Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has there been any change in account closure?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I remember a while back that you couldn't really close an account, but then there was talk of the 'right to be forgotten' legislation proposed by some MEP's. Now that has been delayed too. I am wondering if boards has changed how account closures are handled?

Many of my posts are in a sports subsection that refer to me by name, and have photo's etc. etc. and as such their content is identifiable.

Is there a way to have an account closed and its previous content deleted? I have no desire to have any personal information on this site anymore. The one forum I was interested in is not very appealing any more so I would like to close the book on my 8000 or so posts.

What options are available, and can posts be deleted, and can posts that quote me (including references to my name) be edited, deleted etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

We don't do mass deletes. You can close your account at will otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Spear wrote: »
    We don't do mass deletes. You can close your account at will otherwise.

What about personally identifying information? Does the username change to [deleted] or something?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The username does not change. If there are posts with personal info, you should PM the appropriate mods to remove them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Thanks, I may have to do that.

Out of curiosity has this been discussed in the past? I remember seeing a suggestion to merge all closed accounts to a [deleted] user account.

Not that I recall, but this won't happen, since the hash of the email address has to be retained and that's associated with a UID, so replacing them all with "closed account" as the username wouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement