Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's on your CAO 2013?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

123 LC wrote: »
    what about physio in UL maybe?

Dunno if I could hack moving to stab city (nahh I joke)
    The points are on par with ucd and rcsi and I'd prefer to stay in the pale really. Haven't heard much about the course anyway? What's it supposed to be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

1. GY101 Arts
    2. GY105 Arts (Journalism)
    3. GY105 Arts (History)
    4. DN500 BA Degree - joint honours (full-time)
    5. CK101 Arts

Considering swapping the first two around, think I'll be happy regardless which one I end up doing next year though. Points are achievable I think. Not excessively worried on that front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm planning on doing postgraduate physio in France if I don't get the phyio straight off, yeah I was looking at the ucd graduate prospectus and it's not cheap alright

Might consider grad medicine when I'm older and wiser :)

Why France?

Good luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Garzard

First choice I guess will be DIT Automotive Management and Technology, anyone else? I'm repeating Maths this year and hopefully this course will stay on 250 points, fingers crossed. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Dunno if I could hack moving to stab city (nahh I joke)
    The points are on par with ucd and rcsi and I'd prefer to stay in the pale really. Haven't heard much about the course anyway? What's it supposed to be like?
    Doing it in Trinity at the moment. You should really consider it as an option. Not just saying it because it's my college but the course here is a good bit better quality than other colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Baiz, bitta Aeronautical Engineering in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

UCC Children's and General Nursing
    UCC General Nursing
    UCC Midwifery

That is all >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

1. Science in Trinity
    2. Science in UCD
    3. Biomedical Science in DIT
    4. Psychology through science in Maynooth
    5. Science in Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

1. CK701 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted)
    2. TR051 Medicine (Restricted)
    3. DN400 Medicine - Undergraduate Entry (Restricted)
    4. GY501 Medicine (5-year/6-year course and 8-year embedded PhD options) (Restricted)
    5. RC001 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted)
    6. TR055 Radiation Therapy
    7. DN410 Radiography
    8. CK402 Biological and Chemical Sciences

As it currently stand but I've a feeling Biochem might be moving up into 6th place at some point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

1. CK103 Music (Restricted)
    2. CK104 Arts with Music (Restricted)
    3. CR121 Music at CIT - Cork School of Music (Restricted)
    4. CK606 Architecture - Joint UCC and CIT programme
    5. CR560 Architectural Technology

So I'm hoping for BMus in UCC, and if I don't get it at first, I can do the same degree in Arts with Music with an extra year :) Put down a few level 7 architecture courses as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Niiall wrote: »
    Baiz, bitta Aeronautical Engineering in UL.

Finally! There's a boardsie doing Aeronautical Engineering in UL in September. Doing it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Comuter Science in Trinity hopefully. :D

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Doing it in Trinity at the moment. You should really consider it as an option. Not just saying it because it's my college but the course here is a good bit better quality than other colleges.

Any insight into why it's better? Have you studied in the other colleges ? Or are you just offering the trinners for winners advice?
    Haha only joking but really can you offer any insight?

Why France?

Good luck with it anyway!
    Coz I'm doing the delf B2 this year which is the usual requirement to study in France, fees are pretty cheap compared to here and France is sound

Cheers and good luck to you too

Any insight into why it's better? Have you studied in the other colleges ? Or are you just offering the trinners for winners advice?
    Haha only joking but really can you offer any insight?
    Suppose it depends on what you want out of the course. Trinity is a more medical-based course and you get a huge grounding in the theory first before you get to the practical aspects of it, whereas UCD is more practically-oriented.
    Like 1st year UCD does Biomechanics along side physics and some physiology and anatomy, which I don't think is great. I don't see how a student can properly appreciate Biomechanics before they fully complete anatomy, physiology and physics.
    Whereas in Trinity, 1st year Physio and Med for the most part is a common year. Both do the entire Physiology course and (almost) Anatomy course in 1st year together, alongside Physics, Chemistry and Clinical Anatomy. So you have all the background stuff needed before going into the physio-specific stuff.
    Big advantage in Trinity over UCD is Anatomy Practical classes. Trinity has full body dissection classes for Physio students, whereas UCD doesn't. As far as I know (unsure of the specifics), in UCD the lecturer just stands at the top of a class with a leg, for example, and just shows the various muscles, whereas in TCD you're assigned to your own body with 4-5 other people in your class and you've to do it all yourself. In fact 10% of your Anatomy grade is a Spot exam based on the cadavers, and 40% is a one-on-one oral exam with the lecturer at the Cadaver.

Also Trinity is the only course which makes you do a full research project in 4th year, as opposed to just an outline of what you would research in other colleges which is a huge bonus for employers, and you can sit the Foundation Scholarship in 2nd year which, again is a huge advantage over other colleges.

