Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lid or cork for 1 gallon demijohns?

Options
  • 03-11-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi guys

Does anybody know where you can purchase corks or preferably screw top lids for a 1 gallon demijohns in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Tesco now stocking home brew stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭north south east west

No way. Thats brilliant, will have a look. Hopefully they will have them.

Ring ahead. Only know of some for sure - Maynooth, naas, clearwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Does anybody know where you can purchase corks or preferably screw top lids for a 1 gallon demijohns in Dublin?

Screw top lids? A demi john wont have a screw thread. If you are not pressurising the DJ then a regular rubber bung, unbored will do.

Are you pressurising it? I wouldn't recommend that, they are not designed for that pressure. However they could be very good indeed for aging wine, or a few wild ferments (mead, birch sap etc.)

+1. There is always an embossed message around the bottom of the jar - NOT A PRESSURISED CONTAINER. Anything can stay in them safely for aging if ferment is dead and they are degassed. Or else with an airlock containing vodka or sanitizer.

• Advertisement

I'm not actually brewing beer. I want to use them to store spring water. Just thought this would be the best forum to ask :D I have two brown demijohns that have threads in them on the outside. Corks would probably do me also.

Go with the corks, they are cheap. You could even stretch clingfilm and hold it on with a rubber band.

redser7 wrote: »
    Go with the corks, they are cheap. You could even stretch clingfilm and hold it on with a rubber band.

Thanks I will. Tried Tesco with no luck. Do you know any other shops in Dublin that would stock them?

Surprised. The Health Stores do a limited range of HB. Otherwise online places like homebrewwest.ie

Or you could drop this chap a line and see if he has any ...
    http://www.adverts.ie/crazy-random-stuff/lot-of-home-brewing-equipment-ingredients/2220572?notification=6a60b131b1119df330b59671b628dcd5-1352093717#comment_10875414

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In a pinch you could roll up a ball of tinfoil, fairly loosely, then squeeze it in and squish it more so it forms a plug

• Advertisement
Advertisement