Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

HugsiePie wrote: »

I always presumed you were a guy (you know, cause of the name Charlie, I know it can be a girl's name too but it's more commonly a guy's name)
    Are you a guy? I know that loads of guys are nurses but I've never heard of a male midwife. :)
    Nope haha :) that's the name i had for my password and put it as username instead so I just left it :) bit weird but its my dogs name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Nope haha :) that's the name i had for my password and put it as username instead so I just left it :) bit weird but its my dogs name

Awwwwwwwww :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

Anyone else hoping to do maths in Trinners next year? Either as a single honours degree, or a TSM. Would love to hear of someone (anyone) else.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Anyone else hoping to do maths in Trinners next year? Either as a single honours degree, or a TSM. Would love to hear of someone (anyone) else.

Me :D well i have theoretical physics down as number one and maths as number two, but the physics course is half of the maths degree anyways, so we will probs have some lectures together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 miny44

Well I don't really know what to put down on the cao... I want a career that would be 'active' and challenging, not being confined to an office everyday! I like biology,maths, dcg (tech graph) and home economics in school and my hobbies are sports and helping out with the farm at home!

So out of all that I came across some courses that looked interesting..
    *athletic therapy and training- the course content seems good with human physiology and all about the skeleton etc but job prospects seem very unlikely!

*occupational therapy- helping others become independent in daily living..seems to be a rewarding job working with a wide range of people from hospitals,schools, prisons.but points around 520 and job prospects aren't very likely!

*general nursing or children's and general nursing- biology, and a rewarding career however I've been advised of the unsociable hours and the hard back breaking work!

*nutritional science, food science, food science and management- the population of the world is growing so food will be a big issue and with my interest in home ec and animals might be another option!

*vet nursing- I'm not after doing chemistry so veterinary itself is out the window because it would take way too long doing a doing a degree and then going on to the veterinary itself-another 5 years but it would suit me- biology, animals....

*Physiotherapy-points are sky high but again an interesting course!

*Biomedical engineering- interesting making prosthetic arms ...but I've looked up jobs in this sector and there all confined to small cubicles, sitting down and might be laborious but it has biology, tech graph, maths all combined!

*paramedic- no cao route but could possibly do a first aid course through the cao as you have to be 21 really to become a paramedic to get a D1 licence..but a rewarding job, active,life saving situations..

So many choices, all with pros and cons.. impossible to choose!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I want to do politics and economics, might go down the arts degree route :pac:

I'll probably put down science but I can't decide between NUIG and UCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

HugsiePie wrote: »
    I'll probably put down science but I can't decide between NUIG and UCD.

...NUIG.

Same course as me then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Going to try and fill out my CAO by today.. but I still only know my 1-6 and have no idea for the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Me :D well i have theoretical physics down as number one and maths as number two, but the physics course is half of the maths degree anyways, so we will probs have some lectures together :)

I'm doing TP at the moment in Trinity, if either of you have any questions about the course(s) or the college feel free to ask me :)

• Advertisement

ray2012 wrote: »

...NUIG.

Same course as me then :pac:
    Yeah I would love to go to Galway but the course us really broad on 1st year, I would have to pick up chem and physics not having done them previously but on UCD you can go straight into the biology end of things. Ughhh decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChloChlo

Hey I just thought I'd throw up some info about courses and universities from what I've learned about going through the CAO and being at college, I remember when I was trying to fill in my CAO I was so clueless.
    Anyways, I eventually decided to do Sport Science and Health in DCU and I am currently in my second year. Now I dont want to sound biased but this course and DCU is honestly the best thing that ever happened to me! DCU has a nice sized campus, which means when you want to walk to the canteen to the library the longest it tales you is 7 minutes in comparison to UCD where it will take you 25 minutes to walk from one end to the other. There is a great student life and board. Lots of clubs and scoities which I can guarantee you will find something suited to you. When you first go to university it obviously daunting but everyone is very friendly, helpful. The lecturers, staff and students are all on the same page and everyone is treated equal.
    If your interested in sport its an amazing university, the facilities are great! Lots of different kind of sports from hurling to rock climbing, boxing to canoeing anything you could imagine!

Now, sport science and health. When i did my leaving the points were 465 and went up to 475 last year, there is a strong likelihood that the points will rise again, simply because there is a rise in the demand in places of science degrees. The majority of people in my course had athletic therapy and training(ATT) as their top choice and didn't get the points, more or less they all wanted to do physio. So, if you want to do physio ATT is a good choice but for 520 points and around 35 places its a difficult one to get. I personally would like to be a dietician. The only course in Ireland that qualifies a person to be a dietician is the one in DIT and the points are something ridiculous like 580. I am going to a master's degree somewhere. Stay in education for as long as I can!!

The content of the course is mixed. The first semester in first was horrible in my opinion, long hours and not very subjects e.g. physics and chemistry. I felt it didn't relate to the degree itself (sports) but because its a science degree it had to be done. Once I got into the second semester my opinion changed completely. I loved all my modules, eg adapted physical activity learning about inclusion of people with disabilities in sport, we had 6 weeks of playing basketball in wheelchairs, blind football great craic all together! This semester was fantastic, sport psychology, sport nutrition, learning to be a personal trainer. All the lecturers are dead on! I emailed Dr. Donal O'gorman last year, during my leaving cert and he emailed me back letting me know about the course very helpful.
    Giles Warrington the course coordinater is lovely, he is very helpful and genuinely wants the best for all his student. You get to know all the lecturers on a personal level throughout the year.

