girl's name too but it's more commonly a guy's name)
    Are you a guy? I know that loads of guys are nurses but I've never heard of a male midwife. :)

Advertisement