Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish mobile price plan/network?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people here I have a UK phone and an Irish phone.

Up until 2 weeks ago Vodafone weren't charging me to use data on my Irish phone. Handy for maps etc. My UK phone is a work Blackberry so rubbish for maps, facebook etc.

But they have started charging now so I am wondering what Irish mobile price plan/network people use?

Is there any with a monthly data add on?

Vodafone seem to be planning on charging €2 a day now for 50MB which is no use to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

3: the "3 Like Home" feature means you can use data etc in the UK on the 3 UK network at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Im still trying to find the best one. I have an O2 sim for calling home now as it's well cheap (1p a min) but too expensive for here. I am also reluctant to get a contract as I have no idea what way I will be in 6 months let alone two years! On lebrara for UK sim, they were cheap at the start but now there's nothing exceptional about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

In with O2 but use Skype to text message Irish phones at about 8c a message I think.. Thinking of getting a meteor sim when I go home to stick in an old phone so the little sis can text meteor-meteor for *free*...

Whatsapp is handy too but so many people at home don't have smartphones at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I'm on a Vodafone contract and for £3 per day I can use my UK package in any European country... that includes data etc. I think its a great deal as if I'm away for a week then its only going to cost me £21 to use my phone as much as I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Vodafone Ireland have started ripping me off big time. Look at this carry on for using data in the UK recently:

Vodafone live! Nov 08 00:31:35 23:35:42 €17.78
    Vodafone live! Nov 09 00:07:17 22:16:05 €3.98
    Vodafone live! Nov 10 10:38:40 11:45:46 €3.82
    Vodafone live! Nov 10 01:23:40 22:44:24 €2.07

Instead of saying the amount downloaded it seems to say time or something now.

Before this month I didn't get charged for this usage.

Also my bills were normally around €60. Here is my October bill:

Quick breakdown continued…
    VAT at 23.0% on €€298.68 68.69
    VAT at 0.0% on €€9.99 0.00
    Total due €377.36
    by Direct Debit on 1 December 2012

So they have just changed my price plan without my consent and quadrupled my bill.

Surely that is illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

PH4T, your best bet is going to be to talk to Vodafone directly - you can do so in their Biz > Talk To forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

BuffyBot wrote: »
    3: the "3 Like Home" feature means you can use data etc in the UK on the 3 UK network at no extra cost.

I have this and it's great.

However, AFAIK, the use of units is only applied to calls and texts made to Irish numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Jev/N wrote: »
    I have this and it's great.

However, AFAIK, the use of units is only applied to calls and texts made to Irish numbers

I'm not to bothered about calls or texts as I have a UK phone.

It's just data.

Can you use you Irish data allowance in the UK if you are on the 3 UK network?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

PH4T wrote: »
    Can you use you Irish data allowance in the UK if you are on the 3 UK network?

Yep, data is included in the deal as well. I'm on an old plan though so not sure if the AYCE data would apply as well but I'm assuming it would

Advertisement