If anyone wants to know any more PM me. I know thats a long ass post but I have a lot to say haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

I have Trinity Maths and Economics and Trinity Maths as my top two choices :) Not sure which I will pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Computer Games Dev. in IT Carlow is the first choice, no idea after that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I think Primary in Mary I will be my number 1 choice...This year I have found that St. Pats is less appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

David1994 wrote: »
    I think Primary in Mary I will be my number 1 choice...This year I have found that St. Pats is less appealing.

Good choice! Apparently a Mary I graduate will be given a job before any other college, I'm not sure how much truth is in that though. Something simple to keep in mind tho is how accessible is Limerick from your home place as it may not be worth waiting for connecting buses every Friday night. I've witnessed this when I'm travelling home myself and it's something to keep in mind because 4 years will be a long time..

Good luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm a first year Primary Teaching student in Mary I so anyone who wants any info just shout :) I think if you're genuinely interested in becoming a teacher go for it, the new course is so interesting and is so much easier for the students over the old course I hear...even though it is a challenging course and I'm only 1/8 of the way through it :rolleyes:. That goes for whatever college you end up in for it though. But yeah you'll love it if it's genuinely what you want to do, you get a feel for your future job in the classroom after like one month in the college and although that might frighten you (it did to me too), it's so beneficial and was so class tbh... and the college and staff in Mary I are sound. Honesty due to it being a new course everyone helps everyone out as there is pressure for everyone concerned and sticking together is what'll make it work. It's such a tight knit college, due to it being relatively small compared to the likes of UL, UCC etc., that everyone knows and cares for everyone. And yeah it's true, you're more likely to get a job if you went to Mary I. As the Dean proudly told us the first day, it's the centre of Excellence in Education and the fact that Mary I is linked with UL which has the highest rate of students getting jobs upon leaving college apparently. That has more than a few benefits too trust me ;) But yeah any queries, don't be shy :)

And I wouldn't worry too much about the job situation...it's at least 5 years from now for you where you'll have that dilemma and things WILL be better then for sure and in fairness, if you're passionate about your profession and are willing to work and study hard which every damn student should regardless of the course you shouldn't have too much to worry about...

Best of luck with the choices everyone and for the exams :) it's hard but these 6 months are well worth it...honestly atm I'm at home relaxing to the fullest, off for the month, delighted with my course and the fact I don't have to repeat in June. I nearly collapsed with the pressure and fatigue of exams last summer but the goal in August was keeping me sane and awake. It's still early days but the sooner you start the better chance you have of being delighted in August... And it's all in you, just find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

1. DN200 Science - Mathematical, Physical and Geological Sciences (MPG) (UCD)
    2. TR035 Theoretical Physics (TCD)
    3. DC171 Applied Physics (DCU)
    4. DC167 Physics with Astronomy (DCU)
    5. DT222 Physics Technology (DIT)
    6. DT205 Mathematical Sciences (DIT)
    7. DT220 Industrial Mathematics (DIT)

Talk about a waster

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kate_B7

Thinking of putting down Law plus in UL, really unsure though!If anyone has any info i would welcome it :) And after that ive no idea..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Hey... Less of this Pats bashing :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 fionagotbored

Finally did my cao todayy, English with Drama at Ucd for first choice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Still have yet to even register with the CAO but I WILL do it this weekend. Watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Music Media Performance Technology - UL
    Computer aided engineering and design - UL

Not sure which first :/

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

sganyfx wrote: »
    I have Trinity Maths and Economics and Trinity Maths as my top two choices :) Not sure which I will pick.

I'm in the exact same boat. I have heard that maths is intensive enough on its own, so I might just do a single honours degree. Though it would be lovely to supplement it with economics, that just sounds like a lovely degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shawnanana

miny44 wrote: »
    Well I don't really know what to put down on the cao... I want a career that would be 'active' and challenging, not being confined to an office everyday! I like biology,maths, dcg (tech graph) and home economics in school and my hobbies are sports and helping out with the farm at home!

So out of all that I came across some courses that looked interesting..
    *athletic therapy and training- the course content seems good with human physiology and all about the skeleton etc but job prospects seem very unlikely!

*occupational therapy- helping others become independent in daily living..seems to be a rewarding job working with a wide range of people from hospitals,schools, prisons.but points around 520 and job prospects aren't very likely!

*general nursing or children's and general nursing- biology, and a rewarding career however I've been advised of the unsociable hours and the hard back breaking work!

*nutritional science, food science, food science and management- the population of the world is growing so food will be a big issue and with my interest in home ec and animals might be another option!

*vet nursing- I'm not after doing chemistry so veterinary itself is out the window because it would take way too long doing a doing a degree and then going on to the veterinary itself-another 5 years but it would suit me- biology, animals....