The biggest consideration wherever you choose is the teaching hospitals. You'll need to weigh up how easy or hard it'll be to get to the hospitals. UCD's main hospital is St. Vincents I think. Trinity's main Teaching campus for Physio is St. James'. From 2nd year you'll have nearly all your classes there so you need to be sure that you're able to get there for 9am starts.

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on what you want out of the course. Trinity is a more medical-based course and you get a huge grounding in the theory first before you get to the practical aspects of it, whereas UCD is more practically-oriented.
    Like 1st year UCD does Biomechanics along side physics and some physiology and anatomy, which I don't think is great. I don't see how a student can properly appreciate Biomechanics before they fully complete anatomy, physiology and physics.
    Whereas in Trinity, 1st year Physio and Med for the most part is a common year. Both do the entire Physiology course and (almost) Anatomy course in 1st year together, alongside Physics, Chemistry and Clinical Anatomy. So you have all the background stuff needed before going into the physio-specific stuff.
    Big advantage in Trinity over UCD is Anatomy Practical classes. Trinity has full body dissection classes for Physio students, whereas UCD doesn't. As far as I know (unsure of the specifics), in UCD the lecturer just stands at the top of a class with a leg, for example, and just shows the various muscles, whereas in TCD you're assigned to your own body with 4-5 other people in your class and you've to do it all yourself. In fact 10% of your Anatomy grade is a Spot exam based on the cadavers, and 40% is a one-on-one oral exam with the lecturer at the Cadaver.

Also Trinity is the only course which makes you do a full research project in 4th year, as opposed to just an outline of what you would research in other colleges which is a huge bonus for employers, and you can sit the Foundation Scholarship in 2nd year which, again is a huge advantage over other colleges.

The biggest consideration wherever you choose is the teaching hospitals. You'll need to weigh up how easy or hard it'll be to get to the hospitals. UCD's main hospital is St. Vincents I think. Trinity's main Teaching campus for Physio is St. James'. From 2nd year you'll have nearly all your classes there so you need to be sure that you're able to get there for 9am starts.

some of you points are quite convincing and cheers for the info, the cadaver class sound great and I don't think I'd have a problem with getting to James' although I'd prefer Vincents. One question about you project; I though the reason you can't complete them is the ethical issues regarding students researching and testing their project on people, if you know what I mean? :S

some of you points are quite convincing and cheers for the info, the cadaver class sound great and I don't think I'd have a problem with getting to James' although I'd prefer Vincents. One question about you project; I though the reason you can't complete them is the ethical issues regarding students researching and testing their project on people, if you know what I mean? :S
    You're given a set of research themes to choose from and your proposal has to be approved by the Ethics committee before you go ahead with it.

While I think Trinity edges out UCD, that's not to say UCD is a bad course. It's far from it. In my opinion for Physio, Trinity and UCD should be the top 2 on any CAO list, and it's up to the person themselves to decide which one will be first and the other second!
    If you look at the Sports Medicine masters in TCD which would be the top masters in that area in the country and would be the main Physio post-grad course, I was told just recently by someone who completed that course that only UCD and TCD applications are really considered so that is something to keep in mind as that reflects on the perceived quality of those courses.
    Can't stress how important ease of transport to the hospital teaching sites is though. If you're going to be going there for the next 4 years, you'll want a place that's easy to get to. Also you might want to enquire about the arrangements the college has for any placements outside of Dublin.
    For the Physio school in Trinity you can be placed in Dublin, Wicklow, Cavan, Mullingar or Tullamore and the college will pay for your accommodation, however I don't know if UCD does the same so you might want to enquire about that if you think it might influence your decision.

I'm very close to Vincents whereas James would be a bit harder, although bearing in mind all you've said I think tcd physio might be going on my calendar at the change of mind period, thanks for your help :)

If you've any questions you can PM me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 EoinMeath95

My CAO Application:

1. Education - Primary Teaching (St. Pats)

2. Education - Primary Teaching (Marino)

3. Education - Primary Teaching (NUIM)

4. BA English & French (UCD)

5. Arts (NUIM)

I've always wanted to be a teacher (would hate the idea of doing any other job to be honest). Teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's what I'm passionate about and what I enjoy. I'd hate being stuck in an office job doing something mundane/ boring and that I hate. As a teacher, I'll have a job where I am responsible for the education of the students I teach and I relish the prospect of motivating students to achieve in school and to aim high.

If I don't get into any of my Primary Teaching options, I'll do English and French in UCD and hopefully go on to do secondary teaching.