*Physiotherapy-points are sky high but again an interesting course!

*Biomedical engineering- interesting making prosthetic arms ...but I've looked up jobs in this sector and there all confined to small cubicles, sitting down and might be laborious but it has biology, tech graph, maths all combined!

*paramedic- no cao route but could possibly do a first aid course through the cao as you have to be 21 really to become a paramedic to get a D1 licence..but a rewarding job, active,life saving situations..

So many choices, all with pros and cons.. impossible to choose!:)

Some of your choices are similar to mine..Don't rule out the nursing and occupational therapy because of job prospects cos you can travel with them! I've been told that if you are an Irish trained occupational therapists/nurse (not so much physio cos there are more of them) and travel to Australia/Canada/Middle East, you will be snapped up!!

I was thinking occupational therapy in Galway or maybe speech and language therapy either, nursing, and primary teaching or home ec secondary teaching :)

I'm in the exact same boat. I have heard that maths is intensive enough on its own, so I might just do a single honours degree. Though it would be lovely to supplement it with economics, that just sounds like a lovely degree!

I love both subjects, so choosing between them is an absolute nightmare so the degree is perfect for me :P and considering my career choice is Investment Banker/Hedge Funds it does not help me choose between Mathematics and Economics because both degrees are suitable for it :)

The workload should be much fun :) I might as well not even get accomidation and just live in the library. I have the straight Mathematics as a back up choice in case I don't get the points for the Economics and Mathematics one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

what are yer opinions on people just doing a certain course in college as there are jobs in that area at the moment, who don't actually have any interest in that area?

For example, someone who goes and does a science course in a university, but is just doing it because (s)he's being constantly told to do it as there are jobs at the end ; but (s)he has no interest in it at all.

I'm kinda stuck in this dilemma, my family are saying ''go do science, you'll get a job and good pay after college!'' but to be honest, I don't have a HUGE interest in science. I do 2 science subjects in school, and I'm slightly interested in parts of the course but that's it. I'm not great at either of the subjects and I don't know if I can imagine doing something science related for the rest of my life.
    And then, what I really like is languages. I do French and Irish in school and I love them (for the most part). I also enjoy listening to other languages and looking at similarities and all that kind of stuff. Studying applied languages would be something I would really love to do in college. However because of the ''lack of jobs'' that you can get with this course, my family are completely against it. They call it ''useless''. In-fact, I'd like to be secondary-school teacher teaching languages when I grow up, but as I'm constantly reminded of no jobs in this career, I'm getting fairly put off.

What I'm trying to say is, do ye think someone should follow a career that they really want even if it'll be tough (and sometimes impossible) to find a job out of it, or that she should stick with a course they know will get them a job in the end?

what are yer opinions on people just doing a certain course in college as there are jobs in that area at the moment, who don't actually have any interest in that area?

For example, someone who goes and does a science course in a university, but is just doing it because (s)he's being constantly told to do it as there are jobs at the end ; but (s)he has no interest in it at all.

I'm kinda stuck in this dilemma, my family are saying ''go do science, you'll get a job and good pay after college!'' but to be honest, I don't have a HUGE interest in science. I do 2 science subjects in school, and I'm slightly interested in parts of the course but that's it. I'm not great at either of the subjects and I don't know if I can imagine doing something science related for the rest of my life.
    And then, what I really like is languages. I do French and Irish in school and I love them (for the most part). I also enjoy listening to other languages and looking at similarities and all that kind of stuff. Studying applied languages would be something I would really love to do in college. However because of the ''lack of jobs'' that you can get with this course, my family are completely against it. They call it ''useless''. In-fact, I'd like to be secondary-school teacher teaching languages when I grow up, but as I'm constantly reminded of no jobs in this career, I'm getting fairly put off.

What I'm trying to say is, do ye think someone should follow a career that they really want even if it'll be tough (and sometimes impossible) to find a job out of it, or that she should stick with a course they know will get them a job in the end?

I'd say go with what you love, you'll always regret if you don't.

A choice between having money and not being happy or being happy and having little money I guess. Maybe try and find career which involves your interests and a money making job? For example if you are interested in IT and such but want the high pay from banking, there are jobs such as back desk investment banking jobs. If you love languages expand your portfolio of spoken languages, there is always a demand for translators in every industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'd say go with the one you have a real interest in over anything else.

I'm in a similar kind of situation even though I only do Biology. I'm more than likely going to put down arts and do English, geography and something else even though the only real job that'll lead me to is teaching which I'm not mad about and there aren't even a whole lot of jobs in to begain with. I'll probably put down a General Science degree 3rd or 4th on my list just for the sake of filling up space because I honestly have no idea how I'll fill all 10 spaces.

So basically even though sciene has more opportunities than a combination of English and Geography I have no real interest in it and I'll only be using it as a last resort and that won't even work because if I don't get the 370 for arts (which is nigh on impossible unless I have a major breakdown, I'm aiming more for the 525 mark for the NUIM scholarship) and I put science further down, I won't get that either so it's only going to be a filler.

In short, do what you love because if you're like me you'll regret it and dwell on it for ages if you don't. :)

Advertisement