I might add Mary I in Limerick onto my list aswell (if I can convince my parents to let me go to Limerick if I got it!). Does anyone know if they have any open day between now and the final date for submission of CAO choices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. Science - NUIG
    2. Science - Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences (BBB) -UCD
    3. Clinical Speech and Language Studies - TCD
    4. Speech and Language Therapy - NUIG
    5. Biological and Biomedical Sciences - NUIM
    6. Law - Law with Philosophy - UCD
    7. Journalism with Spanish - DIT
    8. International Languages - Spanish / Italian (TSP) - UCD
    9. History of Art and Architecture/Spanish -TCD
    10. Arts (Drama, Theatre and Performance Studies) - NUIG

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. Dental Nursing -TCD
    2. Interior Design (Dublin) - Griffith College
    3. Journalism and Media - Dublin Business School
    4. Counselling Skills and Psychotherapy Studies - Irish College of Humanities and Applied Sciences
    5. Journalism (Dublin) - Griffith College
    6. Dental Hygiene (Restricted) - TCD
    7. Health Science and Physiology - IT Sligo
    8. Humanities - Carlow College
    9. Physiology and Health Science - IT Carlow

VERY MUCH SO SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!! (Isn't it incredibly random :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 LCR13

1. Primary teaching - Mary I
    2. Primary teaching - Froebel (NUIM)
    3. Primary teaching - St.Pats
    4. Primary Teaching - Marino

Don't know what else :S

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

Me thinks..

LEVEL 8
    1.Law & Arts NUIM
    2. Arts NUIM (pick law as an arts subject, gotta love the backdoor;))
    3. Law & History UCD
    4. Law & Business NUIM
    5. Civil Law NUIG
    6. Arts UCD
    7. Arts with Journalism NUIG
    8. Corporate Law NUIG

LEVEL 7
    Business IT Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Me thinks..

LEVEL 8
    1.Law & Arts NUIM
    2. Arts NUIM (pick law as an arts subject, gotta love the backdoor;))
    3. Law & History UCD
    4. Law & Business NUIM
    5. Civil Law NUIG
    6. Arts UCD
    7. Arts with Journalism NUIG
    8. Corporate Law NUIG

LEVEL 7
    Business IT Sligo
    Let me guess, you want to be an engineer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Let me guess, you want to be an engineer ;)

Yeah but couldn't find any engineering course so I said i'd do law. Like I said gotta love the backdoor :p

Anyone else putting down Law & arts?..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

My CAO;
    1. Physio TCD
    2. Physio UCD
    3. Physio RCSI
    4. Physio UL
    5. Speech and language TCD
    6. Speech and language UCC
    7. Speech and language NUIG
    8. Sports and Rehab Carlow IT
    9. Optometry DIT
    10. Lanauges UCD

.. i hate how the top 7 are all in the 520 - 560 range arghhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Arts in UCC is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

My CAO Application:

1. Education - Primary Teaching (St. Pats)

2. Education - Primary Teaching (Marino)

3. Education - Primary Teaching (NUIM)

4. BA English & French (UCD)

5. Arts (NUIM)

I've always wanted to be a teacher (would hate the idea of doing any other job to be honest). Teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my life and it's what I'm passionate about and what I enjoy. I'd hate being stuck in an office job doing something mundane/ boring and that I hate. As a teacher, I'll have a job where I am responsible for the education of the students I teach and I relish the prospect of motivating students to achieve in school and to aim high.

If I don't get into any of my Primary Teaching options, I'll do English and French in UCD and hopefully go on to do secondary teaching.

I might add Mary I in Limerick onto my list aswell (if I can convince my parents to let me go to Limerick if I got it!). Does anyone know if they have any open day between now and the final date for submission of CAO choices?

Well Eoin

Mary I had their official open day in October but you can arrange a tour around the campus by phoning them up. You'll prob get to chat to faculty and staff and all if you asked them. Myself an a friend of mine from school are doing this with Marino :)

Might be seeing ya in Pats next year hopefully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 HelloFluffy

1. Music and Film Studies in Trinity
    2. Music in Trinity
    3. Music in UCD
    4. Music and Archaeology in UCD
    5. Music in NUIM
    6. Music through Arts in NUIM
    7. Law and Political Science in UCD
    8. Russian and Film Studies in Trinity
    9. Science (common entry) in Trinity

Various auditions for private music places too, the stress is too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annakxo

Mine is
    Level 8
    Journalism-DCU
    Arts/Humanities-St Pats
    International Relations-DCU
    Media/Politics-DCU
    Arts English/History- UCD
    Journalism-DIT
    Film and Broadcast-DIT
    Law-DIT
    Social Care-DIT
    English, Media and Cultural Studies- Dun Laoigrhre!
    Level 6/7
    Video and Film-DKIT
    Social and Community development - Blanchardstown
    Applied Social Studies -Blanch IT
    Community Youth Work-DKIT

Completely random mix of courses but I'd be 100% happy with any of them from both CAOS so thats the main thing! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Finally! There's a boardsie doing Aeronautical Engineering in UL in September. Doing it too!

Ah sorry didn't see this til now! You definitely going for it? Looks unbelievable, cant wait!

Advertisement